MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm a new M&P 9mm owner here. I switched over from the SA XD-9. The XD-9 is a great reliable gun but it just never felt right in my hand and the M&P seemed to fit in my palm great.

Well, first thing I noticed is the slide sits very loosely on the frame of the gun. I'm not referring to the "gap" as some people have mentioned but the fact the the slide feels very "sloppy" on the means of the frame. If I grab the slide on my XD-9 or Glock 19 there is almost no float or play in it like with the M&P. There is also a lot of slop in the fit of the magazine in the magwell.

Also after just 50 rounds...my mag has started dropping. I realize there is another thread for this but I thought it was worth mentioning here.

Additionally, the front end of the frame seems to droop downward...I thought it was just an optical illusion but upon attaching a light I realized that no, it really was angled downward...is this intended or a frame defect?

And finally, my M&P has rust on it...I can't believe it. My gun is new, I have not concealed carried it. I purchased a leather holster for it, placed it in the holster for 2 days and when I pulled it out again there was light rust on the slide...I couldn't believe it. It's humid here, but not THAT humid...none of my other guns have ever had the same thing happen.

It's going back to S&W but honestly, I'm not sure what they could do to renew my faith at this point...

Did I get a lemon or is this stuff common?

My serial number is MPNxxx I believe...don't have the gun in front of me but I know it is a revision "N" frame.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like you got a lemon...or BS. Don't get me wrong, the M&P Series has had a few teething problems here early on, but I have NEVER heard of anyone claiming ALL of the more common issues on the same pistol. I'd love to see pics of the rust that developed on stainless steel slide of a pistol that wasn't carried or holstered??? May even be willing to take it off your hands

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wahoo95 said:
Sounds like you got a lemon...or BS. Don't get me wrong, the M&P Series has had a few teething problems here early on, but I have NEVER heard of anyone claiming ALL of the more common issues on the same pistol. I'd love to see pics of the rust that developed on stainless steel slide of a pistol that wasn't carried or holstered??? May even be willing to take it off your hands

Understand I'm not saying there is a layer of rust on the slide...just a few light spots. Hard to even see...however I think that's pretty unacceptable for a brand new gun.

Who knows, it was a new holster and could be due to some sort of stain or treatment used on the leather reacting with the metal. It was on the high points that contact the leather most. It could just be from moisture being retained in the new leather.

I could live with the rust (could always duracoat it)...it just seems my frame has issues.

I'm NOT trying to bash the M&P- it's the best gun I've ever handled- in the short time shooting it, I have better accuracy than with my XD or Glock.

All that being said...mine seems to have issues and they seem to point to a poorly created frame...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not sure if I agree on it being a frame issue...would love to see pics to see ow bad the frame droop is? My MP45 has quite a bit of frame droop, which can be seen in the picture, and it has no affect on accuracy, reliabilty, or light function....100 rds Blazer @ 15yds fresh out the box.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wahoo95 said:
Not sure if I agree on it being a frame issue...would love to see pics to see ow bad the frame droop is? My MP45 has quite a bit of frame droop, which can be seen in the picture, and it has no affect on accuracy, reliabilty, or light function....100 rds Blazer @ 15yds fresh out the box.

Ya, if you note above I actually mentioned that my M&P is the most accurate gun I own. I was just wondering if the frame droop was normal. I was thinking that it might be related to why my mag etc. did not seem to fit well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nah, it's due to the way the polymer reacts to the cooling process when the frames are formed. The dustcover Word is they're working on a solution, however I wouldn't hold my breath because it doesn't affect reliability or the fit of the mags. The dust cover droop has no relation to how the mags fit the M&P......

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
M&Pdoggy said:
Well, first thing I noticed is the slide sits very loosely on the frame of the gun. I'm not referring to the "gap" as some people have mentioned but the fact the the slide feels very "sloppy" on the means of the frame.

The slop is designed in, unless it is REALLY severe. Accuracy is about slide to barrel lockup and your sights. Slide to frame fit is not that relevant unless you bring a frame mounted optic into the equation. The M&P has a bit more slop designed in than glock, H&K USP, or XD, but not much. You shake it, it'll rattle, even when loaded. But that is somethign the aforementioned guns have in common.

Also after just 50 rounds...my mag has started dropping. I realize there is another thread for this but I thought it was worth mentioning here.

Is it a fullsize or a compact? The mag release on the M&P is easy to reach, which is good and bad. Technique can make it bad, and with the compact, tolerance for sloppy technique is going to be less because it's all about recoil. That being said, the mag catch has been revised several times to try and mitigate the issue. Some of it is design/shooter, which boils down to ergonomics, and some is getting the part built right. Send it in to S&W to ensure you are getting the best part to date if youa re having the problem.

If you want to verify if it is you or the gun, have someone else try it.

Additionally, the front end of the frame seems to droop downward...I thought it was just an optical illusion but upon attaching a light I realized that no, it really was angled downward...is this intended or a frame defect?

It's a manufacturing artifact. I have yet to see a fullsize M&P where it caused any tac-light to not be illuminating the POA or POI. But they are all all fullsize guns and all 40 to the best of my knowledge.

And finally, my M&P has rust on it...I can't believe it. My gun is new, I have not concealed carried it. I purchased a leather holster for it, placed it in the holster for 2 days and when I pulled it out again there was light rust on the slide...I couldn't believe it. It's humid here, but not THAT humid...none of my other guns have ever had the same thing happen.

It's going back to S&W but honestly, I'm not sure what they could do to renew my faith at this point...

Did I get a lemon or is this stuff common?

As for the rust, it depends on which kind you have got. I have had some minor pinhead rust that was clearly from minor dust during the finishing process. Rusted once, hit it up with clp, and hasn't done so again.

Then there is the more severe rust where it looks like large areas of the finish are not right. This is something i would consider defective, and a result of poor practices durign the coating procedure.

Either way, your choice in holster could have made it worse. Unless the leather is vegetable tanned, it is acidic and can promote rust. Beware cheap leather on a holster. Additionally, it'll hold moisture, which means it isn't the greatest place to store your gun from a corrosion standpoint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks much for the detailed explanations!

I will have some others try it and verify there is in fact an issue with my mag. I was shooting offhand as well and it happened so I'm pretty sure it's not just me.

Like I mentioned before, the rust is very slight. I will try cleaning it and keeping it out of the holster and then back in to see if that was the problem. Still seems strange it would rust though.

If the rust returns and I do end up sending it back for service, I will mention it.

I just wanted to make sure I did not get a gun with a problem...aside from the mag dropping it is reassuring that the frame issues seem to be common and don't affect anything.

·
Registered
64 Posts
M&Pdoggy said:
I will have some others try it and verify there is in fact an issue with my mag. I was shooting offhand as well and it happened so I'm pretty sure it's not just me.

Or, you could switch the mag release to the other side and shoot the gun yourself which might tell you more as to whether you'e hitting the mag release. Plus, you get to do more shooting

rjs

·
Registered
414 Posts
Some say that "shooter technique" is to blame when people's thumb's accidentally set off the mag drop while shooting... and I call BS on that.

Even with less than perfect "shooter technique", today's top defense guns that enjoy wide-spread popularity and top reliability (Glock, SIG, HK, etc.) are not subject to dropping their mags when a shooter's thumb happens to shift downward. During the stress of an adrenalin-filled, active movement, defensive encounter it's not only possible, but it's LIKELY that your hold may be something less than "proper technique" and that should NOT bring a well-designed defense pistol to it's knees. The mag catch on the M&P should be designed to prevent accidental mag drops just because a shooter's thumb shifts lower during hold. Fact is, the current design of the M&P mag catch is such that the mag can be accidentally dropped quite easily... too danged easily, IMHO.

No matter how I hold my many various semi-auto pistols, a low thumb position has never actuated a mag drop during shooting. If the M&P is especially prone to dropping mags whenever a shooter's thumb happens to shift downward while shooting, then I call that a design defect of the gun, not a shooter's problem.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Grip cannot be ignored as it may cause a mag to drop, slide to lock back, or decock...depending on the pistol. The M&P mag release is lighter than on some other pistols, but it has thankfully not been a problem for me at all. FWIW, I use a high thumbs forward hold and my mag release is on the shooting hand side. To keep everyone happy, it is probably one of those things that S&W needs to tweak.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Chooch, you're right. Grip cannot be ignored for sure. The design should take into account the possible factors and variations in grip that can bring a defense piece to it's knees... variation that can occur under duress of battle.... An overly sensitive mag catch is a poor design, even if it doesn't create a problem for every user.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts