MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own an M&P 9C and a G26 that are mostly range shot. This is a how actions work kind of question noting and hoping someone can answer or make discussion. Regarding the SIG type hammer fired with decocker, when the decocker is actuated does it slowly lower the hammer down or does it simply release it against a block? Also, same question for the striker fired AS type action of the Walther P99’s? I think I might know how the QA action works.

Thanks,

PP

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
When you depress the decocking lever on a SIG, depending on the model and vintage, it will either allow you to lower the hammer slowly or simply drop it in one swift motion. In either case, the hammer only drops to the safety notch position, so at no point does the hammer touch the firing pin. In addition, just like a M&P, the SIG has an internal firing pin safety which would prevent the firing pin from moving forward even if it was struck, unless you've got the trigger pulled back while decocking ... which would be dumb.

·
Registered
264 Posts
On my HK's the hammer falls onto a hammer block that prevents the hammer from contacting the firing pin. The hammer block is deactivated by the trigger at the same time that the firing pin block is deactivated, so unless you have a catstrophic failure on two independed blocks you should be pretty safe.

Cant remember the P99 mechanics though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guys thanks for the responses. I just really like to try and understand the mechanism of the different actions.

PP

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
The mechanism works differently on Berettas, for example.

Berettas (at least the 90-series and the Cougars; I don't have much experience with the new PX4) do not lower to a half-cock/safety-notch position. Instead, the safety (on 'F' models) or decocker (on 'G' models) rotates the firing pin plunger out of position as the hammer falls. When the hammer drops, the plunger is out of alignment and therefore the hammer can't hit it (and it can't hit the firing pin).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I apologize for digging up this old topic. Yesterday I picked up my new M&P 40 and as I look at it, it does not seem to have any de-cocker or safety. Could this be correct? It is a MPT model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts