MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's much much easier for me to focus on the rear sights. I have night sights, btw.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not until you mentioned it and I sighted the pistol. I focused on the rear sight and the next two tims I brought the pistol up, my eyes wanted to focus there. It's a (not so) simple matter of training yourself to focus on the front sight. I had a similar problem when I switched from one eye to two eyes. Could not get one sight picture for a few minutes. Worked on it (forced focus then relaxing he eyes) and now I have to work on seeing double. Same way with the front sight. Practice for a while.

PS. I have the immense advantage of 5 decades of glasses and bifocals. The target and rear sight are blurry (as they should be) and the front sight is also a bit blurry.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I also had the same problem only with the standard 3 dot sights.

Easy fix, I bought one of Dan Burwell's rear sights "no dots" and

now the issue is resolved.

Sight alignment is also not an issue with me.

When I raise the gun up the sights naturally align.

If I go to night sights, it will be on the front only.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm keeping my rear night sights, so I guess I'll have to practice to get used to it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Eddo36 said:
Well I'm keeping my rear night sights, so I guess I'll have to practice to get used to it.

Or go to the optometrist and get your eyes checked. Although you would probably notice myopia that bad, astigmatisms can do some odd things to getting a good sight picture.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Eddo36 said:

Some times it is easier with contrasting colors on night sights. I prefer Green front and yellow rear. I makes a difference as the green is always brighter.

Regards,

·
Registered
495 Posts
Eddo36 said:
Many very knowledgable trainers and genuine guys that go into harms way recommend a plain black sight for the very reason you are having. You want (need) your eyes to notice, go to and focus on the front sight. The novak style sights, whether 3 dot or night sight is way to busy and distracting for many. If this is just a range toy it will never matter. If it is for serious business, well then it just might.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I do use it for range. But the primary purpose of this gun will be self defense. And since most crimes happen at night, I would want everything to work, so it would matter in my case. You don't think simply practicing and leaving the night sights as they are would solve this problem? Or does it take more than practicing.

And is focusing on the rear sight really that bad for shooting?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Eddo36 said:
Well, I do use it for range. But the primary purpose of this gun will be self defense. And since most crimes happen at night, I would want everything to work, so it would matter in my case. You don't think simply practicing and leaving the night sights as they are would solve this problem? Or does it take more than practicing.

And is focusing on the rear sight really that bad for shooting?

Yes, you will never see where your muzzle is pointing, your not aiming if your looking at the rear sight, your just pointing.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm... I really love my night sights, both front and rear. I really don't want to replace the rear one, but I still want my gun to be effective at night where I can focus on the front sight easily and properly. :?

·
Registered
55 Posts
On simple fix would be to take a black felt marker and black out the white vial rings on the rear sight. This would make it easier to focus on the white vial in the front site and not be distracted with rear. At night you would still see the three dots.

I don't know if this is necessary, but it is an option.

If you do this, I would train shooting in both lighting environments.

·
Registered
495 Posts
tripwire said:
On simple fix would be to take a black felt marker and black out the white vial rings on the rear sight. This would make it easier to focus on the white vial in the front site and not be distracted with rear. At night you would still see the three dots.

I don't know if this is necessary, but it is an option.

If you do this, I would train shooting in both lighting environments.
Same problem, at NIGHT, you know, the time these sights were designed for, you still have 3 confusing dots. Being that they are closer the rear dots seem brighter and force you to look at the wrong sight. There is nothing that can be done to help the topic originator as he wants to keep all 3 dots.

**Post edited by Jester**

·
Registered
495 Posts
Please forgive me for that. It gets aggravating when a new forum starts getting reduced to silly nonsense though. But, I was wrong for the attack.

Jester there is an IM inbound to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts