MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stippled/sharked/textured/whatever to my M&P, but I did something a little different...........

My initials!!

I hope I get up the nerve to do the frame! 8)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wow that really looks great, congrats. Love the personal touch. The texture reminds me of the texturing guys get on precision sticks, like McMillan stocks.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Nice work MP40!! Different is also good in my eyes. Nothing wrong with putting your own touch into the mix. I took Dan the Mans idea and went my own way with it as well. Feels good doing it yourself, and for the simple fact its your own design!!! Nicely done buddy! 8)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you

Thank you for the kind words. I can't believe the difference in handling this little mod makes. With enough of you saying things like this, I may get the nerve to do it to the front strap. I don't believe I will make it as aggressive there and I will definitely will leave the initials out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gsteve said:
Looks great.... how did you do it? sj

I believe Dan posted a "how to" for sharking.

I did mine a little different from others I have seen. My "technique" involves sqwiggles, pokes, and lifts with a soldering iron. I used a variable heat soldering iron at an arbitrary temperature setting of 55 (out of 100). At this temperature I had to apply a slight amount of pressure in order to "move" any material. The used a flat tapered tip with edges rounded in order to make uneven marks. The initials were marked out with pen (you can still see some on the grip in the 4th picture) prior to using the iron.

Total time was approximatly 20 minutes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you want to try something new let me know. I use my medium backstrap which means I have 2 I don't use. I'd ship it out to you if you wanted and you could do something like this with it. Heck I could send both out and do one like this and one new design. I'm not using them and I'm curious to know what kind of improvement this makes on my grip.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
tstrenuous10 said:
If you want to try something new let me know. I use my medium backstrap which means I have 2 I don't use. I'd ship it out to you if you wanted and you could do something like this with it. Heck I could send both out and do one like this and one new design. I'm not using them and I'm curious to know what kind of improvement this makes on my grip.

If MP40 doesnt want them I will take them. Not intruding though.....lol But if you dont have a taker, I am your guy.....You should give it a try itys not all that bad....seriously, a little time and a good eye is all you need.

Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Treebarking!?!?!?!?!

The guys at the range are calling it treebarking.

I have never shot my M&P with modified backstraps before today. I am sure any similar treatment would have yielded the same results. I actually shot tighter groups. I attribute it to the fact that I have held tight to the grip in order to maintain a high grip position right up against the beaver tail. This would cause my front sight to bounce around a little. With the grip "treebacked" I could maintain the high grip with much less pressure. What do you know, no front sight wobble.

The feel is a bit strange at first and a bit aggressive. Suprisingly after 150 or so rounds, It wasn't that bad. I typically shot with my medium backstrap, I "treebarked" my small and it is much more comfortable than the meduim was!?!?!?!

Have any of you seen this type of response to other backstrap treatments?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts