MP-Pistol Forum banner

Help....New shooter here with MP9 problems straight from box

4K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  FLJohn 
#1 ·
So i picked up my first gun in my name yesterday which was a new MP9. Didnt test shoot it. (yeah i know...) Anyways i got it home and gave it a cleaning and lubed it to spec. I go to load some hydro shocks and chamber a round to see how the indicator works and.......nothing. The round just hangs up on the tube ramp EVERY round. (please excuse my ignorance of the correct terms)......So i try some fmj's. Same thing....If i rack the slide back a couple times or 'coax' the slide forward it will chamber but its not happy about it...This is sad becuase every other gun i've shot is smooth as butter loading that first round.

So my question is, Since I havent shot it, should i take it back to the dealer and walk away from MP's? Or am i doing something totally wrong...

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Re: A Coupla Things...

F15-Loader said:
Sorry to hear youre having some difficulties. Lets take a look at a couple of things first.

First off, are you assisting the slide forward or letting it drop freely? Try just pulling the slide back instead of using the slide release.

Secondly, are the rounds catching on the lip of the ramp or the lip of the magazine?

I tried both assisting it and letting it drop. Also tried loading mags with the slide open and loading them then working the slide... I'm not too sure where they are binding up. I thought it was just at the bottom edge of the ramp but i'll check later and make sure. Whatever the solution is a think a trip back to the shop is in order. Thanks for the reply.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
coltman1985 said:
It takes quite a bit of force to load a round from a brand new mag that is loaded to capacity. Here is what I would do before calling the dealer or S&W.

1) Make sure that you are not "riding" the slide down when it is trying to chamber a round. Either pull the slide back abrubtly and let it slip out of your hand or lock it back and release the slide lock.

2) Try loading the mag with 5-6 rounds and see if it will chamber a round.

Thats what i was thinking too, so i tried using 4 rounds, same things, then one, same thing, different mags, same thing. you get the idea.

Is there anyways i could have botched the reassembly?...It seemed straight forward but maybe i jacked something up.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
M&Pdoggy said:
Just checking the obvious...did you try more than one magazine?

Just in case something is not seated- try field stripping it again and then reassemble it.

What color are the followers on the mags? I believe the gray are the new ones and the black are the older version- not sure why they changed it.

I would go back to your shop, they may be able to give you more insight without needing to send it back.

I did try several mags...and stripping it again....I'm starting to think im not being rough enough with it. Could it just be the mags are tight and i need to rack the slide harder when loading?

Discussion starter · #18 ·
UPDATE

They are lugers so thats a good start. Mag feeders are in correct. I tried racking the slide back with a little more conviction and things went in alright. Perhaps its because im used to shooting used guns that are probably nice and broken in. I'm going to go put some rounds through it and see whats what. Lets hope this is just a case of the noob. I'll let the range master put a couple down and see what he thinks.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Back from the range

The range master took a look at it and thought there might be a little crud on the ramp so he brushed it off for me. (The crud was prob from me riding the slide)...

Anyways I loaded it like a man this time and everything went in good. (he noted that it is a steep ramp and things should ease up after a while)

Shot 100 rounds of fmj through it and had ZERO failures. It shot clean and straight...All in all i think this was a case of the noob. Thank you everyone for your help. Guns a blast to shoot btw!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.