1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Legislator: Man threw knife at him

12:27 PM CDT on Monday, July 9, 2007

By Carolyn Campbell / 11 News

The home is still under construction. A state representative shot a suspect while defending his southeast Houston home Sunday evening.

According to police, the suspect's injuries weren't serious, and Rep. Borris Miles was not hurt.

Investigators said Rep. Miles was repairing a leak at his home on South MacGregor when he heard noise outside. He said the water leak was caused by copper thieves in the first place.

When he went to check it out, he confronted two men who police believe were trying to steal copper wiring. Copper is going anywhere from $3 to $5 a pound.

Rep. Miles said one of the suspects came at him with a weapon.

Also online

Legislator shoots suspect

"One of the suspects threw a knife at him," HPD spokeswoman Joanna Abad said. "Mr. Miles pulled out his weapon and shot at him once."

The injured suspect was taken to the hospital, but the second one got away on foot.

Police said Rep. Miles is licensed to carry a concealed weapon.

"You got time and money involved, and then you get violated," Rep. Miles said. He would not comment on the incident, saying his attorney advised him not to.

His spokesman read a statement about the growing copper theft problem.

"The theft of copper and other metals by aggressive thieves in our community is an epidemic here in Houston," Donald Fields read. "Thieves have targeted not only private residences, but commercial properties, public facilities and even houses of worship."

Rep. Miles said when he gets back to Austin he will do something about it.

The wounded suspect was charged with aggravated burglary.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am a radio communications and network technician, responsible for all Florida Highway Patrol radios and communications tower sites in Southwest Florida. Copper theft is epidemic here, as it is all over. They come in and take the grounding copper right off of the tower and radio shelters, leaving the equipment ungrounded and dangerous. The thieves strike usually at night, and have been armed. Since I am on call by pager 24/7, it is not unusual for me to have to go to a remote site at 2:30 am, to fix a problem called in by FHP dispatch, or by Network Operations. My M&P 9 is now always at my side when I approach these places alone in the middle of nowhere, in the pitch black. In fact, the rise of copper theft and the growing possibility that I may meet an armed attacker at one of these sites is one of the main reasons I purchased the M&P.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I thought Hawaiians were the only ones stupid enough to steal copper wire. Copper theft is a pretty big problem here in Hawaii and thats why a lot of our freeways are dark. A few smart ones manage to kill themselves and some fall off the light poles. Also, when they manage to steal all the copper they can get their homeless hands on, they resort to ripping the gaurdrails right off the side of the road. I amazes me how desperate people are.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm right in the middle of building my own house. It's almost dried in, and the plumber will be there to do his rough work in a couple of weeks, then the electrician behind him. I hope I don't have to put a sleeping bag out there just to watch the house at night after all the wiring is in. I'm in the Building business, and there always has to be "some specific material" every year that goes through the roof. Last year it was concrete...the year before, drywall. On the other hand, framing material is the cheapest it has been in a long time.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Arizona Smithshooter said:
What is really makes this story interesting is that Rep. Miles voted against the Castle Doctrine bill in Texas. Wonder if now he will change his mind??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288737,00.html
If he were to be prosecuted for shooting the thief, that would be the ultimate irony after voting against the Castle Doctrine.

No, I don't believe he should be prosecuted, I'm just saying........................

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arizona Smithshooter said:
What is really makes this story interesting is that Rep. Miles voted against the Castle Doctrine bill in Texas. Wonder if now he will change his mind??

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288737,00.html

Thanks for the add-on, Arizona. That fact came out after the initial report, and BOY is it a topic of discussion among the CHL holders here in Houston!

It will be interesting to hear "the rest of the story", as it unfolds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts