MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just installed a nice little gun cabinet in my closet that, at least for the time, fit's my needs.

My question for you guys is this;

I want to keep a key close to the cabinet but don't want it easily accessed to those who don't belong in the cabinet (mainly everyone but me
). I was wondering what you thoughts were about mounting a lockbox to the floor right in front of the cabinet with the key in it. I attached a pic of the lockbox .... it's a fairly heavy duty box but would it be defeating the point?? On the other hand if someone actually took the time & effort to break into the lock box then they would probably just have broke into the cabinet right.?.? I've been keeping the cabinet unlocked & open while I'm home just in case I need to get in there :wink: but don't want to have to carry the key with me when I go out if I don't have to.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
greatzippy said:
Well I just installed a nice little gun cabinet in my closet that, at least for the time, fit's my needs.
It's really hard to tell much from the picture, but unless it's super well bolted down a thief will just rip the cabinet out and take it home to open it. On the other hand if all you are worried about is kids or roomies it's probably fine but take the key with you. Kids will find anything that you hide.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
sholling said:
[quote name='greatzippy']Well I just installed a nice little gun cabinet in my closet that, at least for the time, fit's my needs.
It's really hard to tell much from the picture, but unless it's super well bolted down a thief will just rip the cabinet out and take it home to open it. On the other hand if all you are worried about is kids or roomies it's probably fine but take the key with you. Kids will find anything that you hide.[/quote]

The picture is the mini-safe he wants to put his keys into.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Who are you trying to keep away from your guns? Kids, roommates, burglars?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
choochboost said:
Who are you trying to keep away from your guns? Kids, roommates, burglars?

Burglars mainly .... nobody else in the house but my dog and he could care less. The cabinet itself isn't a true safe so I understand that it's not going to keep people out 100%. What I got is the Stack-on 8 gun ready to assemble cabinet .... I placed it in the back of the closet and it's bolted to the floor by 6 bolts and to the back wall as well. It'd take a lot to pull it out of there ... it'd probably be easier to break into it then get it out of the closet. At the moment the only way I can see someone getting into it if if they had the right tools with them .... either something to get thru the door or the right drill & bit to drill out the lock. But that takes time and most burglars want in & out fast, and with the house alarm they don't have much time.

It's a small space as well so not much room to work in there (wasn't fun trying to install it in there that's for sure .... friggen cramped), that's one of the reasons I had to get this one (the other is the fact that I think I stretched my budget a bit :oops: ) .... I even had to pull off the baseboard on one side of the closet to fit it in there. Here's a pic of the cabinet;

The pegboard didn't come with it, I cut that & placed it in the door with some hard foam behind it to hold it firmly.

The lockbox is the type someone would usually bolt to the outside of a building to put a spare key in. I'm under the impression that they provide decent security for your key ..... it may even be harder to get into then the cabinet.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I have a locking cabinet with a hidden key (not in a lockbox) within reach of the cabinet which makes everything in it still accessible. I'm not too concerned about burglars finding the key as they could destroy the cabinet just as easily to access its contents if they wanted.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Well that cabinet should slow them enough to discourage a thief. If it were me I'd still keep the key on my keychain.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It looks to me like you have a good setup. I have a cabinet as well that is bolted to the frame of the house. The only thing you can add if you want to make it even more difficult to steal is free weight in the bottom (4 small, 50lb plates for example). That way if a thief was able to pull it away from the studs they'd still have deadlift it out of there. If you have a house-alarm though I can't see anyone having enough time to do much.

I separate the keys from the cabinet and keep handy my Glock at all times. I don't have experience with a lock-box for the keys.

I personally think the #1 security rule is not to tell too many people what you have in the house in the first place. I can't think of a reason a burglar would come to your house with the necessary tools to defeat the cabinet without knowing ahead of time that you had it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts