MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
For what it's worth, I have well over 4000 cycles on a dry spring with no indication of problems.

Given that I have a 9MM and .40 there is a spare in my kit.

:twisted:

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I've never lubricated my recoil spring or guide. Two rules to follow for lubricating a gun:

1. Follow the instruction manual.

2. If it gets shiny, put a drop a lube on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
correct me if i am wrong. i do not see nothing wrong with putting oil on the guide rod or spring. i put a couple of drops on mine and wiped off the excess...

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Sometimes the information contained in instruction manuals is there for a reason. Although the manual doesn't point it out, the trigger spring has a small piece of foam inserted in its coils. That foam is, I believe, intended to damp out resonance and by doing so reduce fatigue stress and resultant breakage. It is quite possible that lubricating the guide rod and spring will increase resonance and ultimately breakage.

It's something to think about.

:twisted:

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
jay15892 said:
correct me if i am wrong. i do not see nothing wrong with putting oil on the guide rod or spring. i put a couple of drops on mine and wiped off the excess...

I'm neither an engineer nor an expert on the M&P. But the engineers and experts at Smith didn't put anything in the manual about lubricating the spring or guide rod.

My guess is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. But I'm more confident in saying it's not necessary. My plan, for my M&P-9, is simply to change the unit every 10k rounds.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
It is subject to a lot of powder residue! Grease or oil will make it gunk up and change the attributes of the spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts