MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:unsure:So I'm really new to handguns, I actually just bought my first pistol last week. (m & p 9c) I love it so far, ive put around 400 rounds through it, and im not very accurate but I assumed I'll get better with practice. I was just looking over it a little bit ago and I noticed something that I'm afriad may be impairing my accuracy, the end of my barrel isnt smooth. like not at all. instead of being a nice open smooth circle, its more like a hexagon (I dont remember how many sides there actually was in it).
Is this supposed to be there? Or is my new pistol screwed up? if it should be there what's it for? I'm freaking out, I really don't want to have to send it back so soon, I dont even know if I'm able to or if it would cost me a fortune.

·
Site Staff
9,623 Posts
Its hard to say without actually seeing it, the end of the barrel will naturally have some roughness due to the lands and grooves, they are rarely smooth, but some are.

I don't know whether it would show up in a photo or if you have the ability to take a photo that could show something, it would likely be quite tricky to photograph.

You might ask your gun dealer, or compare it to some others, if all else fails a call to S&W customer service might be in order.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Try cleaning it with a good gun cleaner. I use Break Free CLP. Normally after I get home I spray the CLP in the barrel, slosh it around & let it soak while I'm having some lunch & then when I'm done eating clean the rest of the gun & after that I run a bore brush through the barrel & some cleaning patches. Run the brush & patch starting from the chamber side of the barrel, take the brush or patch off the rod, remove the rod & do it again from the chamber side until a patch comes out clean. All of the bad appearance could be residue.

If you still notice the barrel looks like it does now then it's time to call S&W customer service.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My M&P 9mm was not rough (as in tearing the skin on your finger tip if you rotated the barrel with the finger tip in contact with the muzzle end of the barrel).

My M&P .40 S&W was not rough.

My M&P .357 SIG would cut a circle in the skin of my finger tip - and it was bad to tumble bullets all over the paper, even at 10 yds or less. Some ammo shot okay, other ammo tumbled badly, as many as half a magazine would give me sideways holes in the paper.

Is yours affecting accuracy/bullet impacts on the target? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is, you might want to call S&W to see if they can "take another wack" at it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts