MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.0 shield 9mm is 1 month old and based on the wear it's not looking good for longevity. Is this normal wear??

Clickable thumbs

Also, here's how the rest of it is wearing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The rails on the frame barrel look normal. Anywhere there is metal on metal contact expect wear. So nothing looks abnormal. However my guide rod does not look like yours even after 500 rounds. How many rounds do you have through that gun?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
"1 month" doesn't really say much. "How many rounds"and ammo specs are a better indicator. The guide rod looks questionable but the rest looks pretty normal.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Actually the gun looks fine based on the hood of the barrel, like less then 300 rounds.
The guide rod not so much.
Call S&W and tell them it broke and is no longer captive, the spring came off.
They will send you a new one within a week.
It costs them $1 to make that GR so why wait for a failure?
You paid good money for their product, you shouldn't have any doubts about its function.
The whole ounce of prevention thing.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Check the flat spot on the take-down lever where the end of the guide-rod assembly rests. Your picture shows a round spot with some wear on it, is it raised up and digging into the end plate of the guide-rod assembly? My M1.0 is completely smooth.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Got about 400 rounds.
Alright so I was off by 100 rounds based on some pictures.
My advice is still the same, call S&W and have them send you a new GR.
The thing that will get them to do this w/o question is to say yours broke.
They aren't going to ask for you to send it back to them.
When you get the new one shoot it and see if it has the same wear.
If it doesn't great, if it does then you might have to send the gun in.
Personally I like the first option first, mass production can make for meh parts.
They make that stuff cheap so it's not like you are ripping them off.
It's part of your warranty to have them send you parts that they spend pocket change on.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I’ve found the culprit, but not sure what to do. I dunno if smith will send another one of these or not without wanting to do the work themselves. You can see exactly where it is wearing.
Yep, that was the spot I was referring to in my post. Contact CS and see what they want to do, if they want the gun, then it's your call as to whether you want to wait a month or so for them to get it fixed and back to you. I think I would take a flat file to it if it's raised up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I’m not sending it to them until it breaks in half. Lol. It’s brand new I’m using it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
While I had that one 100% wrong if I'm not mistaken that's a MIM mold mark.
It might break in half quicker then you think.
They will likely want the gun, that's the whole "mass production can make for meh parts" thing.

While I completely understand not wanting to send it in, the turnaround times in a couple of weeks are usually pretty good.
You could have back in less then two weeks after they catch up from the holidays.
If it breaks during their annual shutdown substitute weeks for months.
If it breaks right before hunting season, you're screwed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts