MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was think of having a revolver refinished. I would like a dull stainless look or flat gray. What do you think it would cost to have a 4 inch revolver that is blued redone? What kind of refinishing would you recommend? Or by whom?

thanks

wendelin

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or would it be better to get a gun that is made of stainless steel?

thanks again

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bead blasting and hard chrome might be a look you would like on a carbon steel revolver. I have had hard chrome done by Tripp, but I don't think he is doing revolvers any more. Google for other refinishers. Bead blasting of a stainless gun gives a similar look. Bead blasting alone isn't too expensive. Check out S&W's site for the cost. Seems to me it is between $100 and $200.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dull gray would be hard chrome. My NP3 pistil is a dark gray, almost pewter and very slippery.

www.trippresearch.com

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When people say that the np3 does not wear like the hard chrome do they mean that it wears off like blueing. Holstering puts thin spots in the finish or the finish comes off? After a while will the np3 need to be redone? I could see an advantage to np3 being self lubing. Is their a disadvantage to that?

Is the hard chrome reflectve? shiney?

thanks for the pictures

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
win said:
When people say that the np3 does not wear like the hard chrome do they mean that it wears off like blueing. Holstering puts thin spots in the finish or the finish comes off? After a while will the np3 need to be redone? I could see an advantage to np3 being self lubing. Is their a disadvantage to that?

Is the hard chrome reflectve? shiney?

thanks for the pictures
Hard chrome can come in different ways. Most refinishing outfits will give you options. NP3 wears in such a way that wear marks will look like shiny...I don't know how else to describe it. Robar gives their NP3 finish a lifetime warranty against corrosion, peeling or flaking. Many will say that hard chrome does not wear, but it does. Every time someone says that on boards like TFL and THR, there's a member who shows his hard chromed 1911 with wear marks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hard chrome is hard. It is very tough to put a mark on.

That is a good comparison picture. Hard chrome is fairly neutral in color (not yellowish, not blueish). It is about as light as stainless. The reflectivity varies with what is done to the steel under it. Bead blasting is matte - the size and type of the blasting media determines what exactly it looks like. You can put a brushed finish under it, and it is shinier. You can even mirror polish the steel underneath, and you get very shiney hard chrome. While I don't think Tripp will do revolvers, his website will show you some comparisons.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I believe Tripp will not chrome revolvers. I read somewhere that this was his policy. Wherever you send it - PLEASE be sure to ask if they have done revolvers before. I have read about many people getting them screwed up. Apparently, they are slightly harder to do than a semi auto.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can someone tell me what finish they think this is? If I remember right the guy that sold me the gun said that it was metalloid. Is it like hard chrome? The finish on theis gun is probably been on it for years maybe 15.

thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts