MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of S & W forum members here so maybe someone with a little more computer savy can tell me why I can't sign on. My internet provider is AOL. I know, no aol. yahoo or msn, but why? No other forum rejects me, only the S & W Forum!! Very humiliating! :oops:

I keep getting a rather rude message saying I have been banned. I know I can be sort of a smart a$$ sometime but, how can I get banned if I never have been able to get signed up? Nearly all my pistols are S & W's, you'd think I could get on the S & W forum. :roll:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had the same problem when I signed up.

Registered, but never got a confirmation email and my username

and password would never work.

Emailed the site admin a couple times and now it finally works.

Only took me a month or 2.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
more than likely they banned an IP and it may have affected you.

Or they may have implemented a new spam software and it affected posters that havn't posted in a while or that have 0 posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
The S&W forum (Along with SigForum and RugerForum) don't allow AOL email accounts, or most other free email, such as Yahoo or Hotmail to register an account. To register you need some sort of ISP or non-free email account (I think i used my school account..). After you register, you can change in your profile your preferred contact account.

They do it this way to inconvenience the people who are just trying to cause problems on the board by creating a new user name with a disposable email account.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess I'll Just Lurk....

TBoliv said:
They do it this way to inconvenience the people who are just trying to cause problems on the board by creating a new user name with a disposable email account.

Thanks for the explanation. They also inconvenience ligitimate users. I realize there are a lot of silly, liberal, morons out there that think anything they can do to peck away at anything they don't agree with is ok. But, if this is such a problem, why don't the, many other gun forums, do the same thing. And, it would be kinda nice if they would at least respond to emails giving some kind of explanation. They are not doing S & W any good by just ignoring people interested in their forum. I don't intend to pay for a email account when I am paying aol for their services. So I guess I'll just do a lot of lurking. :roll:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Re: Guess I'll Just Lurk....

TxPhantom said:
[quote name='TBoliv']They do it this way to inconvenience the people who are just trying to cause problems on the board by creating a new user name with a disposable email account.

Thanks for the explanation. They also inconvenience ligitimate users. I realize there are a lot of silly, liberal, morons out there that think anything they can do to peck away at anything they don't agree with is ok. But, if this is such a problem, why don't the, many other gun forums, do the same thing. And, it would be kinda nice if they would at least respond to emails giving some kind of explanation. They are not doing S & W any good by just ignoring people interested in their forum. I don't intend to pay for a email account when I am paying aol for their services. So I guess I'll just do a lot of lurking. :roll:[/quote]

It's also a huge problem because of AOL, MSN, and yahoo's spam policy. Which boiled down means that if anyone thinks you are spam, you are spam, and they black list you. This is a HUGE PITA to anyone running anything that sends out mail, like a forum or mail server. THey are basically saying that we'll make the sender do all the work to make our spam filtering correct. Heck, even my mom knows the from address isn't reliable for determining the source of spam, but try telling AOL, MSN, Yahoo, etc. that.

So a lot of mail admins have repsonded by saying fine... these ISPs don't exist. Cuts both ways.

I deal with this in my job, and if i were running something on my own time and money, i'd do exactly the same thing. The time consumed by this BS is not viable unless you have someone bankrolling the stupidity. There terms of service for complying with their spam prevention policies are also absolutely unacceptable.

It used to be AOL sucks because nobody using it had a clue. Now AOL sucks because nobody running it has a clue.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed....

Ra-O quote;

It used to be AOL sucks because nobody using it had a clue. Now AOL sucks because nobody running it has a clue.

Thanks Raz-O. I agree, aol sucks but I've got so much stuff there I'll have to keep it a while. As soon as I can transfer some of it I will be dropping aol. Too liberal for me anyway.

There is a lot I don't understand about computers but I'm getting better. Computer's to me, are kinda like guns. I know how to use one but I couldn't be a geek or a gunsmith.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts