MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after work, two buddies of mine all decided to head out the their local range all armed with .40 cal pistols. A Glock 22, XD compact, and my virgin M&P. Armed with 400 rounds of Winchester white box stuff between the 3 guns, we all had a turn with each piece. All of us had various sized hands and all 3 backstraps were interchanged for each shooter. They loved it!! The accuracy was excellent amongst all 3, but the groupings were much tighter with the M&P and the recoil was the least of all 3 also, which may have led to lots of tight groupings with quick fire shots. All 3 were great to shoot, but the M&P had the most pluses tonight. The price point, promotions for the 2 spare mags, free range bag, ergonomics, low recoil, and accuracy all factored into this being the favorable gun. There was also another shooter with another M&P 40 and he loved it as well. So far, nothing but good things about this pistol!! Smith and Wesson is gonna set a new standard with this model. Now I see what all the hype is about.

I can't wait to completely break this baby in! So how many rounds are typically needed? I put about 150 rounds through it tonight and I'm seeing lots of copper debris in the bore right now just before I clean it. Thank you guys for a great forum. :wink:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Awesome news, now your goal is to convert them too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cool.. Yeah.. I can still remember the first time I shot my M&P40 about a year ago.. It was awesome.. I fired 100rds through it and was very impressed.. And everyone that has fired it has been impressed with it.. My buddy and I took our CWP class together.. I knew what I wanted to get.. But he was all up in the air.. He had fired my full size and loved it.. So when my 40c came in, he fired it and tried it out.. He feel in love.. Next thing I know.. He ordered it through Bud's Guns.. Also the free mags and range bag helped some..

Glad you had a good time and got to compare other manufacturers at the same time..

Ben

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good deal. I had a similar experience a few days ago. Went to the range with my friend's glock 26 compact 9mm and my 9c. Fun to do a direct comparison between the two. Frankly it was night and day difference to me at least. Glock's are absurdly uncomfortable when I hold them, then about 5x worse when I actually SHOOT them. M&P had much less perceived "recoil" and just smoother all around IMO. I hope to go shoot mine alot more today if possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I sold my Glock 17 Wed night and bought a Ful size M&P 9mm. Yesterday I met some friends at the range and we ran about 300 rounds through it. It ran 100% flawless. We ran mostly Remington 115gr FMJ, but also ran some Hornady TAP 147JHP and Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHPs. One of my friends that shot now wants to sell the Taurus 24/7 as get an M&P !!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
It really amazes me about how many people put down the M&P until they actually shoot it.. You always get the "It is a Glock wantabe." or "Just another plastic gun", etc.. Then when they shoot it.. They are like.. "WOW!!" And end up trading their Glock, XD, etc in on a M&P..

Ben

·
Registered
49 Posts
The M&P's are great. No other way to put it for me. I have 3 of them now. I still have my G23, I still like to shoot it once in a while, but prefer the M&P. My M&P 40 is my duty weapon and carried all the time. I have a kel-tec for second weapon or lite concealed carry. If I really had the money I would get the New, S&W M&P AR 15. Now thats a weapon.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was a Glock owner. I wasn't a KoolAid Glock owner, I accepted that other pistols were worth wile, but I too thought the M&P was just another Johnny Come Lately Glock. I first shot the M&P at the Carolina Cup last year. I really liked it and decided I should get one. I got the full-size .40, tested it, found it just as reliable as my Glock 22 and a lot more comfortable to shoot. The Glock is now history, and every time I handle one now I am so unimpressed with the grip, trigger, and overall feel I can't imagine how I was every happy with one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SLYang1012 said:
[quote name='greenpea76']... There was also another shooter with another M&P 40 and he loved it as well....

Hey GreenPea, were u the one at brea shooting range last friday?[/quote]

Yes it was me!!! You were the other guy with a Virgin M&P??? Good to see you on here.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I also prefer the M&P 40 over the Glock 23 after shooting my M&P for the for the first time yesterday. Of course the ergonomics is the biggest difference to me, but the recoil of the M&P is also considerably less than the G23.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ben2112 said:
Cool.. Yeah.. I can still remember the first time I shot my M&P40 about a year ago.. It was awesome.. I fired 100rds through it and was very impressed.. And everyone that has fired it has been impressed with it.. My buddy and I took our CWP class together.. I knew what I wanted to get.. But he was all up in the air.. He had fired my full size and loved it.. So when my 40c came in, he fired it and tried it out.. He feel in love.. Next thing I know.. He ordered it through Bud's Guns.. Also the free mags and range bag helped some..

Glad you had a good time and got to compare other manufacturers at the same time..

Ben

I sent in for my free magazines - how do you get the range bag?

·
Registered
937 Posts
To the OP: Break in is 200-300 rounds, from what I've heard from most people. That's the time it takes to get the "grit" out of the trigger. After that, it just gets sweeter.

I kinda lucked out when I bought my M&P40. I had previously bought a Sigma 40VE which shot nice, but for a beginner, it was a bit rough. That and I wasn't too crazy about the amount of support for reloads. I saw the M&P for only a hundred more than I paid for the Sigma and picked it up. I had only handled Glocks in the store, but I knew they didn't fit my hands right. The XD also wasn't quite right, but it was better than the Glock. The M&P felt right from the get-go, was fully supported, and was all-American, so I bought one without test firing, and have been in love ever since. I'm glad my luck-ship comes in every now and then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Z71bill, the range bag is a sticky found in the general discussions area. It doesn't end til about end of July. I think it may have been extended so you're in luck.

FieroCDSP, thanks for answering my break in question!! I bought my M&P under similar circumstances as yourself and my feelings towards the Glock and the XD are the same.

·
Registered
343 Posts
MTech said:
so you can get both the range bag and the mags if you buy an M&P or??

yup, you can get both the bag and the free mags.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got to try the M&P 9/40/45 along side the new HK45, HK45c, P2000, FNP, and Glocks at the DOE/NTC SPOTC 2007.

Liked the M&P so much I went home, traded away my Glocks and HKs and got 6 of them: 2 each in 9/40/45.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow..now that's a statement right there. I'd like to try some other M&Ps out, especially the 45 and see what I think about it. I absolutely love my 9c. Grats on the trades hope you continue to enjoy them!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought the M&P 9 full-size due to the Bud's price and magazine promotion. I own a XD-9 sub-compact and was only going to keep one of them depending on how I liked the M&P.

I fired the M&P for the first time last week. The XD-9 will be listed on Gunbroker very soon! I really like the XD, too, I just like the M&P so much more and don't need them both.

I'm far more accurate with the M&P. I believe this is due to the superior ergonomics. I also like the trigger a lot.

A buddy of mine with a Ruger P89 is seriously considering selling his Ruger towards a new M&P. He went on and on about how much he liked the grip and the trigger compared to that of his P89.

Both of us were more accurate with the M&P that we had never fired than with guns which we had fired hundreds of rounds.

This is my first Smith and I have to say I'm really impressed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts