MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I just joined a couple of minutes ago and this looks like a great community!!

I recently purchased a Shield 9 and so far have put about 500 rounds through it at the range. Works flawlessly ... well ... maybe with one small issue that you can help me with.

I'm considering putting on adjustable rear sights and was wondering if any of you had done that and could offer your tips and preferences. The reason is that I consistently group about 5-6" to the left at 10 yards. That's a LOT for that distance! It's me for sure, but I have varied my grip strength in both hands, how I'm holding the pistol, my stance, fussed with positions of my strong and weak hands, etc. I've pulled gently straight back on the trigger with every part of my index finger from the tip to the first joint. Nothing seems to change the grouping. I have a nearly perfect rear/front/target sight picture. Dry firing reveals no noticeable jump. Recoil on the Shield is so mild that it is not an issue with me, so I don't think I'm anticipating it. I'm feeling pretty dumb right about now. Missing something!

I asked one of the range people to have a go at it and he grouped 7 shots in a nice tight group just a hair above the bull. Apparently it's my problem. Okay, I can live with that and work on it, but the issue is that I Concealed Carry the Shield and am uncomfortable now that the holes don't appear just where I want them to. I have no trouble adding adjustable sights if that makes it group where I want.

Your Advice??

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
:welcome:

Best advice is: Practice-practice-practice.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Welcome to the Neighborhood! :)

Guns such as a Shield are notoriously hard to shoot especially if like me, you're used to full size handguns. Keep working at it you'll get it. Just remember small mistakes are magnified with a smaller weapon.

BTW, the rear sight on a Shield is adjustable. Just loosen the small set screw and move it. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I give you credit for not blaming the gun.

But before drifting the rear sight you might want to fix the real problem... get a laser unit, even an inexpensive one will do the job. Dry fire it and watch where the laser beam hits the aim point. The point of the exercise is to drop the "hammer" and not have the laser dot jump to the left. You'll get it it's just about learning how to do it correctly and doing it right 100% of the time.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin!

There are certain guns I've shot in the past that I just couldn't hit my point of aim while others had no problem. I had a bit of a problem with my brand new at the time 40c. I was very consistent but all a little to the right. Changed my grip & experimented until I finally got it. I wasn't too worried because had it been a human being I still would have hit him at 20'-30'.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hi All. I just joined a couple of minutes ago and this looks like a great community!!

I recently purchased a Shield 9 and so far have put about 500 rounds through it at the range. Works flawlessly ... well ... maybe with one small issue that you can help me with.

I'm considering putting on adjustable rear sights and was wondering if any of you had done that and could offer your tips and preferences. The reason is that I consistently group about 5-6" to the left at 10 yards. That's a LOT for that distance! It's me for sure, but I have varied my grip strength in both hands, how I'm holding the pistol, my stance, fussed with positions of my strong and weak hands, etc. I've pulled gently straight back on the trigger with every part of my index finger from the tip to the first joint. Nothing seems to change the grouping. I have a nearly perfect rear/front/target sight picture. Dry firing reveals no noticeable jump. Recoil on the Shield is so mild that it is not an issue with me, so I don't think I'm anticipating it. I'm feeling pretty dumb right about now. Missing something!

I asked one of the range people to have a go at it and he grouped 7 shots in a nice tight group just a hair above the bull. Apparently it's my problem. Okay, I can live with that and work on it, but the issue is that I Concealed Carry the Shield and am uncomfortable now that the holes don't appear just where I want them to. I have no trouble adding adjustable sights if that makes it group where I want.

Your Advice??
Welcome to the forum
Assuming you are a right handed shooter....
1) What ammo are you using (ammo CAN and DOES make a difference)
2) Have someone else secretly install a snap-cap randomly in the mag (lets see if you flinch)
3) You`ve tried different grip technique....where is your right thumb during these technic`s. (thumb should be high, pushing tight against the frame)
4) Keep your right hand as high in the grip as possible (as close to bore axis as possible)
5) Grip the gun with both hands, tighten your left hand, loosen up the RIGHT hand
6) Keep the front and rear sights level across the top with each other, then dont look at your rear sight, just concentrate on the bullseye, put your front sight on it, squeeze the trigger slowly, follow thru with your shots.

This dosen`t work for every person or every gun, but this method was shown to me many years ago, it worked for me flawlessly every time. The most important note, find consistency, stick with one method, it will come, thru ALOT of practice. Also keep in mind, there are folks all over the place with lots of opinions on what works, no 2 people are alike, your not them, they aren`t you. You have to find what works for you. If you find that someone else is hitting consistant bullseye`s, (especially if its YOUR gun that they are shooting) watch what they are doing, you might learn something from their technic that might help, you.

EDIT: fingers typing faster than my old eyes can see....sorry, i corrected it...lol (my correction in BOLD)
5) Grip the gun with both hands, tighten your left hand, loosen up the RIGHT hand

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Welcome to the Neighborhood! :)

Guns such as a Shield are notoriously hard to shoot especially if like me, you're used to full size handguns. Keep working at it you'll get it. Just remember small mistakes are magnified with a smaller weapon.

BTW, the rear sight on a Shield is adjustable. Just loosen the small set screw and move it. Hope this helps!
+1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

----------
Thanks John. I had not seen a chart that addressed holding too tight with the strong hand. Mostly they say I'm using the wrong part of my finger on the trigger (I'm really not). I'll lighten up a bit and see how it works on the range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum!

I give you credit for not blaming the gun.

But before drifting the rear sight you might want to fix the real problem... get a laser unit, even an inexpensive one will do the job. Dry fire it and watch where the laser beam hits the aim point. The point of the exercise is to drop the "hammer" and not have the laser dot jump to the left. You'll get it it's just about learning how to do it correctly and doing it right 100% of the time.
-------------------------
Thanks Brian. Interestingly enough, my laser bore sight just came today. I when I squeezed off it moved the laser up and to the right. I adjusted my finger on the trigger (actually used a spot closer to the knuckle) until it stopped moving when the trigger released. I'll try that at the range too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum
Assuming you are a right handed shooter....
1) What ammo are you using (ammo CAN and DOES make a difference)
2) Have someone else secretly install a snap-cap randomly in the mag (lets see if you flinch)
3) You`ve tried different grip technique....where is your right thumb during these technic`s. (thumb should be high, pushing tight against the frame)
4) Keep your right hand as high in the grip as possible (as close to bore axis as possible)
5) Grip the gun with both hands, tighten your left hand, loosen up the left hand
6) Keep the front and rear sights level across the top with each other, then dont look at your rear sight, just concentrate on the bullseye, put your front sight on it, squeeze the trigger slowly, follow thru with your shots.

This dosen`t work for every person or every gun, but this method was shown to me many years ago, it worked for me flawlessly every time. The most important note, find consistency, stick with one method, it will come, thru ALOT of practice. Also keep in mind, there are folks all over the place with lots of opinions on what works, no 2 people are alike, your not them, they aren`t you. You have to find what works for you. If you find that someone else is hitting consistant bullseye`s, (especially if its YOUR gun that they are shooting) watch what they are doing, you might learn something from their technic that might help, you.
-----------------------------
Hi PaPow. Thanks for the advice. Just what I was looking for. I appreciate your list!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
-----------------------------
Hi PaPow. Thanks for the advice. Just what I was looking for. I appreciate your list!
Your welcome Carl... i did make a typing mistake, i did go back and fix it.

·
Registered
90 Posts

What G56 said...changing the sights isn't the solution. Find someone good at teaching to watch you shoot.If your group is oK but consistently not to point of aim, you're doing the same thing wrong every shot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts