MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a good gun safe and found this model: gv2000d. I haven't been able to find any reviews on this particular model. Base on the features and price it seams like a pretty good safe, but I haven't found fire or water proof standards, or even reviews, has anybody had any experience with this model?

http://dsafe.stores.yahoo.net/gvmugudepibo.html

whoops, sorry it was late night.

Looking for something around $150+, holds two guns and a few valuables. I prefer fire and water "resistant", proof of course would be best! I want the hand mold for late night access, maybe illuminated interior?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Re: gv2000d gun safe

mad212 said:
I have been looking for a good gun safe and found this model: gv2000d. I haven't been able to find any reviews on this particular model. Base on the features and price it seams like a pretty good safe, but I haven't found fire or water proof standards, or even reviews, has anybody had any experience with this model?
I have no idea who the maker or model is but there are so many respected makers like Cannon, Fort Knox, Liberty, Browning, etc. etc. that I wouldn't waste time on an unknown.

·
Registered
65 Posts
GunVault isn't an unknown.

I have the smaller model of that safe. Works great! Fast and easy to get into. We have young children and this helps us keep everyone safe. I'm not sure its fire resistant though.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't own one (no kids here) but they have a good reputation for what they are. Their intended purpose is to keep your 'ready' weapon out of the hands of your kids while keeping it accessible to you in an emergency. They are not intended to keep your guns from being stolen. The thief will simply take the whole thing home with him to open and plunder at his leisure. Of course some allow you to screw them down to your furniture, a good kid-proofing idea, but a thief will just pry it off damaging whatever you bolted it to. BTW, these are also kinda cool for protecting you from facing your own pistol should you walk in on a thief. If you have kids then you should own something of this nature.

Fire and theft is where a true 500+lb safe comes in. It's a real bear for the thief to take home to open up later. A compromise for home owners is a between the studs wall mounted gun safe with electronic lock. Or for renters, a Stack-On steel gun cabinet bolted to wall studs and layered with 200lbs of bricks in the bottom. Neither will help in a fire but they will slow a thief beyond his comfort level.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Heatho said:
GunVault isn't an unknown.

Thanks, I didn't recognize the name just from the "gv" initials but now I know who they are. I agree the small lock boxes are only suitable for keeping the gun out of young or casual hands. They are no protection against a determined burglar with even a small amount of time to work on them.

I have a similar box for my bedside gun but put it in a real safe when we travel.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds good, should arrive sometime next week. And many thanks to sholling for the great tips! Then I will be looking into a larger safe!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
mad212 said:
sounds good, should arrive sometime next week. And many thanks to sholling for the great tips! Then I will be looking into a larger safe!
FYI Costco and Costco.com had a great deal going on a real safe.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The gv2000dlx is not fire proof at all. I have it just to keep my kids from getting access to my firearms. If you want to get a fire proof safe, I would invest in a "regular" safe. BTW, I got mine at snapberry.com for $103 before shipping.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i have a gun vault dlx its great for what it is. kids and adults cant get in unless they have the key, know the code or use some heavy tools

1 - 9 of 9 Posts