MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried 2 different mags and 2 different ammo JHP and it wont feed when i try to cycle it locks up! regular jacketed ammo is no problem just the HP's it wont cycle.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
jediihaf said:
My Manual for my 40c says in big bold letters, No +P Ammo of any kind. Are the 9mm the same way?
Well that's odd considering there is no such thing as +p in .40.

FLJohn said:
tried 2 different mags and 2 different ammo JHP and it wont feed when i try to cycle it locks up! regular jacketed ammo is no problem just the HP's it wont cycle.
When you say you tried to cycle it, does that mean manually or did you try to fire it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not sure i know it says +P+ ammo is a no no, but in my opinion +P is for self defense not something i would shoot on a regular basis. Problem is the compact is such a short barrel that you wont get the right amount of force behind the bullet to get optimum expansion (just my opinion i have no facts on this). They do make a short barrel defense ammo but hard to find places that stock it. i tried +P and regular Gold Dot so the +P doesnt matter i still have the same problem.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
FLJohn said:
Problem is the compact is such a short barrel that you wont get the right amount of force behind the bullet to get optimum expansion (just my opinion i have no facts on this).
The compact has a 3.5" barrel and .40 and 9mm loads are made for 4" barrels. Close enough - you won't have expansion problems.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All my manuel says is +P generates pressure in excess of the pressures associates with standard ammo. and that it may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of afety and could be dangerous. Then is goes on the say that +P+ ammo must not be used in S&W weapons at all. So it sound to me there saying use the +P at your own risk but to never use +P+!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My compact back in hospital.....

My MP 9mm Compact is back to S & W for the 2nd time for FTF (failure to feed) problems. S & W has had it about a week now. The last problem I had with FTF was at the range running WWB ammo. that I usually use at the range. Love my MP's and really miss my little compact but have faith S & W will solve the problem. From what I have heard it's very rare to have these problems with MP's. The FTF problem was solved after the 1st trip back but started to reoccur after about another 300 or 400 rounds using same mags and ammo. brand. Hope it runs right when I get it back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This weekend I ran WW USA 115JHP and the 124gr +P Gold Dot. Both functioned fine but I noticed a distinct hiccup in the slide's forward motion when it was raming the Gold Dots into and up the ramp. But they fed fine. I didn't try to limp-wrist it though. I'll probably stick the the USA JHP for now.

Adam

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use 124grn +p HST's and Golddots in my MP9c. So far no problems 250+ defensive rounds and 1500 practice rounds. I just ordered some Ranger Talons in 127grn +p and am looking forward to trying them out. I will post report when I shoot them.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: My compact back in hospital.....

TxPhantom said:
My MP 9mm Compact is back to S & W for the 2nd time for FTF (failure to feed) problems. S & W has had it about a week now. The last problem I had with FTF was at the range running WWB ammo. that I usually use at the range. Love my MP's and really miss my little compact but have faith S & W will solve the problem. From what I have heard it's very rare to have these problems with MP's. The FTF problem was solved after the 1st trip back but started to reoccur after about another 300 or 400 rounds using same mags and ammo. brand. Hope it runs right when I get it back.

Got my MP9c back today after almost a month. When I called S & W to check on the progress after about three weeks they said the whole shop had been closed down for two weeks for retooling or some kind of yearly maintenance.

It was good to have it back in my hands again but I am now having magazine catch problems. One of the repairs done to fix my FTF problems was to replace the magazine catch for some reason. Looks like they replaced the old magazine catch that worked perfectly with one that doesn't. When ejecting a magazine the release button does not pop back into place without pushing on the tab on the oposite side to make the magazine stay in. Tomorrow I will take it to the range to see if FTF problem is gone and I'll also call them about the magazine catch.

I really love my little compact but I'm getting tired of the ongoing problems. Hope I don't have to send it back for the third time. On the positive side, the trigger felt like it was considerably lighter and very crisp, very nice. My MP40 has never had any kind of problem at all.

I'll give a range report tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: My compact back in hospital.....

TxPhantom said:
[quote name='TxPhantom']My MP 9mm Compact is back to S & W for the 2nd time for FTF (failure to feed) problems. S & W has had it about a week now. The last problem I had with FTF was at the range running WWB ammo. that I usually use at the range. Love my MP's and really miss my little compact but have faith S & W will solve the problem. From what I have heard it's very rare to have these problems with MP's. The FTF problem was solved after the 1st trip back but started to reoccur after about another 300 or 400 rounds using same mags and ammo. brand. Hope it runs right when I get it back.

Got my MP9c back today after almost a month. When I called S & W to check on the progress after about three weeks they said the whole shop had been closed down for two weeks for retooling or some kind of yearly maintenance.

It was good to have it back in my hands again but I am now having magazine catch problems. One of the repairs done to fix my FTF problems was to replace the magazine catch for some reason. Looks like they replaced the old magazine catch that worked perfectly with one that doesn't. When ejecting a magazine the release button does not pop back into place without pushing on the tab on the oposite side to make the magazine stay in. Tomorrow I will take it to the range to see if FTF problem is gone and I'll also call them about the magazine catch.

I really love my little compact but I'm getting tired of the ongoing problems. Hope I don't have to send it back for the third time. On the positive side, the trigger felt like it was considerably lighter and very crisp, very nice. My MP40 has never had any kind of problem at all.

I'll give a range report tomorrow.[/quote]

Went to the range today. I'm very disappointed! Failure to feed on about every third or fourth round just as it did before I sent it back to S & W. Now it drops the magazine if I forget to push in to the tab on the oposite side of the magazine release. Do they test their work? I went without my compact for nearly a month and got it back in worse shape than when I sent it. They will be hearing from Monday. Either they fix it or I want a new pistol!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm wondering if this is due to the steep feed ramp....I have had rounds jam and get stuck on the feed ramp when cycling ammo but never during shooting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a M&P 9mm Compact and shot it for the first time this week. I'm luvin it! First 12 rounds were in a 2 inch diameter circle at 7 yards. At 15 yds. the next 12 rnds spread to a 3 inch circle. Less recoil than I thought. Nice and easy to control and clear sight picture. No misfeeds after 50 rounds. Easy to disassemble and clean, too. Nowhere in the Safety & Instruction Manual does it state that +P ammunition can not be used in the M&P Compact. I would contact S&W, if you have not already done so, and get their input as to "use or no use of +P ammo". Customer service Number is 1-800-331-0852. Get your answer straight from the horses mouth

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
MP 9mm compacts are usually reliable.......

STi said:
I'm wondering if this is due to the steep feed ramp....I have had rounds jam and get stuck on the feed ramp when cycling ammo but never during shooting.

Thank's STi. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I know the kind of problems I'm having are not common. The MP 9c is a very good pistol and in most cases very reliable. S & W has apparently tried several ways to fix the FTF problem. I can't see how they missed the problem the last time unless they just ran a few rounds through it and considered the "problem solved". When I cleaned it before taking it to the range yesterday, it wasn't very dirty as if not many rounds went through it. If they had inserted a magazine after releasing a magazine, they would have noticed that the magazine didn't catch since it would have fallen to the floor. :roll:

Maybe some of you gunsmithies can help identify the problem.

These are the repairs done on 1st return;

Barrel Modification

Replace sear housing blk asy

Replace slide stop

Inspected/tested & passed

These are the repairs done on the 2nd return;

Replace R/S plunger spr.

Replace magazine catch

Replace sight bridge

I know they are trying and they have been very nice about making repairs. I bought it for a CCW but can't use it for that until I know it is reliable. Now I just want it fixed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also just acquired a M&P 9c and took it to the range. Accuracy was excellent with both hard ball and JHPs. Had no reliability issues with Speer Gold Dots, but only shot a box of it. When cycling the slide manually, I could feel the Gold Dots hang up a little, but the cartridge still rode all the way up the ramp and chambered. When firing the Gold Dots, I didn't notice any hesitation in feeding. So far I'm as pleased with my M&P 9c as I was with my M&P 45. Now they're my two favorite semi's.

·
Registered
501 Posts
jediihaf said:
My Manual for my 40c says in big bold letters, No +P Ammo of any kind. Are the 9mm the same way?

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the

pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures

may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety

built into some revolvers and could therefore be DANGEROUS.

This ammunition should not be used in Smith & Wesson

medium (K frame) revolvers manufactured prior to 1958. Such

pre-1958 medium (K-frame) revolvers can be identified by the

absence of a model number stamped inside the yoke cut of the

frame. (i.e., the area of the frame exposed when the cylinder is

in the open position."

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Jeez, not the +P crap again.

SAAMI has a spec for each cartridge (unless it is a wildcat). That spec has a maximum pressure. Some cartridges have a +P spec. For this spec, the max pressure is greater. +P+ has no spec, and can be any pressure, so firearms manufactures won't guarantee anything about how your gun will tolerate such loads, because it could be anything. Some cartridges, like .40 S&W have no +P version, so anything designated as +P is made up and once again could have any max pressure, so nobody is going to gurantee against what thos rounds might do to the gun.

SOme guns of course don't like even +p pressure levels when they are a real spec, and those wanr you in the owner's manual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts