MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i'm glad to be part of the forum and am looking to be a better gun owner...i had just purchased an m&p 40c brand new and had a few questions
1.is Remington 180 grain fmj ammo good for the range? should i look for something else?
2. whats your opinions on frog lube?
3.if anyone is from toledo, ohio i cant find any shooting ranges besides clelands any ideas for an indoor or outdoor range in the area?

i thank all of you in advance for the info given and looking forward being part of the M&P family

·
Registered
219 Posts
Check the "Places to Shoot" link at NRAHuntersRights.org

A quick Internet search also turned up Shooters of Maumee, and no, I don't have any personal experience with them.

I'm currently using Remington UMC 115 for my 9mm, and have Remington UMC 180 for my .40S&W for my FS M&P40 on the range, but right now it's more a matter of what you can get for a "reasonable" price, assuming you can find any at all. I found the .40S&W at a Dunham's for $40/100, but that was the first I'd seen in weeks, and that was only because I chanced to stop by right after their delivery truck had arrived. Defense loads tend to be much more expensive, and I normally wouldn't use them for regular range practice other than to fire enough so you'll know how they behave compared to your regular ammo.

I haven't had a chance to try Frog Lube yet, but there are comments on the forums you can look up. I'm planning on getting some of the paste to try based upon what I've been seeing on the forums. (I normally use Rem Oil, as I see some others here do as well.)

·
Site Staff
9,635 Posts
:welcome:

I'm more partial to bullet weights around 160 gr personally, but I'll also admit, I haven't shot 180 gr ammo, so its just personal preference.

Frog Lube, not a fan, I've seen some tests, its mediocre at rust prevention, and I understand that the originator got bought out and the people who took it over compromised the lube quality to make it cheaper to produce. Regular CLP works great, that's all I need.

·
Registered
377 Posts
1) Shoot whatever you can get these days. The cartridge was designed around 180's and that is the most popular weight for LE's.

2) I would skip the Frog lube and also skip Gunzilla. Lots of hype but the test pieces I put them on rusted, and the lube properties were nothing special. My favorite of the CLP products is Weapon Shield. It leaves a slicker lube and provides much better rust protection than the classic Break free CLP or the others mentioned. For pure protection, eezox is hard to beat.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Welcome from Ohio :)

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Welcome from Texas! I've never used Frog Lube, so I can't comment on that, but Rem Oil works well for me so far.

I agree that these days if I want to shoot I may have to make compromises in ammo for range use and thats ok. Shoot what you can find. Having said that, I do prefer my .40 caliber be of the 165 gr. variety. :D I do own and have shot the Remington 180's though and they worked fine.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Welcome from Texas. I was using CLP until my Gunsmith came up with a concoction that he call's "Gunny's Red Oil". He has been testing different blends for about a year. He does all of Cabela's work for their Buda Store and has used it to fix a lot of problems with guns that they send him. It is extremely "slick" and I have had no FTF's in my Walther PPK since using it. My M&P's and other pistols never had a problem to begin with as far as FTF's go. I will be buying more of it from him. He plans on producint it and marketing it next year. I have no experience with Frog Lube.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey Ya'll!

Welcome to the forum from Beautiful Downtown Monroe, Georgia!!!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

As to your questions:
-I shoot exclusively 180 grain bullets in my .40's/
-I actually use Frog Lube on my guns. So far I have not had a problem.
-If you move to Georgia, I can take you to a bunch of places to shoot. Some even let Yankees in!! ;);) Just kiddin'!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts