MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a couple of reasonably priced safes at Wal*Mart that would be adequate for storing the hand guns I currently have in my home. One has the electronic keypad entry while the other is the conventional combination lock. I'm looking closely at the electronic lock as one that could be opened more quickly. I'm assuming somehow there's a battery involved in this device. Am I better off with the combination lock or does the keypad type have other means of entry in case the electronics fail? Here's a link to both types. The combination lock type is pictured in the similar items on the page for $149.98.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3922138

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
The keypad would be much more convenient, the keypad type operates off a battery, I'm not sure about the backup for opening so I can't really comment on that, my safe has a conventional dial lock.

While this safe will keep the kids away from the pistols you will have to solidly bolt it down if you want any theft protection, a thief will simply pick up the entire safe and carry it off, it's a bit heavy (99 lbs) but certainly not beyond being carried off.

·
Registered
264 Posts
While I dont have that particular brand/model, both of my electronic safes have a key back up in case of battery failure. I will second G56 on the bolt that down comment. These safes are LIGHT.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I also dont have that same model, I got one which is quite cheaper, around $40. It has the 4 button electronic combination function; which is powered by 6 AA batteries which will last for about 6 months; once they start to get low it will alert you to this fact. If you let them drain completely, there is a terminal where you can jump the safe with a 9v battery to allow you to electronically key in the lock combination and if all else fails, there is a conventional lock and key. It is quite sturdy and foam lined with a springloaded door, but like they mentioned it is also quite light and should be bolted down. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies so far. Yes, I know I'd have to bolt the safe to a wall. I'm actually considering fastening anchor bolts to a concrete block wall with epoxy and then securing the safe to that wall with nuts through the inside on the back. These two safes are heavy enough so it would take a couple guys to carry one out. My neighborhood is pretty good though. I live next door to a K-9 cop who parks his squad car in his driveway and his dog lives in his back yard. And our schnauzers are certain to make a lot of noise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I picked up a nice one from the local locksmith that fits in between the studs in the wall. It has aheavy duty door and a regular lock. The nice thing is a picture hides it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts