MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Shield and I can manually lock the slide back just fine and easy . I disassembled it to clean it and all was fine. I then disassembled it again and couldnt push the slide far back enough to lock the slide to get the disassembly lever ( on the slide of the frame) back up. After repositioning the recoild spring many times I finally got it to where the slide would go back enough to lock back. BUT EACH TIME I PUT IN THE RECOIL SPRING , IT WAS CORRECTLY INSTALLED. Do any of you know what could have caused this ? At my job a few weeks ago , I had to go get this persons pistol and make it safe until we completed a task. The pistol was a Shield. When I tried to lock back the slide on it , it too would not lock back all the way enough to catch the slide lock. I was pushing hard and it seemed liek it was far back enough that it was bottoming out the recoil spring but just wouldnt lock. It's wierd that it happened to me with my Shield and someone elses. Any thoughts or experiences similar to this ?

·
Registered
573 Posts
It is important the recoil spring/guide rod assembly be accurately centered in front of the barrel lug before the slide is reinstalled on the frame. If it is off-center the slide may not retract properly

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is important the recoil spring/guide rod assembly be accurately centered in front of the barrel lug before the slide is reinstalled on the frame. If it is off-center the slide may not retract properly
I put the guide rod back exactly how it is supposed to be each time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well I got to playing around with it today and racking the slide many times. I think that broke-in the recoil spring some and now the slide will go all the way back each time. Soemtimes there may be some slight resistance and then it goes back further. I think after shooting it , it may be even better. I have had many pistols but I haven't had one this tight. I'm 5-11 and 210lbs and plenty strong but this pistol is TIGHT !

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to me when I stripped it for the first time to clean before going to the range. The barrel was stuck in the breech position, trapped between the top of the slide and the locking block, and the slide wouldn't budge backward or forward. Had to jiggle and pull hard to get it freed, and the recoil spring didn't look properly seated. Tried it a few more times to confirm what was going on, and it was repeatable.

My barrel doesn't have a notch for the recoil spring, like my other S&W M&Ps do. I think the strong recoil spring also made it super hard to release the slide lock with a thumb.

After a trip to the range, I think the recoil spring softened. I also left the slide locked open while it was sitting in the safe, like someone mentioned. It hasn't happened again since then, and slide release button is easier to operate.

Only thing that didn't really improve so far has been the last round in the extended magazine. I don't think it's the spring, but that maybe there isn't enough vertical space for the 13 cartridges and the follower.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I believe the consensus is that S&W designed the slide lock to be just that. With wear, it can and has been used as a "release" but as the manual states, pulling back on the slide to chamber a round from a hold open position is recommended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts