MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in North Carolina and was wondering is it against the law to have a handgun in your vehicle on the front seat unconvered in plain view of sight. From what I have read this is not considered concealed. I do not have a CCW permit but sometimes take my handguns to the family farm in my vehicle to do some practicing. What is the proper way to transport if you don't have a CCW permit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am a police officer of 12 plus years. If someone tells me on a traffic stop that they're carrying a gun under their license (in my state, it's called a Concealed Weapon License officially), I feel a little safer knowing that I have someone who is not a convicted felon and is most likely an honest Joe/Jane.

My wife was recently pulled over by a state trooper. When she informed him of her CWL (as is required by state law) he had her put her hands on the wheel, removed her from the vehicle and made her sit in the car with him while he conducted business. I don't exactly work in Mayberry but I really doubt that a woman would: never get in trouble with the law, go through background checks and fingerprinting, wait three months, get a handgun license, steal a nice vehicle, dress as a business woman, intentionally get pulled over by a cop, tell him she has a license to carry, tell him she has a gun and where it is, then shoot him.
He was very professional and polite, but that just seems a little inane to me.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
By reading NC law it appears that you can have a handgun on seat in plain view without breaking the law. But since they state that there is no specific law covering transporting a handgun I would get a permit to be safe. A traffic stop could go bad real quick this way. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm in North Carolina and was wondering is it against the law to have a handgun in your vehicle on the front seat unconvered in plain view of sight. From what I have read this is not considered concealed. I do not have a CCW permit but sometimes take my handguns to the family farm in my vehicle to do some practicing. What is the proper way to transport if you don't have a CCW permit.
Why
gamble. 1st get a CCW. Until then, keep it in your trunk if you have one.

Stay Safe,

A.T.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can tell you that if I walk up to a car that I have pulled over and see a gun on the passenger seat then someone might be looking at my firearm. I have said this over and over again in this forum and others, but I will say it again.....When I pull someone over I don't know who that person is or what their background is. It is very unusual for a legitimate carrier of a weapon to just put an exposed gun on the passenger seat. Further, it is unsafe because if you have to brake suddenly, or God forbid, crash, then your

handgun is going to go flying God knows where.

If a legitimate carrier of a handgun shows me his permit along with his driver's license on a traffic stop, we

generally aren't going to have any problems. The legitimate gun carrier has nothing to hide, and I think one

with training knows better than to lay a gun unsecured, holstered or not, on the seat beside him.

It is illegal where I live and work to carry a gun in a car or on your person without a permit. I don't necessarily agree with the car part of the law, but I also don't have the luxury or picking and choosing which laws I enforce.

Get the permit, save yourself the potential hassle, THEN carry it in a secure place...like on your person where you can get to it if you need it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I do not know the legalities of NC... but doesn't that sounds like a good way to get in trouble very quickly?!?

I think I can clear one thing up here..

First every State has its own laws and I didn't read the link yet to NC laws, but...

The whole exposed gun thing is (in my State)..

The exposed gun is for UNLOADED guns with the action open! Also, the gun should be not be within reach of the driver. The point of this is obvious..they want to see the and and be able to tell that it is unloaded...this pertains to people w/o a license to carry (loaded)..The gun can also be carried concealed unloaded, but again not within reach of the driver..It is better to see a gun and know its unloaded (visual check), than to find a gun and not know initially if its loaded or not!

Once the gun becomes loaded, you need a permit and carry it however and whereever you want!

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you call your local PD they should be able to help, just explain you do not have a CCW and can legally own a pistol and would like to know if it is illigal to transport your pistol openly on the seat of your car.

Also you could contact the NC Department of Justice with the form on their website, you will probably get the most accurate answer from them:

http://www.ncdoj.com/default_contactus_for...ctionid=general

Cheers,

·
Registered
757 Posts
You need to check the law in your state. Having said that: even if legal, it isn't real bright to have a weapon on the seat. As noted earlier, it can and will move during normal driving, and in the event of an accident. Also as noted earlier, a law enforcement officer walking up to your vehicle is gonna be real unhappy with the sight of the weapon.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This question seems odd to me. What is your reason for wanting to have it exposed on the seat next to you?

If, as you state, you're really just transporting it to the family farm for practice, then what's the point of keeping it on the seat?

Why not do the simple thing: put it in a box, and put the box in the trunk. Then you're almost certainly legal beyond any question, provided your state allows you to own the thing in the first place. Besides, the gun will stay cleaner and shinier that way.

If you're really worried about passing muster, put a padlock on the box. That's what the holes in pistol boxes are for. If you're extra-worried, then secure the box to the car in some way so it can't be taken out.

If you're keeping the gun exposed on the seat to have it handy for protection, then why don't you already have a CCW (or, why aren't you going for one)? The primary purpose of getting a CCW permit is to allow you to keep a gun on you for protection.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
8,317 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yea, why insist on practicing your rights unless you think they're really something worth keeping. Leave that to the activists.

Um, are you actually advocating violation of CCW laws?

Do you carry your tactical Mossberg into the local Wally World just because you have a right to bear arms?

:confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think I can clear one thing up here..

First every State has its own laws and I didn't read the link yet to NC laws, but...

I wasn't referring to the law. Having a gun exposed on the passenger seat will not play well during a traffic stop, guaranteed.

Also people spotting it from higher riding vehicules or walking by your car might spot it and call 911 on you. Not good either.

To me it just seems like a surefire way to get in trouble regardless of what your local laws are.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yea, why insist on practicing your rights unless you think they're really something worth keeping. Leave that to the activists.

I just recently read an article by Massad Ayoob ( if you don't know who he is you might not belong here ) in the latest issue of "Concealed Carry" magazine that addresses someone with this exact same train of thought. Ayoob's insight matches mine, which is to say...."This sounds like someone on the way to jail."

Until your state government recognizes your right to carry a firearm without a permit ( not likely in most states ), like Vermont and Alaska do, the permit will keep you in the good graces of law enforcement.

You can go to court with your "It's my Second Amendment right to carry a firearm" ( and I might not totally disagree with you ), but it would be wise to learn from others who have tried this and now don't have the right to own a firearm at all due to a felony conviction ( worse case ) or are now ineligible for the permit that would have kept them out of court in the first place due to a firearms related misdemeanor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wasn't referring to the law. Having a gun exposed on the passenger seat will not play well during a traffic stop, guaranteed.

Also people spotting it from higher riding vehicules or walking by your car might spot it and call 911 on you. Not good either.

To me it just seems like a surefire way to get in trouble regardless of what your local laws are.

What I said was...having a gun exposed with the action OPEN and unloaded IS what Cops prefer to see! I never said just having the gun on the seat.

Of course a closed gun on the seat is a scary thing...if the gun is going to be closed it should be well out of reach of the driver and seperate from any ammunition!

Yes, unloaded handguns should be kept in cases, but once concealed, they should not be within the reach of the driver...

The LAW that says you can carry a GUN on the seat (with the action open)this might make more sense to you if you consider a long gun where you may not have a backseat or trunk..I.E. a p/u truck...if you're gonna carry it in the cab...the cops would rather SEE it than not...and when they see it they would feel at ease seeing the action open!

·
Registered
237 Posts
What I said was...having a gun exposed with the action OPEN and unloaded IS what Cops prefer to see! I never said just having the gun on the seat.

Of course a closed gun on the seat is a scary thing...if the gun is going to be closed it should be well out of reach of the driver and seperate from any ammunition!

Yes, unloaded handguns should be kept in cases, but once concealed, they should not be within the reach of the driver...

The LAW that says you can carry a GUN on the seat (with the action open)this might make more sense to you if you consider a long gun where you may not have a backseat or trunk..I.E. a p/u truck...if you're gonna carry it in the cab...the cops would rather SEE it than not...and when they see it they would feel at ease seeing the action open!

Ummmm...not this cop.....If I see a gun on a seat near the driver, open action or not, things will probably be tense for both of us until I separate the gun from the driver. What reason would one possibly have to have a handgun on the front seat with the action open?

There is always another option, no matter what type of vehicle you are driving. Box it up, put it in the trunk, whatever. Putting it on the seat is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ummmm...not this cop.....If I see a gun on a seat near the driver, open action or not, things will probably be tense for both of us until I separate the gun from the driver. What reason would one possibly have to have a handgun on the front seat with the action open?

There is always another option, no matter what type of vehicle you are driving. Box it up, put it in the trunk, whatever. Putting it on the seat is asking for trouble.

I simply am stating why these LAWS exist..This is how many States WANT you to carry your unloaded guns!

I don't know why anyone would "freak-out" with an open gun??

I explained in detail, WHY someone would have a gun on the seat next to them...read my post!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't know why anyone would "freak-out" with an open gun??

Take your pistol with a loaded mag inserted and open the slide.

Lay it down on the seat so that it can be grabbed instantly but so that the round showing through the ejection port is not immediately visible.

All you need to do is thumb the slide stop as you pick it up, and now you've got a loaded firearm in your hand.

I can easily see why even an open gun would make a cop walking up to the car nervous.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts