MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have put about 300 rounds through the pistol following its return from Tripp Research for a Cobra Chrome coating. I thought I would post my thoughts thus far.

The finish was done well. It appeared a little thin on the underside of the slide just forward of the ejection port, but nothing that I am concerned about. It appears very durable and a little slick, but in no way as slick my NP3 (see below). After 100 rounds I had a very noticeable and to date, very difficult to remove, accumulation of powder residue on the breach and on the back side of the ejection port on the top of the slide. I have tried all manner of chemicals, Scotchbrite pads, and other tricks, which all proved unsuccessful. In an act of desperation I put a brass brush attachment on my Dremmel and managed to distribute/remove some of it, but it is still there. As it had the Melonite finish before, I cannot tell you if the gun had this type of deposit before, or if the Cobra Chrome creates a better surface for it to adhere to. I am still considering soaking the whole thing is CLP or something that my dissolve it, but I do not want the Loctite holding my rear site on to dissolve as well.

I have also had about four failure to extracts in 300 rounds, something that never happened on the stock gun. If I had to do it again, I would have either not done it, or went with the NP3 instead. The NP3 is smoother, and has been a real pleasure to clean on my H&K. It is hard to tell if the crud is a byproduct of the M&P design, or the Cobra Chrome. In any case, having a nice looking gun that I cannot get clean, seems to defeat the aesthetics I was hoping to achieve in addition to the increased durability.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Man, so sorry to hear that moshooter... The FTF/FTE's are a big big issue....sounds like tolerance problems (in context with the slide refinishing).

Send it to S&W and if they can't get it right (or at least point to individual components that need replacing), maybe tripp will cover damages?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have the answer!

Well I had an epiphanie today regarding the black marks on the slide where the top of the barrel contacts it (and rubs) during a cycle. I also have these same marks on the rear of the chamber on what I think they call the breach. It is not gunpowder residue (or not all of it), it is - drumroll please, melonite from the barrel. I never had the barrel blasted or coated, just the slide. As the chrome is harder than the melonite finish it is rubbing off.

For those of you who are thinking of getting your slides chromed or NP3'd, I would highly recommend you either polish the barrel or have it coated in the same material as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have not had any sort of malfunction in about 300 rounds now. It appears all the parts have worn in. I still really like the look. I would have the barrel polished, but I think this would be a violation of IDPA rules for SSP.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have 3 slides hard chromed by Tripp. Sometimes on 1 of my P99s, I get residue that won't come off with normal cleaning with CLP. I use regular Hoppes solvent, and it comes off everytime.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures

Here are some pics of the black residue I am referring to. The first is where the barrel locks up with the top of the slide, just above the chamber. The second is just above the extractor. Both of these spots diminished with the brass attachment on a dremmel, but did not completely go away. I will try Flitz and other polishing compounds, but I suspect it is the melonite as it will not go away completely and this is the first gun to exhibit this behavior, and all my other guns are or have been stainless or finished in a light material. The gun runs great now, but I would hate for someone to think I keep a dirty gun.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've got to ask. The M&P comes with a black slide. Some of us are paying to have it bead blasted or NP3'd. Now someone wants to blacken the hard chrome.

·
Registered
157 Posts
rsrelif said:
Can you have hard chrome blackened and do you know who does it?

Thanks

Hard Chrome only is done in silver. There is a Black Chrome but it isn't very hard.

I've had Tripp do several handguns for me and others. I've never had a problem with any of them, or the workmanship.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Moshooter, I have had two M&P pistols hard chromed for clients, neither of them are exhibiting the issues you pictured although both of the M&Ps where done by trip they both had the barrels hard chromed too. They do get some black carbon deposits on the breach face but it is easily removed with these cleaning patches

http://secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/product174.html

The blackening at the front of the ejection port on the slide may be from the melonite on the barrel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts