MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I know this may sound silly as it is coming from a Noob. But when I take my M&P apart for cleaning I noticed that the spring and guide rod were connected.
This is strange to me as my only other handguns are a ruger p90 and a walther p22 both of which have removable springs. Is there a way to get the two apart? Do they ever need to be apart? What should I be doing to this area when I clean my gun? I usually like to clean any residue off both spring and guide rod then hit them with a very light amount of gun oil. Is that good or bad? Any help regarding this question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Deez

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
This is normal for the M&P as Smith uses a captive spring. It can come apart but I would not recommend it nor is it necessary. Typically for cleaning I either leave it alone or if there is any build-up I run a nylon brush, or toothbrush, over it and then very lightly oil. That's it. If your not looking to change spring weight I typically prefer a captive spring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jtaliani, your the man. Thanks for the help. Now that I know more about it, I like it a lot more. I actually bent the spring in my walther p22 because of the way it goes back together
But not having to mess with it is great. Another plus for the M&P!!! 8)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yup, the m&p uses whats called a captive system. The spring is fixed to the guide rod. I prefer non captive systems as they are easier to clean. I guess when the spring wears on the m&p, you just get a whole new assembly.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I use a non captive from Speed Shooters, with an IMSI spring. Makes firing my loads nice, you can really tune the pistol with the recoil spring.

Speed shooters is now making a semi-captive for those that want to be able to change springs but not have the pain of the uncoiled spring upon reassy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts