MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably the only guy on here who owns an M&P compact before owning a Glock. I always hear and read so may good things about Glocks. So, last night I decide trade in my Sig 226 for a Glock 26. The Sig was my first gun, A very fine firearm, but frankly I have grown very fond of the polymere and the Sig to me is just boring. I Love my 40c, Its got some pizaz! I like a little kick back, makes it fun to shoot. After all my primary concern is owning a gun thats fun to shoot and that I can carry comfortably for self defense. So after much debate i traded in my Sig and bought the Glock. Now, I have never shot a Glock before. I wont be able to until the end of the week when I get a chance to go to the range. But so far my intial impressions are these: I came home and compared the two very closely aesthetic wise, since I havent shot it yet.

The Glock 26 and 40c are almost identiacl in size and shape.

Personally I like the way th M&P feels in my hand, much more natural.

I like the Glock gripping texture better.

The M&P seems to have a better line of sight and like the sights better.

I like the Glock trigger gaurd with groves across the front, looks very agressive.

I like the M&P metal magazine

Overall the M&P is a bit sexier.

They both field strip almost the same, no advantage here.

Glock has a great name and I like owning one.

Smith & Wesson has a great name and I like owning one. Made in the USA is a plus.

Glock has proven reliability, the M&P is still new.

These are my intial impressions and I will report back once I fire the G26 and give my feelings and comparisons.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for the unbiased report. I have a glock also, but it was bought prior to the M&P. I like them both, but am looking to trade the Glock in for a M&Pc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have fired a G17 as my first pistol. It was more accurate than I could make it at the time, and its simplicity made it a good platform to learn about auto pistols. However, the grip angle has never sat well with me, though I can still put some nice groupings down range with one.

I purchased the M&P9c as my third firearm (behind a Sig P220ST and a Kimber Pro 1911) The M&P on the other hand, points more naturally and once broken in, has a far nicer trigger. I wish there were no potential mag drop or other issues that are [somewhat] common to the platform, but I think that this pistol is definitely one of the most comfortable and fun firearms that I've ever laid hands on. It's now my EDC, whenever I can. 1200 rounds with zero stoppages

GLOCK makes a great product, but for me S&W has one-upped them in multiple areas. They just have to work on those few problems that arise, which they are doing with their great CS.

I hope you enjoy your G26
It's a tried and true roscoe to have on your side.

·
Registered
68 Posts
coltman1985 said:
M&P is stealing alot of Glock owner's hearts. I am one of them!

Had my heart set on a G23 and I didnt think there was anything that was gonna stop me. A M&P was put in my hand, rented it, took it home. Proud papa of M&P .40c

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Just got back from my first range trip with my new Glock 26. Brought 200 rounds of WWB 9mm ammo with me and gave it a go. Took about 50 rounds to get comfortable and then settled in.

The G26 shot great. Very accurate. Recoil was decent and it was fun to shoot. I then loaded up my 40c and had both guns out. I would take a shot with Glock , put it down, pick up the 40c and take a shot with that gun. I did this just for comparison of what I was feeling & seeing. I dont know of its perfectly fair to compare a 9mm to a .40 but they are so close anyhow. So here is my personal observations at the range.

Glock trigger seemed shorter and a bit easier to adjust to.

Recoil was just about the same.

Many say they dont like grip angle of Glock. I found it to be fine , and not any different than the M&P. Many have said the Glock grip was like holding a brick. It felt thicker but didnt bother me. I actually grew very found of it. The M&P grip is different and more conforming to the hand. You can always change the out the back strap if you like. For me, both are comfortable.

Looking down the site line I dont like the Glock sites. Though similar to the M&P they are plastic and look cheap.

Both performed flawlesly and equally accurate.

To tell you the truth I'm not sure which one I like better. I am really proud of my M&P and didnt want to like the Glock , but I did. There is something about the Glock that keeps attracting me. Maybe its the proven track record. I really like the checkered textureing on the grip, makes it look very agressive. the M&P grip I think could be better.

The slide on the M&P looks nicer as well.

I also like that the M&P has a complete stainless steel rail that runs the whole length of the slide.

Both are impressive guns and both perform almost identical. The bottom line is what do you like in looks and grip feel. I dont think you can go wrong chooseing either one. Frankly I think its a tie and I will be using and carrying both. Which ever gun strikes my interest that day ,I feel confident in carrying it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mags said:
I'm probably the only guy on here who owns an M&P compact before owning a Glock.

Not true.
I have never owned a Glock simply because I don't like the way they feel in my hand. Shot many of them. I finally found what I was looking for in the M&P 40C.

I also have a SIG 226. This was one of the first pistols I bought back in the mid 80s when large capacity 9MM was the rage. I am very tempted to trade it in or sell it to get funds for an SIG 229R or a full size M&P .40

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FALbert said:
I also have a SIG 226. This was one of the first pistols I bought back in the mid 80s when large capacity 9MM was the rage. I am very tempted to trade it in or sell it to get funds for an SIG 229R or a full size M&P .40

I traded my Sig 226 for the G26. I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Im not a glock hater, but Id value a nice p226 more than a G26.

I hope you didnt lose out too much on the trade.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My first polymer was a M&P9 and followed shortly by a G26. I love them both for different reasons.

My next two will be a Sig P250 and a Ruger SR9. I would like to own them all and heaven forbid that I ever become a "brand-man". I guess that one advantage of being a brand-x-oholic is that you could spend your old age on the forums trashing other brands. :wink:

·
Registered
308 Posts
woodspirits said:
My first polymer was a M&P9 and followed shortly by a G26. I love them both for different reasons.

My next two will be a Sig P250 and a Ruger SR9. I would like to own them all and heaven forbid that I ever become a "brand-man". I guess that one advantage of being a brand-x-oholic is that you could spend your old age on the forums trashing other brands. :wink:

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mags said:
...snip...

Personally I like the way th M&P feels in my hand, much more natural.

I like the Glock gripping texture better.

The M&P seems to have a better line of sight and like the sights better.

I like the Glock trigger gaurd with groves across the front, looks very agressive.

I like the M&P metal magazine

Overall the M&P is a bit sexier.

They both field strip almost the same, no advantage here.

Glock has a great name and I like owning one.

Smith & Wesson has a great name and I like owning one. Made in the USA is a plus.

Glock has proven reliability, the M&P is still new.

These are my intial impressions and I will report back once I fire the G26 and give my feelings and comparisons.

Perhaps I'm off-base, but it seems to me that the combination of things that you like about both guns would make an XD an excellent substitute for either one, considering your preferences...

Just a thought...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I own all three (Glock 36, XD 40 subcompact, and M&P 40C). Personally, I prefer the M&P over the other two. I'm pretty sure you can find my post/review on the all the pistols above, but overall, the M&P shines in my book.

Now, I'm just waiting on the release of the M&P 45C. Come on S&W, lets see those beauties. BTW, I'm also considering the H&K P2000SK in the .40, however, the price tag is holding me back a little bit...who am I kidding...the price is outrageous, but they are sure niceeeeeeeee. Now I only need to convince my girl that I NEED another pistol. :roll:
:roll:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I also had a G17 as a first handgun... and I loved every minute of owning it.

But I grew tired of it, and as new models continued to come out that looked a little nicer and felt a littler nicer, I start falling away from it.

I do wish I had kept it instead of selling it, but oh well. They're a dime a dozen.

I love my M&P. And I look forward to owning more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
slomo said:
Now I only need to convince my girl that I NEED another pistol. :roll:
:roll:
Try a different tactic. Bought my wife the M&P9c for XMas (gave it to her early) and we both love it. I have a G26 & HK USP Tactical in .40. Wife has M&P9c & S&W915. Our rule is we are allowed to shoot each other's toys...

I like both the M&P and my G26 - but not quite so many goodies for the M&P. The HK is is suh-weet though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did the same thing. I have wanted an M&P for a long time, and when I stumbled into the store and they had the rebate and the two extra mags I couldnt pass it up. I opted for the compact .40 so that it wouldnt be too obvious to my wife that her "Christmas gift" was actually my Christmas gift. She carried it for about a week before deciding it was too bulky and went back to her Kel-Tec .380. Can you guess whats hanging on my hip now??

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I was a glock fanatic, but till this day I have never liked the grip or the trigger or the recoil. But if the world was ending tomorrow and I had a choice between two pistols, a glock would be one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts