MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my sigma 9VE a couple days ago and been hesitant

on posting my thoughts about this weapon feeling like maybe

I needed some time to maybe get used to it or something.

I haven't fired the weapon yet so I cant testify to it in that respect, but

what I can tell you is the trigger is crap. Ive been squeezing the trigger

for about an half hour trying to loosen it up and honestly.. my forearm is on fire

and my finger hurts. I'm reminded of one of those devices that you squeeze

to improve the strength of your handshake. I'm sure this gun isn't going to be

fun to shot at all. Another thing I find completely retarded is the field strip method.

It's just a pain in the ass! I find it very uncomfortable & awkward. The way the manual

says to do it is probably the worst & slowest way. I find it easier to pull the slide back >

lock it> push down on them stupid little glock-a-like buttons > release the slide > then

pull the trigger, and it comes right off. If you fallow the manual you'll find your self figgitting

around almost dropping it and before you know it you have the gun pointed at yourself.

God forbid if you have trace amounts of gun oil on your fingers... kiss your butt goodbye.

And that brings up another complaint. why have them glock-a-like buttons on both side and only

have the slide lock/release on one side. If they did the complete opposite of what they did

it would make for a better weapon imo.

I only paid $99 so I'm not too pissed but over all I think the sigma is a colossal failure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its reliable and would protect you just fine (as long as you

didn't need to use it while your hand was asleep) but I'll be trading mine in on either a

m&p9c , taurus judge, or saiga 12.

On a happy note.. My M&P45 & M&P15T are fantastic and Smith overall is awesome. 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've said before that if I consider the Sigma to be a 17-round DA revolver, it works fine. If I treat it like an IPSC race gun, my accuracy suffers.

You've got to manage your expectations, amigo. And the big "Failed" before shooting the thing . . . not so great for your credibility as a reviewer.
Hope you find happiness with your Taurus or whatever. :wink:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I traded my old yugo SKS for a 1st generation sigma. Took it to the range dumped about 100 rounds through her. All in all a fun pistol to shoot, trigger broke a little weird but again nice little shooter for the $!! Ended up giving it to my lil brother as a going away gift to send him on his way to Cali. Had to keep the high cap mags of course...lol

Anyway, for the price you just cant go wrong with a Sigma 8) But for some it just doesnt cut the cake I guess.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I fired a rented Sigma befoe I purchased my M&P. The two guns are not even in the same league. The trigger is the biggest complaint about the Sigma, but it ain't bad for the money. On the other hand, I saw a post on another forum where a guy said, "For a gun I carry pointed at my butt crack, I feel safer with a 12-lb trigger!"

To each his own!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I took the sigma to the range and popped off 200 rounds yesterday.

It was a fun little shooter so I was wrong in that respect. Although when emptying

clips fast there were a few times I though I had a jam or ran out of ammo... but

every time it was just because I didn't pull the trigger hard enough. Something that

probably would never be an issue if you were much more familiar with the weapon.

I'm not a great shooter but I was able to hit a 1'x1' bullseye target a few times out

from 50 feet while walking sideways, backwards and forward. It was in some ways

a relief... my 45 is loud and kicks more and of course only holds 10 rounds as opposed

to the sigma 9mm's 16 rd hi-cap mag. So I think a smaller caliber hand gun is definitely

in the works for me & the sigma would probably work for what I'm wanting to use it for....

If it wasn't for that crummy field strip method. If it wasn't for that I could probably deal

with the trigger. That alone kills the sigma, imo. I think smith has the right idea with the

sigma line as a whole. but I would like them to address 3 things ..

1) Change the field strip method of the sigma so it is similar to that of the

M&P's while adding one slide lock/release so their is one on each side.

2.) Lighten the damn trigger.

3.) Change the grips texture. I think it would be better if it was more aggressive to the

touch with less of a repetitive look. I'm thinking something similar to a spray on bed liner's

texture and appearance.

If they made these improvements on the 3rd gen sigmas I would buy one

provided that they can keep them in their current price range. As far as the one

I got on 12-23-07 for $99... I sold it yesterday for $300 w/ a holster to a guy at

the gun range. All's well that ends well, I'm off to look at M&P9c's. 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
They're not going to "upgrade" or redesign the Sigma, so your helpful suggestions are sort of silly. It's "Yesterday's technology, TODAY!," and we're just getting bargains on them b/c Smith has so many around. I see them being phased out by the end of '08 (not that I know anything) and the M&P (its obvious successor) reigning supreme.

That said, I shot MY Sigma again yesterday, and could not believe what a value the gun represents. I put a some Winchester 127-gr +P+ RA9TA through it and got an average of 1400 fps - that's what the OLD STYLE .357 Mags 125-grainer did out of a 4" tube. What a gun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts