MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Haven't shot a P30 yet but did handle one at the gun show a bit over a week ago. The grip felt excellent.

·
Registered
67 Posts
HK puts out a quality product. The USP series and its derivatives are extremely durable, reliable, and very accurate for a duty/combat handgun.

However, having shot many variations HKs, I can say that the recoil on the M&P is much more mild, even in typically "snappy" calibers like .40 S&W, which for me yields much faster follow-up shots. The lower bore axis made possible with a striker-fired weapon probably has a lot to do with that, as well as the other excellent ergonomic touches in the M&P (love the beavertail). In slow fire, though, I am typically a tad more accurate with an HK.

The P30 has improved the grip ergonomics a lot for HK (and I understand the forthcoming HK45 will have a similar grip). But the other features of the pistol look essentially unchanged from the P2000.

Although I am probably going to take a very serious look at the HK45 if and when it actually shows up on dealers' shelves, for now the M&P remains my definition of what a polymer framed pistol should be.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well said. I agree. I am also interested in the HK 45 but I think it is unlikely it will unseat the M&P .45 as my .45 of choice.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put 100 rounds through a P30 today. Was not impressed. Its well made and the trigger pull doesn't completely suck like most HK's but thats about it. High bore axis, long DA first pull, decocker in an odd place on the rear of the slide, and of course the non-standard HK mag release. I certainly don't think it beats M&P ergo's.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We got one for T&E about a month ago ( why I dunno....but our primary instructor is an HK

freak....so I think he is the culprit. ). It feels good in the hand, but like the Sig has too high

a bore axis for my taste. And, I can't get excited about the decocker location OR the different

mag release. I don't think it will threaten Glock or the MP. And like EVERYTHING HK, it will

be expensive.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
That pistol looks like a real contender is it just me or is everyone following suit with the removeable backstrap???

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was $800 something so around Sig price range.

EMTCOP said:
We got one for T&E about a month ago ( why I dunno....but our primary instructor is an HK

freak....so I think he is the culprit. ). It feels good in the hand, but like the Sig has too high

a bore axis for my taste. And, I can't get excited about the decocker location OR the different

mag release. I don't think it will threaten Glock or the MP. And like EVERYTHING HK, it will

be expensive.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It also has removeable "sidestraps" or whatever they call them so you adjust the fit on the backstrap and the side. You have to use a punch to change them out btw which is a little cumbersome.

101Combat Vet said:
That pistol looks like a real contender is it just me or is everyone following suit with the removeable backstrap???

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mad Ogre comments on the P30. Always entertaining although I don't agree with a lot of things he says.

http://www.madogre.com/News.html

"The new HK P30 handgun. You've got to be kidding me. $790 to $1000 for a revamped HK USP Compact? It doesn't do anything special, it doesn't do anything different... there is nothing interesting about it... and it looks stupid. It looks like it's trying too hard to be Uber-Cool and ends up looking more like a Barak – universally awarded the title of Ugliest Handgun ever. Good job HK! Some one asked my at the gun shop why we don't stock HK weapons. “Why would want to do that?” I couldn't get a good answer to that."

·
Registered
61 Posts
P30 is Great!

The P30 is a phenomenal pistol. The ergos are second to none. Due to the erogs perceived recoil seems to be around that of the M&P9. Accuracy seems to be about par with the P226 which is phenomenal.

H&Ks have never been bargain priced so it only shows irrelevance to speak of price: they are what they are. It seems a "better" pistol than the M&P in some areas, but I have no issues AT ALL with the M&P. After experencing a P30 perhaps Smith should "ape" the removable side panels further refining an already phenomenal pistol.

So now we have H&K and S&W being the best polymer pistols on the market with the M&P having the more preferred trigger type (consistent feel and shorter reset).

Ah, Schmidt und Wesson and Heckler und Koch. Ja!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its a nice pistol if you like that sort of thing. I just really prefer a low bore axis, and a consistent trigger. In my opinion the M&P easily beats the P30 ergonomics but thats just me. YMMV.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: P30 is Great!

997GT3 said:
The P30 is a phenomenal pistol. The ergos are second to none. Due to the erogs perceived recoil seems to be around that of the M&P9. Accuracy seems to be about par with the P226 which is phenomenal.

H&Ks have never been bargain priced so it only shows irrelevance to speak of price: they are what they are. It seems a "better" pistol than the M&P in some areas, but I have no issues AT ALL with the M&P. After experencing a P30 perhaps Smith should "ape" the removable side panels further refining an already phenomenal pistol.

So now we have H&K and S&W being the best polymer pistols on the market with the M&P having the more preferred trigger type (consistent feel and shorter reset).

Ah, Schmidt und Wesson and Heckler und Koch. Ja!!

Thanks for the objective comments :roll: . As far as "irrelevance to speak of price", it is very

relevant for some of us. I worked for an agency in Florida that issued the HK USP .45 and it was

not a good fit for us. Glock took our HK weapons and each officer was issued a Glock 22 and 27

with only a cost of $100 for each pair to our taxpayers.

Having fired the P30, I will stick with Glock and S&W M&P, as it is my SUBJECTIVE opinion they

are better than HK pistols. I don't think, however, that HK can be touched in the SMG category,

and their 416 is one awesome weapon, again my subjective opinion. ( off rant )

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think that the price of the gun is irrelevant when one is comparing function, ergonomics, reliabiilty... It is however, incredibly relevant when one is contemplating the purchase. As I stated in the linked review, I do not regret making the trade for one, but would have held off considering one until the price settled down to a more manageable level. The prices that the first few units were going for makes the gun not worth it for me. Having gotten it for free, so to speak, makes it definitely worth it.

Each gun has its pro's and con's. I like the low bore axis of the MP and also the constant trigger. However, I will admit that the difference in bore axis did not cause me much "pain". The difference in recoil and flip is not an issue and, for me atleast, indistinguishable. I LOVE the ergonomics of the P30. For ME and my grip the P30 feels much better and points more naturally. I also love the mag release, but them with my small hands it is much easier for me to use the index finger rather than my thumb.

Out of the box, the P30 had a better trigger than my MP, however, my Burwell MP kicks the P30's butt. I wonder if Bowie or Burwell can do some magic on the P30 trigger.

All that said, I am keeping the MP as it is also a great gun. Guns are incredibly subjective

1 - 20 of 27 Posts