MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out what kind of safe everyone has and what your opinion is about it. I've been looking at everything from GunVault, Sentry, Winchester, Browning, ect. I'm looking for more info before I make my decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We've been looking at gun safes and like the features of the S&W 4020, selling for about $750. It is sized for handguns has three shelves, and is padded to minimize scratches. We haven't done enough research to decide if that is the one, but you might want to take a look.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am glad to see another gun owner taking responsibility and purchasing a safe.

I had a local safe maker, Johnson Safes of Zionsville, IN, build a safe for me. I am quite happy with my safe but will probably have Mr. Johnson build me a second safe soon because I've just about outgrown the first one.

My only advice is to get a larger safe than you think you'll need. This is because you will fill it up very quickly!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fingerprint safe

I picked up a personakey safe a few years ago and love it. You can store numerous fingerprints from authorized persons and it fits nicely on the nightstand or in the top drawer. It opens in about 2 seconds when you put your finger on the sensor. I like having quick access to my firearm when needed along with the piece of mind that it is secure from untrained or curious hands.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a 28 gun Cannon Safe I bought at Tractor Supply for a steal of $525.00. Standard combination dial.

A safe is like a garage. You can't get one big enough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought one at Gander Mountain that I really like. It's a granite color powder coat and has Gander Mountain stamped on it. Paperwork says it's made by liberty but its type is not on Liberty's webpage. The safe looks and I believe is exactly like the Fort Knox Maveric in the 14 gun model. It looks just like the lighter granite color one on the Fort Knox web page except it has the GM stamp. It weighs about 500 or more pounds with S&G lock and was $489. I wanted something to keep the kids out, fit in a closet out of the way, and was heavy enough to deter all but those determined. I don't have a large or expensive collection. Just two shotguns, the M&P, and a Sig P250 when they're available.

PP

·
Registered
319 Posts
i don't have safe - per say. what i use is duralumin lockable case that look like brief case. I keep 3 guns (Para, Model 65, and 3913), spear mag for both semiauto, and speed loader for the 65. I also have my shooting glass in there (to prevent scratch), and my ear plug.

Its so that i can easily carry it to the range.

And this case is usually stored in the closet that i can lock

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
I've got a nice sized Liberty safe, plenty roomy when I bought it, but it's full now! I hate to think about it, but I really need an additional safe, or get one much bigger!

Get the biggest one you can, you will fill it up, no matter how big it is.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at Cannon and Liberty safes and WOW
, they are expensive but very nice.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Liberty makes some very nice premium safes, they also make some nice mid line safes, and they also make a very affordable line of safes, I paid (if I remember correctly) $750 for mine, and it's a standard size safe, not one of the little ones, it has a plain paint speckled exterior not the fancy paint jobs like the more expensive ones. Less expensive safes are around, you just have to look a bit harder for them.

Here's mine, it's hard to see in the photo, but the front says: Freedom Safe by Liberty

BTW this is a fire safe, not one of the cheaper ones without any fire resistant features.

·
Registered
297 Posts
5shot said:
I am glad to see another gun owner taking responsibility and purchasing a safe.

I had a local safe maker, Johnson Safes of Zionsville, IN, build a safe for me. I am quite happy with my safe but will probably have Mr. Johnson build me a second safe soon because I've just about outgrown the first one.

My only advice is to get a larger safe than you think you'll need. This is because you will fill it up very quickly!

How much did that run you, if you dont mind me asking? I'm curious to other details to that you can share. I live on the southside of Indy.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just bought a Patriot safe the Protector model. I love it. The only thing is that it's only certified fire protection test is performed by the actual company that makes it not by UL. But you can't beat the warranty. Everything fixed in your house no need to ship. I also got a warm and fuzzy from reading what the Better Business Bureau had to say about them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
DixieThunder 24 said:
[quote name='5shot']I am glad to see another gun owner taking responsibility and purchasing a safe.

How much did that run you, if you dont mind me asking? I'm curious to other details to that you can share. I live on the southside of Indy.[/quote]

I believe the safe we purchased was around $1,400. It is pretty large. Jeff Johnson, the owner of Johnson safes, is a really nice guy. He sets up at the Indy 1500 Gun Show and always has 5 or 6 sample safes of various sizes and configurations at the show. The website is not the best but here is the address: http://www.johnsonsafe.com/index.html

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was extremely fortunate with my last house, it had a daylight basement that followed the outline of the breakfast nook so I had three sides with solid cement below grade. I had the last wall closed in and put in a safe-door (cant remember the mfg. but they offered stand alone doors). Over the top were several layers of diamond tread and wood to prevent easy access from the floor above.

Yeah, that was Completely off-topic, I know. 8)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a number of them, including one like G56. I like the big safe well enough. It holds a lot of junk and is fire proof to boot. I also have some smaller units through out the house for quicker access. I like the Gunvault, but I have a cheap StackOn from Natchez that works just as well. The thing to rmember about the smaller safes is that they can be removed from the home easily, so you need to either anchor them or deal with the consequences. For me the smaller ones are meant more to keep guns away form my 2 y.o.

·
Registered
297 Posts
5shot said:
[quote name='DixieThunder 24'][quote name='5shot']I am glad to see another gun owner taking responsibility and purchasing a safe.

How much did that run you, if you dont mind me asking? I'm curious to other details to that you can share. I live on the southside of Indy.[/quote]

I believe the safe we purchased was around $1,400. It is pretty large. Jeff Johnson, the owner of Johnson safes, is a really nice guy. He sets up at the Indy 1500 Gun Show and always has 5 or 6 sample safes of various sizes and configurations at the show. The website is not the best but here is the address: http://www.johnsonsafe.com/index.html[/quote]

Cool, thanks. I usually go to the gun shows, so I'll have to check them out at the next one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts