MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally paid it off, and picked it up!!!!

S&W Model 65. Previous back up gun for local cop.

Can't wait to go shoot it (After mandetory cleaning. Finish could definately use some polishing too :roll: ...)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very cool! Congrats on a great buy. I think everyone should have at least one old wheel gun in their possession. It's just part of our American Heritage. These guns are built like tanks and will virtually last forever. They shoot straight and are reliable. What else can you ask of a firearm. Here is my old Colt .357 amgnum. My Grandpa bought it new in 1954. My Dad carried it as a service revolver when he was a Sheriff's Deputy, now it is in my night stand for home defense.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Very nice...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted older colt python 357 for the longest time. But they are rather expensive.

But then once i pulled DA trigger on S&W wheel gun(My buddy's M586), I was hooked on their 2 stage trigger pull

(I donno if you call it that. its start out bit heavy, then halfway through,just as wheel starts to turn, it gets lighter and smoother, and just about hammer is gonna drop, you'll hear "click" as wheel lock in to place telling you hammer is gonna drop, and from there you squeez everso smoothly).

In comparason, i think colt's(Not just colt's. Ruger's as well. But i think Rossie have very similer pull as S&W on their wheel gun imo) DA trigger pull is sort of flat and less dramatic.

I'm gonna replace wood with something else(Checker is bit too rough to my liking), and polish up the finish. But overall, this was an excellent buy

·
Registered
42 Posts
My father has the wheel gun that I want. One of these days I'll convince him to give it to me. It's a nickel plated first generation Colt .38 Dective Special snubbie. If I can't convince him soon that it's better being shot by me than collecting dust in his closet, I'll have to replace the 6" Ruger Security Six that I sold over the winter. I asked him when the Colt was shot last, and he said that he didn't know, and that I was the last person to shoot it. I haven't shot it in about 17 or 18 years. I don't keep safe queens. It was the same story with his 1891 Argentine Mauser, I convinced him to give it to me and I shoot it regularly. Guns were meant to be shot and shot often. A large group of friends an I went shooting a few weeks ago and ran more ammo through that Mauser in a day than it's had run through it in the last 25 years or so.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i hate trailer queen muscle cars, and I hate safe queen guns. its just not what they were ment to do.

I shoot all my gun regulerly (Except 1), and clean them often(At least once a week), and never EVER collect dust!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Look at the grip on my old Colt. You can see the checkering has worn off on one side due to my Dad's arm rubbing it all those years he wore it on duty. And there is a lot of holster wear on the bluing. I call that "character". I shoot it regularly and it is a sweetheart. My Dad was a Marine before he was a Sheriff. You should have seen how accurate he was with that thing. ....plum scary.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
I've got a model 66 I carried as a duty weapon for a number of years, 65 and 66 are both excellent revolvers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts