MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to this site, sent over from the S&W site. I recieved a new M&P 9 c in part of a trade. I will be getting it in the next day or 2, it's new in the box, but I have been wondering about all the "horror" stories I've been reading. And is it true that if your gun has an "N" stamped on it that it is "new and improved" ? Honestly after reading all these posts on all these different sites, I was just going to put it on Gun Broker, but I would like to hear from some owners that "actually" own one and how it has performed for you. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I do not know what the N means, but I am sure someone on this site can clear that up for you. I have shot over 1000 rounds through my M&P9c with no problems. I love the pistol and I have not regretted my purchase at all.

·
Registered
599 Posts
new to site

Welcome to M-P. I just got my M-P 40c and love it. I have M-P 40 full size. They

are both great guns. Hope for a 5 inch some day.

Good luck with your 9c

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome,

I also have the 9c and have put only about 300 rounds thru but still no problems.

I say shoot it and see.

I love mine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just remember that most people post when things go wrong. Few people post "I have no problems".

If you visit any automotive forum, you'll see a whole list of horror stories even though you see those cars driving around all over.

Smith & Wesson are at roughly 1/4 million M&P pistols produced at this point. Surely if there was some kind of major issues the boards would be lit up like crazy, or, all that stock would be sitting on shelves like the old Sigma pistols.

Instead, you hear about fairly isolated issues. And some issues may or may not be a real problem. Take the infamous "Mag Drop". I watched a shooter lose his mag with every shot. He walked away all pissed off. I then stepped up and used the same gun and mags with the same brand ammo and never had a problem.

Only thing I can conclude is that his grip was such that he was hitting the release. Yes, that is a problem, but is it a design flaw or a bad grip?

Also, S&W is seeking police and military contracts. Such use requires pistols to undergo horrific testing. I know for a fact that the M&P 45 has seen some testing that the average consumer would consider abuse and the guns continue to be reliable. With very few exceptions, the M&P is winning contract after contract for duty gear. That wouldn't happen if people were discovering significant flaws as police and military armorers are some of the most picky and anal bastards out there.

And lets not forget that S&W has by far the best service policies you can imagine. I've returned revolvers that are 30 years old or older for service and have never been charged for it. The repairs are quick, done right, and I get back a better gun than I sent.

Would I worry about the M&P9c you are about to get? Yes. I'd worry you like it so much that you will neglect your other guns. I do.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 9c and i love it! just because there are a few with problems doesn't mean anything! How many don't have the problems! Ford or Chevy can't even get them all right! S&W have a great CS and will fix any problem you find! Shoot the 9C and have fun! It's a great gun and you won't be disappointed even if there is a problem S&W will make things right with no out of pocket to you!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I picked up a M&P9c that was a factory demo. So who knows how many thousands of rounds it has fired. Serial number wise, it was one of the early ones produced. I've never had a problem firing it and when cleaned, it could easily pass for new.

Keep it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
+1 Dukiedog

Exactly... Look at the iPhone forums on apples site right now. There's like 2000+ negative comments right now. If you went only by their forums you'd think they were all poorly produced and broken. Fact is they've sold over 500,000 of them now (officially). 2,000/500,000 isn't that bad. Keep it you'll love it. I bought a 40c about 3 weeks ago, 100 rounds so far no problems, will do 200 more tomorrow and will post results.

I have no doubt that you'll love the M&P so much you'll forget all the other handguns you own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pac757,

I was like you at first. I'm issued a full size 9mm M&P and never had any problems with it. That's when I found this site and began looking towards buying a compact. At first, I was skeptical because of some of the problems that have been discussed on this site. What finally made me say "screw it" and buy a compact was the reports of S&W's excellent customer service and their lifetime guarantee to making you happy with a functional pistol. These guys on this site are very, very educated on shooting and such. . . and they are absolutely right - forums are oftentimes places for people to go with problems. There isn't a mass produced product in the world that doesn't produce problematic products (say that 5 times fast
) every once in a while.

That being said. . . I am now the proud owner of an M&P 9c and it's perfect. During one of my range sessions, I put over 500 rounds through it in just over 30 min. The entire slide was so hot that it was almost red. . . not a single hiccup. I've got about 800 rounds through it now with absolutely no complaints ! This may sound weird but I think I'm much more accurate with the compact than with the full size !!

Welcome to the site !

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Welcome, a bit late but non the less...

·
Registered
414 Posts
I will also attest to S&W's awesome customer service. I've bought used twenty and thirty year old S&W revolvers which had timing issues... sent the guns to S&W and they fixed them without charge AND without any questions about original ownership, age, use, whatever. Recently, I've had repeated mag drop problems with my 40C and every time I contact S&W about the problem resuming, they are quick to respond with new parts to try or a call tag to return the gun to them (repeatedly).

I have no doubt that if you should, unfortunately, have problems with your M&P 9, S&W will make a valliant effort to make things right for you! They stand behind their products wonderfully.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Re: new to site

8th SPS USAF said:
Hope for a 5 inch some day.

hmmm. Because I am in the Army I dont think I can comment on that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts