MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The black end cap on the guide rod holding the spring on came off and I can't find it anywhere. The rod and spring assembly are stock and brand new. Is it safe to put it together as is and shoot it? Would it be better to get a new captive guide rod or a non-captive guide rod? It seems a lot easier to use a captive one. Should I replace the spring at the same time? If I can't shoot it as it is then I've got to get a replacement fast.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would call S&W on Monday like you said its new, Im sure that you can get a replacement.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
New rod/spring assemblies were available at Brownells for $7.42. That's where my spare came from. They may be readily available from the M&P store also. S&W may want the gun back or might just send it to you. Depends on their mood.

Good luck

:twisted:

·
Registered
937 Posts
I knew that thing could come off, I've just never tried to remove mine. For reference, does it screw on, or is it welded, or something?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update #1

I called Smith & Wesson this morning and they were willing to send me a new part for free, but since I needed it by Wednesday I had to pay for the expedited shipping.

I was told to not fire it as it is now, non-captive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update #2

S&W customer service was very good. I received the new guide rod spring assembly today. This one has the hex head as others have noted this change. The original was round.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If the muzzle end of the guide rod is round, it doesn't come apart-or at least it's not supposed to. The end cap is crimped into place.

If the muzzle end of the guide rod has a hex, it's removable for replacement of the spring-or so I've been told.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts