MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a fireproof safe in my basement sized at lease 20 cubic feet. Most of the safes that I have seen at Cabelas, Sam's Club etc only come with curbside delivery. I have very arthritic knees and could never move something like that into my basement even with help. My limit would be about 200lbs and most of those safes weigh at least twice that. Does anyone know where to get a safe delivered inside their house? Not looking at spending more than .... say $1,300.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Go back where they sell the safes and ask around, you may have to ask several different people, a lot of times they will know people who do that sort of thing, guys will visit with them and leave their business cards.

You might also try some moving companies, or companies that move pianos, ones that are used to moving heavy objects. I did mine myself, I grew up in the appliance business and have delivered literally hundreds of refrigerators, most gun safes will come in the area of an extra heavy refrigerator, and I knew the tricks to move heavy objects, there is definitely a technique to it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Go to your best local gun shop. Not Wallymart or the sporting store that sells guns but THE gun store. They'll know who to call.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If I had the chance to go back I would have definately hired someone to move it (ie piano movers). But if you're really looking to save money and don't have to move it up or down many stairs just throw some piping underneath it and it'll roll where ever ya want.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Once I got mine inside I put a piece of the cardboard beneath it and slid it on the carpet! One of these days I need to get a bigger one, but I'll have to have a pro do that one, the one I have is right at my max load.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you buy from a specialty safe dealer they will have a deliver service and will install the safe where ever you want it, even if it's up a flight of stairs. Wal-Mart, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, etc. aren't equipped to do this so the lower price has it's downside. Shop around and you may be surprised how little the cost penalty is.

I bought mine (600+ pounds empty) through a local dealer and he brought it right into my basement and positioned it just where I wanted.

BTW, one way to easily move even a very heavy safe is on rollers made of 3/4" heavy wall PVC pipe. Four or five pieces of pipe are set under the safe. As it is rolled, you take the roller that pops out the back and place it in front. Repeat until the safe is in position. You can roll almost any safe this way and even make turns. It's very effective.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased a Zanotti safe several years ago. It is an excellent quality safe from an excellent company.

Their prices my be higher than your price range. However, the safe door is the heaviest piece which I believe would be under your 200 lb limit.

Although I will never move it from my basement unless I sell the house, it will be easy to disassemble and move. I recommend them highly.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Prices do vary, I bought a Liberty safe, which is supposed to be a very good brand, from a Farm & Ranch store, one of a small regional chain of stores, the same safe from the Liberty dealer in the nearby big city was just about twice the price, and you still had to pay extra for delivery, plus an extra charge since it would have been an out of town delivery. The local store didn't have their own delivery, but they did know some guys that did it, after careful checking I figured I could do it myself, so I rented a Uhaul truck and went and got it, they put it on the truck with a fork lift, I took it off the truck, got it in the house and placed it by myself, but like I said, you have to know what you are doing, and I had grown up delivering heavy appliances.

You have to shop around, it can pay you to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts