MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm curious as to why many gun owners also have a keen interest with knives? What's the connection?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BLC said:
You can only carry so much ammo? :roll:
Are you serious? I really don't know how to take your answer with the rolling eyes smiley. I'm not being sarcastic, but that's how I took your answer.

To answer your reply, the way I look at it is: if I can't defend myself with a mag full of bullets (8, 10, 12, 15 etc., I shouldn't of gotten myself into a gun fight in the first place, much less hand to hand combat....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just trying to be funny is all, definitely not sarcastic. I actually agree with you. I am not big into knives but the few I am attracted to cost almost as much as another pistol!

·
Registered
910 Posts
For me it's another possible tool I can rely on to keep myself alive in a sh*tty situation. Also, most folks would freak out if I started using a .45 to cut stuff, so I carry a knife.

·
Registered
74 Posts
josh said:
For me it's another possible tool I can rely on to keep myself alive in a sh*tty situation. Also, most folks would freak out if I started using a .45 to cut stuff, so I carry a knife.

Now thats funny right there!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree, there is always a need for a knife. I have a benchmade auto that is always on my persons. Use it for anything and everything.

·
Registered
910 Posts
MPshooter said:
I have a benchmade auto that is always on my persons. Use it for anything and everything.

Other than Microtech I won't carry anything besides a BM. Awesome knives!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Benchmade, the S&W of knives...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
Benchmade, the S&W of knives...

what about the s&w knives 8)

·
Registered
30 Posts
josh said:
[quote name='MPshooter']I have a benchmade auto that is always on my persons. Use it for anything and everything.

Other than Microtech I won't carry anything besides a BM. Awesome knives![/quote]

how did you get all that finish off? That looks sweet!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, you guys know how to hijack a thread!!! I posted a question and was curious about the relationship between guns and knives and never got a good answer........

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Both are used for combat. Both are weapons that can defend ones life. They look awesome together. They come in all different makes models, colors. You can use them both for hunting. And I will stop at this one, collecting knives is just like collecting guns, there is never going to be enough to satisfy ones addiction :wink:

·
Registered
692 Posts
finalfusion said:
Both are used for combat. Both are weapons that can defend ones life. They look awesome together. They come in all different makes models, colors. You can use them both for hunting. And I will stop at this one, collecting knives is just like collecting guns, there is never going to be enough to satisfy ones addiction

+1

I can't (legaly) always carry a gun. Most times a knife is allowed and a utility knife is not a "dangerous weapon".

I refuse to be completely unarmed.

Not to mention the fact that knives, like guns, hot rods and boobs are just inherently good!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
A good knife is the one tool too that's way handy for way too many things to ever go without. My current favorite is the Gerber Presto 3.5 fine edge. These are by far the fastest assisted opening knives that I've ever encountered. It's discontinued now in favor of the partly-serrated edge version. I like enough that I even bought a spare. I hate sharpening serrated blades.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been doing some studying up on self defensive tactics. A few things I've noticed is that most people will recommend a knife as a transitional use of force before resorting to the use of a gun for self defense. The knife is a way to give the attacker one last chance to bail on his attack. Most attackers assume every victim they go after is completely unarmed. Chances are, a knife will scare them off, keeping you out of a gunfight. If they don't, their judgement is seriously screwed up. This is all assuming that time is on your side, only you can make the decision to draw a knife before a gun.

Other than that, I just like knives for hunting and protection purposes. I'm a tool fanatic, I have tons of power tools, I should be a Craftsman spokesperson. To me, a knife is a tool, much like a firearm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts