MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just show you how important it is to double check what your doing.

http://explodedstuff.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0/

Expensive once was Colt Anaconda, is now heap of scrap.

I'm amazed how shooter came out without so much as scratch(other then bruised ego)

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Those have been around for a while, even longer than that post.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jester said:
Those have been around for a while, even longer than that post.

well, none the less, It serves as grim reminder to check and recheck each step while reloading, yes?

·
Registered
660 Posts
My CCW instructor was showing me a "proofing round" he bought at a yard sale...apparently they're loaded to three times normal charge. I don't know anything else about them but he said they occasionally show up every once in a while.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My Glock 22 blew up on me at an IDPA match last year. I and the SO got a few minor lacerations from brass! I was able to replace the bar., mag rel., extractor, and FP. Not a pleasant experience at all, especially when it was my reload. I have since gotten the Powder Check system...

...and a new M&P!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
coltman1985 said:
My Glock 22 blew up on me at an IDPA match last year. I and the SO got a few minor lacerations from brass! I was able to replace the bar., mag rel., extractor, and FP. Not a pleasant experience at all, especially when it was my reload. I have since gotten the Powder Check system...

...and a new M&P!!
If it blew up on a reload does the company still honor the warranty??? Or is tit a need to know basis??? yuo dont need to tell them because you dont know???

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm assuming that they thought something was up...Glocks usually don't blow up, but they are far from invincible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bravo said:
I'm assuming that they thought something was up...Glocks usually don't blow up, but they are far from invincible.

Where have you been? If you check a few websights, I'm sure that you will find that the only things Glocks do well is AD and KB!
- Josh M.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
retinking my decision to get into reloading

This post has made me rethink my decision to get into reloading! I bought my M&P9 about 10 days ago and have spend about 150 dollars on amo. I was thinking that if I got a simple reloading mechanism, like the Lee hand press, I could reuse my own brass and shoot more. I think that 150 bucks is cheap compared to having to purchase a new gun and bury my baby!

I do have one reload experience. My father has a S&W 66 in .357. A neighbor had a friend who passed away and his widow was selling off his gun stuff. I could only afford a few boxes of reloaded .357 and .38. WEnt to the range, shot several but was having problems with weak hammer strikes due to the spring being too loose. One round didn't make quite the bang that I thought is should but being in high fire mode I went ahead and pulled the trigger again but nothing happened. The first round had no charge, just a primer so the bullet was lodged about 3 inches into the barrel. The loose trigger spring saved my ass! I stopped to check that the barrel was indeed blocked then went to change my shorts!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Josh M. said:
[quote name='Bravo']I'm assuming that they thought something was up...Glocks usually don't blow up, but they are far from invincible.

Where have you been? If you check a few websights, I'm sure that you will find that the only things Glocks do well is AD and KB!
- Josh M.[/quote]

Lest we forget....Had it not been for Glock, we'd still be thowing jammed 5906's at bad guys. :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
hello all, I also had sqiub load from my own reloads. used RCBS piggy back machine. Loading 200gr lead swc w/i recall 4grs of bulleye powder. shooting at a practice ipcs match in grove city,oh. Back in 1994. had been reloading for 5yrs.Before this event happend. Let powder despencer get below half way mark. :oops: It started to throw light charges did not pick up on this till I pulled the trigger.
lucky I was shooting a SA 1911A1 the one made in the U.S.A. . Not their brazil made models. every body on the range heard the pop but me pulled trigger on the second round , gun jumped fun in my hands
,slide quarter out of battery,mag droped half way out of mag well, next round was burned and the bullet was pushed back into the case. We had to use a cleaning rod and mallet to open the slide and recover the case stuck in the camber. The case blew out at the head . the barrel had only a little ring on it. Funny thing the gun functioned better after this no more FTF,FTE. still reload it is really fun hobby to get in to you will always find somthing new to learn. About yourself and your gear. This gun I still own shot many matchs with it over the years and I still reload for all my guns I own. Will reload for my three [email protected] as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The reality is that reloading adds another level of risk to your firearm use. You can screw up and hurt yourself in new and interesting ways. That said, if you are careful and pay attention to what you are doing, reloading is fun and certainly rewarding but you can't watch TV or amuse the baby while you are doing it. Also keep in mind that while scary, ugly, and undesireable MOST handgun blow-ups don't hurt people all that much. They can, but mostly they don't. I've seen a couple of blown guns and the hands of the owners, and all the right number of bits where still able to wiggle.

Now rifle explotions .. Now you have your face inches from a handgrenade. Lucky thing is that most rifle powders fill rifle cases better then pistol powder fill pistol cases and a double charge is not very likely. Fill a rifle case with the wrong powder .. like pistol powder.. and we'll all hear about the results from the shockwave.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
robpiat said:
Lest we forget....Had it not been for Glock, we'd still be thowing jammed 5906's at bad guys. :wink:

I happened to like 5960....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: retinking my decision to get into reloading

Whoknew72 said:
This post has made me rethink my decision to get into reloading! I bought my M&P9 about 10 days ago and have spend about 150 dollars on amo. I was thinking that if I got a simple reloading mechanism, like the Lee hand press, I could reuse my own brass and shoot more. I think that 150 bucks is cheap compared to having to purchase a new gun and bury my baby!

I do have one reload experience. My father has a S&W 66 in .357. A neighbor had a friend who passed away and his widow was selling off his gun stuff. I could only afford a few boxes of reloaded .357 and .38. WEnt to the range, shot several but was having problems with weak hammer strikes due to the spring being too loose. One round didn't make quite the bang that I thought is should but being in high fire mode I went ahead and pulled the trigger again but nothing happened. The first round had no charge, just a primer so the bullet was lodged about 3 inches into the barrel. The loose trigger spring saved my butt! I stopped to check that the barrel was indeed blocked then went to change my shorts!

A Lee hand press is one of the safest ways to reload. You have to through the powder charges by hand so you have ample oportunities to visually check your work. You can do some of this while watching TV. I deprime and resize, expand case mouths, reprime with an Auto Prime. But when you start putting powder in cases you have to be very careful.

As to your story, I never shoot reloads of questionable backround. If someone gives me some reloaded rounds I pull them apart, use the powder for fertilizer and reload the cases. Unless you've reloaded with the person you have no way of knowing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts