MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my M&P9 back from Smith this past weekend, sent it in for warranty work. They changed the extractor and the ejector (it had a crack in it when I bought it) I sent the gun in through my dealership and it took about 3 weeks to get it back, not bad considering Christmas and New Year's holidays in there. I took it out and fired 100 rounds throught it and only had one hiccup, again with WWB. All my handloads worked perfectly, so I am staying away from WWB for now. All well, just thought I'd give a report.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Was there any other reason, besides the cracked ejector that you sent it back?

What sort of "hiccup" did you have with WWB?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Am I understanding this correctly, even after returning from S&W you still have a failure to extract with WWB? What is it about this gun and ammo combo that just doesn't work?

·
Registered
422 Posts
UPSguy said:
Am I understanding this correctly, even after returning from S&W you still have a failure to extract with WWB? What is it about this gun and ammo combo that just doesn't work?

The XD is the same way with WWB. The lip on the casing isnt deep enough.

·
Registered
52 Posts
UPSguy said:

Several thousand rounds down the chute of my M&P, and the only round that didn't work perfect was a round of WWB, which failed to extract.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
nikon777 said:
[quote name='UPSguy']Am I understanding this correctly, even after returning from S&W you still have a failure to extract with WWB? What is it about this gun and ammo combo that just doesn't work?

The XD is the same way with WWB. The lip on the casing isnt deep enough.[/quote]

And frankly it may not even be all WWB. A BUNCH of people shooting a lot of platforms have had issues with WWB around the same time. Which was also the same time they started farming WWB out to a new contractor from what some people were saying.

Like you said, the issue was with the depth of the case rim being at the ragged edge of spec.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
raz-0 said:
[quote name='nikon777'][quote name='UPSguy']Am I understanding this correctly, even after returning from S&W you still have a failure to extract with WWB? What is it about this gun and ammo combo that just doesn't work?

The XD is the same way with WWB. The lip on the casing isnt deep enough.[/quote]

And frankly it may not even be all WWB. A BUNCH of people shooting a lot of platforms have had issues with WWB around the same time. Which was also the same time they started farming WWB out to a new contractor from what some people were saying.

Like you said, the issue was with the depth of the case rim being at the ragged edge of spec.[/quote]

Raz - Can you hook me up with some links showing other platforms had the same problems? I'm not questioning you, I'd just like to learn more about this issue because I too had one FTE with my M&P and WWB but I've never had this problem with my Glocks.

ETA: I've seen one G22 owner on Glocktalk.com complain about the same thing shooting .40S&W but I haven't seen any 9mm Glock owners mention this type of failure.

·
Registered
495 Posts
raz-0 said:
[quote name='nikon777'][quote name='UPSguy']Am I understanding this correctly, even after returning from S&W you still have a failure to extract with WWB? What is it about this gun and ammo combo that just doesn't work?

Like you said, the issue was with the depth of the case rim being at the ragged edge of spec.[/quote]I would be very interested in seeing those links also as I have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of WWB with no issues other than the 6 FTEs I have had with the M&P.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There were two reasons I sent my M&P back to Smith. First was the FTE WWB. The second was that the ejector had a crack in it. They replaced the extractor and the ejector.

The funny thing I notice about the problem with WWB is that I can handload the WWB brass and it works fine, so I don't know what I think about the brass being out of spec as some have suggested.

I have measured the case rim on S&B, and it is about the same as WWB.

I do know that I will keep an eye on it for a while before I use it for carry. For the time being I will avoid WWB.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thought:

My handloads are just a little warmer than the WWB, not too much though.

Could it be that WWB is too light of a load for the M&P? I'm not an expert, but it's a thought.

·
Registered
495 Posts
revolverman357 said:
There were two reasons I sent my M&P back to Smith. First was the FTE WWB. The second was that the ejector had a crack in it. They replaced the extractor and the ejector.

The funny thing I notice about the problem with WWB is that I can handload the WWB brass and it works fine, so I don't know what I think about the brass being out of spec as some have suggested.

I have measured the case rim on S&B, and it is about the same as WWB.

I do know that I will keep an eye on it for a while before I use it for carry. For the time being I will avoid WWB.

Good to see the rim thingy put to rest, at least in your case. As far as your reloads being a tad hotter that isn't an issue. The rounds are ejecting and locking the slide back with the WWB so they are warm enough.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Could this be related to when they were produced? My M&P9 has fired everything I've put in it, including WWB without problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts