MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
, I'm going to tell you how are the gunlaws in France.

First of all, weapons are separated in eight categories:

*1st cat: guns for military/LE use with international "military" calibers: 9mm, .50 , .308win, 8mm Lebel , 8mm Mauser, .223rem , etc.... available to shooters but only non full auto.

*2nd cat :military vehicules that can have mounted weapons: prohibited excepted for museums.

*3rd cat: gas masks and CBR suits: prohibited

*4th cat: handguns and military looking semiautomatic rifles with "civilian calibers" (lol) : .357 magnum, .44 magnum, .454 casull , .500 SW, .222rem, etc... so an AK74 in .222rem is in the 4th cat but an old Springfield 1903 in 30-06 is in 1st cat...

*5th cat: Rifles for hunters and military non automatic rifles in "civilian caliber" like 12cal or a Mauser98 in 8x64 for example. Restricted excepted for hunters with license and shooters.

*6th cat: Everything that can become a weapon: knifes, pepperspray , a hammer, a sausage

unrestricted except if you use it as a weapon.

*7th cat: non automatic rifles in .22LR caliber , starter guns, less lethal weapons... unrestricted for shooters but for non shooters must see a doctor who will certifiy that they're not mad before buying these weapons lololol

*8th cat: blackpowder guns and deactivated weapons: unrestricted

To be continued.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
next

Now, let's see how to buy a 1st cat or a 4th cat:

*First of all, you must be a member of a shooting club for at least 6 months.

*Then, you can apply for a 1st or a 4th cat. You're only allowed to own 12 first or fourth category.

*To apply , you must see a doctor, go to your police station and fill papers and show that you own a safe to put your guns in it. The police verifies that you have not commited any crime and that you have not been in a psychiatric hospital. Then, if it is ok, you are allowed to buy the weapons you've asked for. You have to renew your allowances every 3 years and if you decide to stop shooting or if you are late to renew your allowance, you have to sell your weapons or dactivate them.

* You must go to your shooting range at least 3 times a year and shoot 40 rounds under supervision to keep your allowance.

* You're limited to buy 1000 rounds a year per weapon you own, otherwise you have to reload!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Heh, I have a feeling the new Congress will try to mirror France. Well, if this starts happening in CA, I'll let you all know. It'll happen here first if anywhere. ::sigh::

Ciao,

Effy

·
Registered
64 Posts
no offence but i just don't like most of the french. i love the cooking and the language but the people not fond of at all, except for napoleon. to me the greatest is the french foreign legion, they even tried to assisnate the leader de gaul.
if you bust your butt for them long enough you can retire in a chateau and make wine for the rest of your days.

·
Registered
210 Posts
FrenchMp9owner, that was very informative!

Vos lois de pistolet sont très dures, aussi. (Your gun laws are very tough, too!!)

est-ce que on vous permet de porter caché ? (Can you carry concealed?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
that is actually very informative

I, for one, am very ignorant on European gun laws...

I know one of the main moderators at one of the 1911 websites is from Greece...

Frenchy...do you know the firearms laws of your neighboring countries?

Also, how has the European Union effected this?

For example, what are the travel laws between the countries? (I would imagine severely restrictive)

Wonder what the chances of travel from the US to France is...it would he HELLA cool if you could host a M&P shoot for all of us...I for one would be in...I think I could even get the wife on board for that one!

Plus, you would be welcome to come here to Virginia for a shoot anytime you want too

·
Registered
524 Posts
You're limited to buy 1000 rounds a year per weapon you own, otherwise you have to reload!

That, right there, is a show stopper.

You would think, given France's history, it would be one of the most heavily armed populations in the western world.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you can't tell that you don't like most of the French! do you ever personnaly know a Frenchman? I personnaly know American citizens and I would really like to go to visit the USA!

*We are not allowed to carry concealed weapons! We are only allowed to own weapons to do some shooting sports.

:?

* In Europe , gunlaws are very similary to French gunlaws. There are some minor differences, for example Germans have a reloading exam , Italians are not allowed to have "military calibers" but have instead calibers like 9x21mm...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I think we need to be cautious in what we post as to not offend our fellow French shooting enthusiast. The differences between the USA and France are interesting to discuss; but let's not make it personal.

I find it interesting to talk with others outside of the USA to discuss firearm issues. I am glad that you have a process to own firearms. As we all know, some countries have greatly limited or banned firearm possession.

Thanks again for sharing new information with us Frenchy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
+1000 on what Yukon said and Frenchy I'm sure once you hit our shores some members will gladly give the tour of their favorite shooting spots .

·
Registered
524 Posts
Your always welcome here (as in my place, USA) Frenchy, for what its worth, I thought France was a beautiful country, and Normandy left me speechless (holds a lot of significance to me as a soldier). Not to mention we have a lot to owe the French, like our independence!

They played no small roll in training us, and who's Navy did we trap the British against? hmm?

No hard feelings frenchy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No problem with me!

I have a thought about GI'S who came in 1944 and died on the French beaches to liberate us.

No more brother wars!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
FrenchyMp9owner said:
hope you understand my english... :roll:

Your English is fine and thank you for taking the time to educate us on the French gun laws.

If this country isn't careful, especially with the political changes we're experiencing, we could wind up with similar or worst gun laws in the US.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's a good thing you've got the N.R.A I believe!

In our country we do not have any "lobby" that defends shooters.

As I said before , weapons are only allowed in France for hunters and sport shooters, and IPDA is banned overhere. We are not allowed to shoot on "human looking" targets!

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 on thanks for the information. There are many beautiful things about French culture that have benefited the west immensely. I do not mean to highjack the thread, and if necessary I will take any response as a PM, but without prying too much Frenchy, do you feel that the effects of islam in France have been detrimental to the larger society, or are suggestions that France's islamic population is not willing to integrate into French society overblown?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts