MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been waiting for S&W to make this pistol for years since the 2.0 came out. Ordered up the first one I could get my hands on, waited 2 or 3 weeks, and it arrived today...with a hokey looking raw steel barrel. My other 9mm, my 357, the 40 I just sold along with the 2 other factory barrels I own are all black with that hard coating that S&W uses. This one just looks like I bought an aftermarket barrel and didn't pay extra for a black one. Anyone else run into this? I'm going to contact them and see what the deal is.

Edit: Silly me, all the photos on the website are from the left side, but if you look REALLY close you can see the top of the barrel hood and it's raw stainless. Guess I'm the sucker.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I put Wilson Combat stainless steel barrels in two of my M&P pistol models 5-6 years ago. It doesn’t look to me like they’re worn any more than the stock black barrels in any of my other M&Ps.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Sounds like they changed their spec's. Sell the gun or get it changed if it bothers you enough.

Lots of us have been shooting for many decades and the vast majority of semi-autos produced in the past have barrels installed that were left in the white whether SS or carbon steel. I personally have semi-autos with many thousands of rounds through them, as do others here, with no ill effects from having the wrong color. I guess I don't see the problem other than one of cosmetics. I suggest you look at the gun from the rear, eyes using the sights, with a firm hold so that you don't get much muzzle flip and used in that manner you're less likely to see the barrel color. Training means far more than barrel color.

But if it really bothers you it can be sent out and can be coated with the result being a different color. Heck, you can even get it coated with a hard gold color (TiNi?) if that floats your boat. But I think you'd be better off to worry about barrel color less and put the $ into training and ammo.

Whoops! I could be missing the point entirely though since I have guns that get used and aren't for show unless one is looking at the business end. But then they might be less concerned with barrel color and more concerned with where it's being aimed. Is this a gun used for show, like a BBQ gun? And used much less for actual shooting? Then I can see where barrel color could be an issue. The gold barrel would really look nice for that. Not being into that at all I forgot that others can be.

Reactions: Rick M

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The most expensive pistol I own, a Wilson stainless Tactical Carry with several upgrades; came with a “raw stainless” barrel.

I think there may be a clue in there somewhere...

7EE6203F-97A8-425B-B012-8B73974DD721.jpeg

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Rick, so when did Wilson start selling junk? :D

Nice gun from a great mfgr' !

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sounds like they changed their spec's. Sell the gun or get it changed if it bothers you enough.

Lots of us have been shooting for many decades and the vast majority of semi-autos produced in the past have barrels installed that were left in the white whether SS or carbon steel.
I think you missed the OP's point. Apparently he has owned several M&Ps in the past and this new one is the only one to have a barrel in the white.

Making this even stranger is the fact I have two M&P9 2.0s, one 5" bought three years ago and the other is a brand new this week 5" PC CORE version. Both of these have the barrels that are completely black coated so the OP's gun is truly unusual and perhaps a mistake on S&W's part unless the ported barrels are really that different. I'd call them to get an explanation.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I missed nothing. My ported CORE barrel is also in the white though I didn't state that because the issue was completely irrelevant. It's cosmetics only. Instead of dwelling on the meaningless issue of what color the barrel is he would be better served by concentrating on other things. I thought I made that quite plain as did Rick.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I missed nothing. My ported CORE barrel is also in the white though I didn't state that because the issue was completely irrelevant. It's cosmetics only. Instead of dwelling on the meaningless issue of what color the barrel is he would be better served by concentrating on other things. I thought I made that quite plain as did Rick.
Color can indeed be just a cosmetic issue unless the difference is some form of functional hard coating like Nitriding or DLC and their absence where expected could mean a production error.

However, more relevant to the OP's original question, I just saw a couple of Youtube videos on the M&P2.0 CORE models and they show the un-ported guns (like mine) have an all-black barrel while the ported guns have an in-the-white barrel so it seems the OP's gun is correctly finished.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rick...the whole gun is stainless...of course the barrel is .

Smith, correct and thank you. Several M&Ps, several Glocks, an H&K, a Walther, a Taurus, a Ruger, an RIA/P80 not to mention what's been sold over the years. Every one of them finished in black with a black barrel. Threaded, plain, ported whatever - always black. I don't think I got something weird, I think S&W did something weird and changed the barrel color for this one model to it's raw form, and it irritates me.

I appreciate everyone's opinion here, so appreciate mine. It also looks cheap. There are even machining marks on it. Not acceptable to me for their top of the line M&P.

·
Registered
261 Posts
They are all stainless underneath that black coating, but I know I'd want my barrel to be black too. Raw stainless looks right on a pistol that has a stainless barrel and slide, like Rick's Wilson 1911, but not am all black M&P.
Me, I'd just Cerakote the barrel black, or dark grey, but I'm set up to Cerakote and could do it for a few dollars and 20 minutes of my time.

You shouldn't have to lay out money to fix it.
I'd call S&W and tell them you want to send that barrel back and get another.
Machining marks on it aren't something any of us would want to accept on a new pistol.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
They are all stainless underneath that black coating, but I know I'd want my barrel to be black too. Raw stainless looks right on a pistol that has a stainless barrel and slide, like Rick's Wilson 1911, but not am all black M&P.
Me, I'd just Cerakote the barrel black, or dark grey, but I'm set up to Cerakote and could do it for a few dollars and 20 minutes of my time.

You shouldn't have to lay out money to fix it.
I'd call S&W and tell them you want to send that barrel back and get another.
Machining marks on it aren't something any of us would want to accept on a new pistol.
One of my M&Ps, and my 9c, have stainless Wilson Combat barrels; and they look fine.

This is my 9c, shown in a Panther Concealment paddle holster:

3E2C4101-2989-437F-95D0-2A7F8DAC49BD.jpeg

A couple of the posts above indicate that the OP’s barrel is correctly finished; that model comes with the stainless barrel in the white.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Confirmed by S&W today, "The PC has their barrels polished instead of having them Ammonite coated." Sucks, but in reality I didn't look at the picture closely enough, just assumed that since every barrel has been black since the gun was released in what, 04, that this one would be too. I'm sure it's a great gun, just like my others, but it's gonna bug me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The standard CORE 2.0 have Ammonite barrels and the PC CORE pistols both 1.0 and 2.0 have the polished SS barrel. I have 1 PC CORE 1.0 and a CORE 2.0 I prefer the 2.0 only for the extra texture other wise they are pretty much the same with the APEX triggers in both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That new grip texture is a serious upgrade, I will say that. Trigger is pretty good, but I need to get an Apex in there for the blade, I don't like the trigger to change shape as I pull it. Got a brand new 1.0 trigger laying around of course, won't fit the 2.0 though.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Confirmed by S&W today, "The PC has their barrels polished instead of having them Ammonite coated." Sucks, but in reality I didn't look at the picture closely enough, just assumed that since every barrel has been black since the gun was released in what, 04, that this one would be too. I'm sure it's a great gun, just like my others, but it's gonna bug me.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Plus you stated that you were going to call them and weren't asking, "Should I call them?". So I didn't even address that issue. You had your say and that's what I figured your post was about.

But understand, the barrel isn't a high wear item. That's why Ricks Baer gun doesn't have a finished barrel. Baer makes good stuff and if it was worth doing they'd be doing it. We tried to say as much with our banter. From what I can remember from what I have in the safe the handguns that have finished barrels also have stationary or exposed barrels and the ones that have barrels that move aren't finished*. It's been that way for over a hundred years. Yeah, I know some of them are finished today but I think that's more as a form of bait and hook to land a buyer. Other parts of the gun have far more wear and those parts will affect the firearm far more. Most owners simply won't run a gun enough for it to become an issue even on the high wear parts.

* That could be because they don't want anything added that will screw up a fitted barrel. I know if one gets a handgun coated with NP3+ they won't coat the outside of the barrel for that reason. There could be other reasons as well with a ported barrel, but I'm not a gunsmith. Finished barrels might be "matched" from out of a bin of barrels (but don't count on it) so that they can be finished first and not affect the mass produced gun built from out of a parts bin. I don't see a finished barrel as being done for quality since it wasn't fitted and the finish on it reflects that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts