MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent my MP9 back to S&W a couple weeks ago because it shot 6" low at 15 yards. Had a friend shoot it too, verifying it was the gun not me. When packing it I removed all items from the box except for the orange plug and included one mag with the pistol for testing purposes.

Got it back today. The note says they changed the front sight. I was definitely happy to hear that. When I picked up the pistol to examine my new front sight I noticed the mag was missing. Checked under the foam, nothing.

After all this talk of others receiving night sights and extra mags I was shocked that not only did they not throw in a spare mag, they took the one I gave them!!! Also did not include the S&W brown paper I like to keep the gun in to avoid contact with the foam.

No problem, I'll just call them up on Monday and have them send me one. This actually has happened to me before. I sent a Walther PPK back, this time I left both mags in the box. They only returned one. They were nice on the phone when I called them and they sent that one out as soon as they had stock ready. I thought I'd learned my lesson on that one, which is why I only sent one mag, instead of two!

By the way, I am definitely not really upset over this. I actually find it amusing they did it twice. I'll call them, they'll fix it. Going to be a couple weeks before I get a chance to test out those new sights!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
zenner22 said:
Sent my MP9 back to S&W a couple weeks ago because it shot 6" low at 15 yards. Had a friend shoot it too, verifying it was the gun not me. When packing it I removed all items from the box except for the orange plug and included one mag with the pistol for testing purposes.
You learned an important lesson. Never return a pistol to the factory with any accessories including magazines. If they need one they'll have a few thousand laying around to test it with. Many times they'll just go ahead leave it in there as a courtesy when they return it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the need to send in a S&W.380 for repair and did not send in the magazine and they were good enough to return it with a free magazine. All of my dealings with S&W over the past 30 some years have been very good.

·
Registered
171 Posts
zenner22 said:
Sorry for the OT, but what for and where is the orange plug used in?

·
Registered
512 Posts
sherpa said:
Sorry for the OT, but what for and where is the orange plug used in?

It is a pretty worthless piece in my opinion; however it supposed to be placed in the chamber when you close the slide with the little tab sticking out to indicate an empty chamber.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just called S&W about my missing magazine. Surprisingly, the guy gave me a hard time at first. He claimed the person receiving the package did not check off on the form that a magazine was included with it! I insisted that there was indeed one included with the gun. He sounded like he didn't believe me, but relented and said he'd send one out.

He said that the honest people when they find their missing magazines at home have the decency to call S&W back and report it. :roll:

He took a surprising tone with me, but I'm getting my mag back so I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
zenner22 said:
I just called S&W about my missing magazine. Surprisingly, the guy gave me a hard time at first. He claimed the person receiving the package did not check off on the form that a magazine was included with it! I insisted that there was indeed one included with the gun. He sounded like he didn't believe me, but relented and said he'd send one out.

He said that the honest people when they find their missing magazines at home have the decency to call S&W back and report it. :roll:

He took a surprising tone with me, but I'm getting my mag back so I'm ok with that.
I would call back and speak with a manager.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
sholling said:
I would call back and speak with a manager.

I would accept that if their routing form said you didn't send a magazine, then the CS guy has nothing but your word that his computer screen is lying to him. Be glad you are getting a new magazine and be done with it. No sense arguing after you got your way ...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='sholling']I would call back and speak with a manager.

I would accept that if their routing form said you didn't send a magazine, then the CS guy has nothing but your word that his computer screen is lying to him. Be glad you are getting a new magazine and be done with it. No sense arguing after you got your way ...[/quote]

yeah well when you are giving them away for free to new customers, why go out of the way to piss off your existing ones?

People screw up, so I NEVER send antything back with a gun that I want to see again unless it has a serial number on it and is being serviced.

They are never going to be 100% on processing things, and I don't want to argue with them. They made the thing, they can scare up a magazine, find a scope for it, or whatever.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I would not react well to that kind of comment from CS.

zenner22 said:

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Keep in mind, right in the book it says to remove everything, and only send in the pistol.

·
Registered
434 Posts
just curious how did you and your friend zero in that m&p?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I admit I did not consult the manual on how to ship back the pistol. I went by the separate sheet of Return or Repair Shipping Instructions that was included with the return label. The only mention on that sheet about what to include in the box is a letter and to not ship ammo. Didn't say anything else about what to include or not to include in the box. At the time it just seemed logical that you'd send a pistol with a magazine. I won't make that mistake again.

As far as zeroing in the pistol, that was the problem! Normally on the first time out I'm not nitpicky on accuracy, I want to see if the thing will feed properly, get used to the new sights, trigger. I was extremely disappointed in the offhand accuracy but I figured it was just something I had to get used to. I had plenty other things to shoot so the first day did not discourage me. Second time out I took a more serious look at where this thing was shooting. I found in order to hit the black on a bullseye target I was angling the gun up to the point where I was actually seeing the top of the slide behind the front sight! Although I loved shooting the gun I was seriously thinking of getting rid of it; if I can't hit what I'm aiming at then what good is any pistol? I have several other handguns of different types so it's not like I'd never been shooting before.

Then I benched it, along with a friend of mine, and we discovered it was shooting way low for both of us. The final group was there but it was about six inches low with sight on center of mass. I've heard some other complaints about this which leads me to believe there was a small run of these that escaped the factory with this problem.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
zenner22 said:
At the time it just seemed logical that you'd send a pistol with a magazine. I won't make that mistake again.
When I sent my USP in to HK they wanted me to send a mag with it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!
And especially since they seem to be giving them away like Halloween candy! 'Tis the season even....
I would not have sat well with the ridicule either!

Just my .02

·
Registered
78 Posts
when i sent my M&P back for work they told me not to ship mag w/ the pistol. When I sent my Beretta PX4 Storm back for work, beretta told me in a very important and matter of fact waynot to ship a mag with the pistol they really only wanted the frame back. In both instances i recieved either a free mag frm smith and a free mag loader frm beretta.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello all, newb here... but just wanted to know, how is it shooting now? i have a m&p40c. i got a few weeks ago. i had the same experience with mine. my buddy and i where outdoor shooting, and with the first mag, i couldn't even tell where my shots where going! i let my buddy let out another mag. he's a cop. he even did the car door prop thing... same deal. after inspecting we accessed it was shooting way low, where i thought it was shooting high and over the targets, (milk jugs on tree stumps). after about 50 rounds i got it figured to where if set the front dot over the rears it was right on. 100 rounds through it as of now. going to wait till i go to the indoor range to make sure. two shooter same effect on this one?? ...other than that i really like the gun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your gun was shooting LOW (as is mine) you need a LOWER front sight in order to raise the POI.

Remember, move the REAR sight in the direction that you want the POI to go, UP in your case and the OPPOSITE for the front sight.

So, I do not know how your POI rose if the replacement front sight was taller than the original?

·
Registered
4 Posts
not sure, thats why i'm going to ask... but the stock sights are fixed right? i mean they CAN be knocked left and right, but can the rear be raised or lowered? is the set screw just that, a set screw to secure it or is it a adjuster? seams like just locks it in place to me, but i haven't taken it apart to know for sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts