MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...the slide would not stay back/in a locked position when the last shot was fired from both the 7 and 8 rd mags. Weird. Never had it happen before. I've got probably 1500+ round through it little to no issues (one stove pipe when a buddy limped wristed it...that's it).

When my bro-in-law and buddy were done...I stay a few extra minutes just to see if it was a fluke. I loaded 4 mags...first three were all the same...the slide would not stay locked back when the last round was ejected from the gun (thus racking and me me pulling the trigger and it going "click" with no "bang"). I asked the range marshal if he'd seen anything like it from the Shield or any other gun and he said no. Said to have the gunsmith on site look at it. I said good idea.

So I slapped the last mag in my Shield, shot through every round, and by freaking gooly...wouldn't you know it...it locked in the open position letting me know it was officially empty.

Anyone have any experience with what this might be?

Other than that, it was a great day at the range...the FS 9 and 686-6 rocked the house and the Shield even shot great...it ate everything I gave it (Remington, Federal, and American Eagle).

Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a new guy here and I am sure there are other members that will weigh in on this. I have a shield and this has happened to me once or twice and I have read some threads on this....in my case I have not had this happen more than twice since I have had my shield. However I recently came across a review where the shooter showed how gripping the shield with your thumb riding the slide would cause this to occur. In the video he was able to make it happen whenever he wanted. His advise was to keep your thumbs clear of the slide. I have not tried this yet but I am going to experiment with my shield to see what happens. I wish I could find the video to post.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Likely you were just nudging the release enough to cause it to drop slightly there by not catch the slide on the empty mag. I have 2 shields both 40 cal have put several hundred rounds through both with both mags (6&7 in my case)and never have had this issue.
Most likely it is not a gun problem.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great insight! Thanks, fellas. My guess based on your insight and other research...I think it was user error. So I will have the fortunate time of going back to the range...popping off another 100+ rounds to see if I'm at fault. Love this sport!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Likely you were just nudging the release enough to cause it to drop slightly there by not catch the slide on the empty mag. I have 2 shields both 40 cal have put several hundred rounds through both with both mags (6&7 in my case)and never have had this issue.
Most likely it is not a gun problem.
I took my new Shield 9mm to the range for the first time yesterday and experienced exactly the same problem -- no slide lock-back after firing the last round. A buddy shot the gun without problem. So, yes, I had my thumb too close to the slide lock / release. Modifying my grip solved the slide lock-back problem. Oddly, I use the same grip on my FS9 with no problem. The slide lock / release appears to be located in relatively the same location on both guns. Of course, I have the large palm swell back-strap on my FS, so the "same" grip on the Shield is going to have my thumbs in a slightly different position. I'll need to adapt my grip for use with the Shield. Other that that, it ran flawlessly, with an assortment of 115gr target ammo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Of course, I have the large palm swell back-strap on my FS, so the "same" grip on the Shield is going to have my thumbs in a slightly different position. I'll need to adapt my grip for use with the Shield.
I've made the decision to act in the exact opposite. I will be carrying my Shield as CCW and primarily using my FS for home defense and IDPA/USPSA matches, so the grip on the Shield will be what I will standardize on. In a panic (typical CCW & home defense situation) scenario where I feel I need to draw my weapon, thinking about what grip to use is not what I want to be doing. On the other hand, I have time to prepare before shooting in a match scenario and that time will be spent preparing to use my one and only grip that I've developed for CCW. To do so, I am using the small grip even though I have relatively large hands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts