MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked it up this afternoon and dutifully came home and cleaned and oiled it. In the process the safety got flicked off, so I flicked it back on. Finished the cleaning and put her back together and now the safety is really LOOSE! There is a lot of up and down wiggle.

On my other identical gun that I've had for a couple of years the safety is not loose. It clicks up and down very cleanly - no wiggle. I've been shooting and cleaning pistols for a lot of years and I've not had anything like this happen before.

DID I BREAK MY NEW GUN?

"We three girls" are planning to go to shoot Thursday and it would help a lot to know if it will probably be OK to shoot. I do not use the manual safety on these .22 compacts. In other words, I keep it clicked off except when it it time for cleaning and the manual says to have it on and leave it on during the cleaning.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I never use the safety on mine, not even for cleaning.

Just a guess as I'm not an S&W certified armorer, but I'm thinking the worse that would happen is the safety won't work.
If you instruct all shooters that it is to not be trusted as a working safety, you're going to have a good day at the range.

If you run across a way to permanently remove the safety please, let me know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never use the safety on mine, not even for cleaning.

Just a guess as I'm not an S&W certified armorer, but I'm thinking the worse that would happen is the safety won't work.
If you instruct all shooters that it is to not be trusted as a working safety, you're going to have a good day at the range.

If you run across a way to permanently remove the safety please, let me know.
I just designed a fold out brochure for our women's group and it specifies that you should NEVER rely on the safety. Whether people will read it and pay attention or not ??!??

My concern was that with it being loose it might mess up the sear.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Sorry Granny; I’ve never seen one of those, but hopefully someone here has had one apart.

If you’re mechanically inclined; you may find something on utube.

·
Registered
541 Posts
M&P safeties have a small spring loaded detent installed in the side of the sear block. That detent is what holds the safety levers in the on or off position. If you knocked that detent out of place, the safety levers will flop loosely. You will have to remove the sear block and reset it in place.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M&P safeties have a small spring loaded detent installed in the side of the sear block. That detent is what holds the safety levers in the on or off position. If you knocked that detent out of place, the safety levers will flop loosely. You will have to remove the sear block and reset it in place.
Where do I find detailed illustrated instructions on how to do that? Hubby and I do not mess with the insides of guns without specific guidelines.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Where do I find detailed illustrated instructions on how to do that? Hubby and I do not mess with the insides of guns without specific guidelines.
Youtube videos from Apex and others provide very detailed instructions for disassembly/assembly of M&Ps. Your owner's manual should have an "exploded view" of the guns showing you where the various parts go.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Does this apply to the M&P .22 compact? It is a different animal.
Apex for example has zero parts for it, NIR does any other if the companies that do action work on M&P's.
Nobody will mill the slide for red dots either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've looked online today and I don't see an answer.
I'm trying to find the wrench to remove the adapter for the suppressor so I can get the slide off, it must be at the shop because I can't find it.
Sound like your model is the one with the adapter that sticks out the front. Bot of mine are the ones with the adapter inside the slide opening and the slide "slides right off." I never have to remove that adapter. Lucky me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sound like your model is the one with the adapter that sticks out the front. Bot of mine are the ones with the adapter inside the slide opening and the slide "slides right off." I never have to remove that adapter. Lucky me.
Mine came new like yours with a threaded barrel and a thread protector installed by the factory.
I had to buy the adapter that sticks outside to be able to use the suppressor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the new child out to play today and she performed well. Since I have 2 new guns, I only shot 40 rounds through the M&P .22 compact.

The new SIG P238 is STIFF and needs a lot more ammo through her to get loosened up. It is interesting that my other two P238's were not stiff like this one is. At least I don't remember them being that way. So far Miss Sally Sig has had 68 rounds through her. I am HOPING that another 100 rounds (and a couple more cleaning and lubes) or so will get her smoothed out like her sisters. I had visualized her as my new carry gun but she is no way ready for that. Too bad that .380 ammo is almost non existent at this point in time...at least at a price I will pay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts