MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Trust me there is no more of a GOD FORSAKEN place on Earth than Louisiana during the months of June-September. The heat and humidity will melt most anything. I have yet to see a speck of rust on my M&P's, or all my weapons. I hate to say this, but you need to clean and lubricate them occasionally, after firing them... :wink:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've had some pinhead rust spots.

As it was explianed to me there are multiple types of melonite finish. Only one of them inhibits corrosion. That is not the type of melonite we have because it cannot be applied to stainless steel.

The steel also seem to not be that stainless. So the guy gets holster wear trough the black finish, his acid sweat attacks the steel, and you get rust.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Only saw rust after I blasted my slide and carried it for a few weeks.

Got a new M&P, carrying that one, Im saving the silver blasted slide for competition.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The idiot in the other forum that is complaining of rust is number one, carrying in a pizza store. You would not beleive what flower can get into, and I can only imagine how dirty his gun actually is, there is no way he could keep it completely clean in that enviroment. Number 2 he also stated that "I never put oil on it to try to prevent rust; I hate my guns being oily. I pretty much just grease the slide rails"

The rust is his fault, not the fault of the finish.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I keep a very light coat of oil on my carry gun and through the heat and humidity of Northwest Florida, no sign of rust even where the melonite has worn through.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
I think he has proven that you can destroy almost anything if you neglect it bad enough.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I am in nw florida also. they should change the name of this place to hell in summer. Like Morgan said the humidity down here is unbelievable. No rust at all, hell I carry my 40 in a kydex holster and it looks show room new. A silicon gun rag run over it once a week does wonders

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
This sounds like user fault through and through I carried my assigned m-4 in Iraq EVERY day for a year and the slightest hint of rust and I didnt stop until she looked brand new (BTW only happened when I came back from midtour leave). I am not impressed by his lack of motivation if that was my ccw I would 1. find a better way to protect it from the surroundings (i.e. pizza dough , flour) 2. I wouldnt complain about it and take pics 3 days later to finally post it I would take pics then deal with it. This guys integrity isnt in tact IMO-Jason

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
im in central Florida, and have yet to see rust on my gun. I clean it every once in awhile to get the dust out because of every day carry, and i will now lube it a lot more now that I read this. I don't know where my head was!!

But 80% humidity is not unfamiliar for us Floridians!

I did find some rust on my shotgun, which spends most of its time in the case at home, weird.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hot & humid as hell SC here. Daily carry 9c. Have a few tiny rust spots on the top of my front sight. That's it. Nowhere on the actual gun. Then again everything on my 9c is nickel teflon'd.

THR. :roll:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mad212 said:
I did find some rust on my shotgun, which spends most of its time in the case at home, weird.

mad212,

I'd recommend you DON'T keep your shotgun in a zipped up case. The moisture trapped in the air inside the case is what is causing rust on it....keep it in the open air so that fresh air can circulate around it. Guns kept in zipped up cases will rust. I know from experience.

·
Registered
269 Posts
the term "stainless steel" is a bit of a misnomer. It will still rust, just in a different way then regular steel. I actually haven't cleaned mine in quite some time and it isn't showing any signs of corrosion. I'm running sort of a small endurance test, I just clean out the barrel and drop a bit of oil on the contact points from time to time. Though I don't get to carry it much because it is against the rules at work and i really like my job

·
Registered
103 Posts
machgt said:
the term "stainless steel" is a bit of a misnomer. It will still rust, just in a different way then regular steel. I actually haven't cleaned mine in quite some time and it isn't showing any signs of corrosion. I'm running sort of a small endurance test, I just clean out the barrel and drop a bit of oil on the contact points from time to time. Though I don't get to carry it much because it is against the rules at work and i really like my job

Stainless will rust just like chrome-moly. It just doesn't rust as easily. The term "rust-resistant steel" just doesn't have the ring of "stainless steel." As stated in a previous post, wipe it down with a silicon rag or an oiled rag occasionally and you will be alright.

Joe

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
texagun said:
[quote name='mad212']I did find some rust on my shotgun, which spends most of its time in the case at home, weird.

mad212,

I'd recommend you DON'T keep your shotgun in a zipped up case. The moisture trapped in the air inside the case is what is causing rust on it....keep it in the open air so that fresh air can circulate around it. Guns kept in zipped up cases will rust. I know from experience.[/quote]

do you know of any good locks for shotgun? I have it in the case with two locks for obvious reasons, but i would rather avoid letting it rust away. Oh btw its an mossberg 88 (maverick)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are a lot of good, inexpensive gun locks in any sporting good department or gun store. I don't use them because there are no children or gun-shy adults around here. I would certainly use them if I had children on the premises. Perhaps others could recommend some good quality gun locks.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've had no sign of rust om my M&P. I don't have my carry permit yet, so it doesn't get abused like some, but I agree that the Pizza guy need to do a better job. I can see where he doesn't like an oily gun, because the fine powder of flour can adhere easier. But if I were carrying while making pizza, I'd use an IWB and tuck my shirt to cover it. It's slightly slower on the draw, but hell, you've already got pizza dough in your hands.

For the record, I clean my 40 no more than three days after a range session (almost once a week), and I use Rem-oil on the components that don't get lubed with RiG grease. If it's starting to look abused, I'll rub it down with Hoppes oil and wipe it off. That layer usually lasts a month in conjunction with teh Rem-oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts