MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got me another Full Size M&P9 from S&W and the end of the Guide Rod is Hexagonal instead of Round

Is this something new???

Does this mean that you can take apart the New Guide Rods?? Or is this just for looks??

Does anybody have a Scientific answer to this??

Thanks

Y

·
Registered
471 Posts
My .40c also has the hex end.

Ron

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
My shooting buddy had a newer M&P 9 also. MPM serial prefix. Today I was showing him the hex on my compact guide rod. He said, "Mine is like that also." Sure enough; his fullsize has a hex on it also. My "guess" is that it is to make it easier to take apart the guide rod assembly. Although I haven't tried it, I have read that the guide rod does come apart.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YukonGlocker said:
My "guess" is that it is to make it easier to take apart the guide rod assembly. Although I haven't tried it, I have read that the guide rod does come apart.

Now, who's going to be the brave soul to try to take one of these babies apart first??

Raise your hand??

Anybody????

Hello.......

OK, I might have to be the first one!!

Y

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have no clue about the hex head rod, but the round head rod is a one piece. The end is crimped on and cannot be removed. The assembly is replaced as a unit. If you look closely at the manual, there is no mention whatsoever about the assebly, excpet how to remove & re-install it during field stripping.

·
Registered
422 Posts
wr moore said:
I have no clue about the hex head rod, but the round head rod is a one piece. The end is crimped on and cannot be removed. The assembly is replaced as a unit. If you look closely at the manual, there is no mention whatsoever about the assebly, excpet how to remove & re-install it during field stripping.

Thanks, i was just wondering about this a couple hours ago.

The XDs have been known to have broken guide rods as they use a captive dual spring system. Which is welded, and can come lose occasionaly. Not an epedemic, but a known issue for the XDs...remedied by swapping to a standard steel rod and spring.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ncshooter said:
The hex head screw will remove. I have taken mine apart and replaced the spring.

How tight is it??

Was it Loc-Tite'd??

Did you have to hold the Rod on a Vise??

Y

1 - 9 of 9 Posts