MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like a kid in a candy shop, and no one cares! I spent some time with my MP40 over the weekend. After reading every stipple thread on the forum and looking at every picture I could, I picked up to soldering iron, found the tip I wanted, and slowly approached my best friend. I played on the c9 small backstrap to get a feel first then dove right in. It turned out great (though moving from the back strap to the front strap was a little nerve racking, one this can’t be replaced and two, hey this doesn’t feel the same!). From there I broke into work and hijacked the laser printer. Printed out the trigger job manual and headed back to the shop to find my stones (I left them there somewhere after scaring the **** outa myself with the soldering iron…). Anyway, the trigger job turned out great also, I have not put a scale on it yet, but my god what a change! And to top it all off, this morning I went skipping out to the mailbox in eager anticipation, and indeed my new 10-8 sight had arrived.

No pictures yet, I will post some when I take them. I am feeling good, some guy came up to me at the range tonight with an MP45 and asked were he could send it to get that custom grip I had! Just a big thanks for all the tips and advice.

I tried to express my happiness to the lady friend, her only response was I spend more time and money on my guns than I do on her……she told me to go tell my online buddies, so here I am. I am gonna miss her……

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Its exciting to do too.

I want pics

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Congrats, we would all like to see the pics but most of all we appreciate you sharing your experience.

·
Registered
308 Posts
AARRRGGHH!! I want so bad to try my hand at the stipple...and I was an electrician in my youth, hours upon hours of time behind a soldering iron! Congrats on taking the "shot". Let's see those pics!!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
tsix said:
AARRRGGHH!! I want so bad to try my hand at the stipple...and I was an electrician in my youth, hours upon hours of time behind a soldering iron! Congrats on taking the "shot". Let's see those pics!!!

If a silly guy like myself cand do it so can you make the plunge buddy you wont regret it.. just use the backstrap you dont use for your first time

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pictures are on the way.....work has been a little crazy the past few days.

Believe me I am no picasso but this stipple worked out great. It is a hard step to make but you won't regret it. Start on an unused back strap to get the feel and just go to town. Once you get the hang of it that is not a whole hell of a lot you can do to mess it up. I had a few slips but they disapear after moving some material around. Just slow and steady around your lines to get a good edge. For me moving to the front strap was the struggle, took me two smokes and a lot of rain man inspired self chatter. I found that a little bit higher heat helped on the front but basically same as the back strap. Anyway, I say jump, but I will post some pictures, until then any advice I might have is the rambling of a mad man that for all you know has a peep hole through to the mag

·
Registered
434 Posts
WHEN! WHEN !!WHEN!!! WHEN!!!! WHEN!!!!! CANT WAIT!!!!!hayayay...
:lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been looking for instructions to do a trigger job on the M&P. I have not been able to find it. Don't know if it's me or it has moved from where some posts have indicated.

If someone has them I would appreciate a copy.

I have my own CNC Machine Shop and am pretty good with my hands and machinery. I would like to see if it is something I could do myself. Might even try the soldering iron treatment also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you so much Todd.

You are the "Man" 8)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He is the man indeed
If a monkey like me can pull it off I am sure you will be ok. I have done some work on other guns and it never really turned out like the book said it would :? but the M&P is very user friendly, even when it is in little peices.....Still no pictures, but it is not my fault this time, the lady that lives in my house, and eats my food, and yells at me, left the camera on, so the battery is on charge next to me as we speak....maybe tomorrow night.

Unrelated question that I am sure has been answered on thousands of other threads. What is the average stock trigger pull on these guys?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
All I did was forward along the instructions that had been posted previously. I wouldn't take my M&P apart on a bet. I am hoping to go through armorer training sometime soon.

I believe the stock trigger pulls are around 6# starting out, getting lighter with a little wearing in. Mine is at 5.25# after 7,000 rounds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Todd, I guess that did come out a little weird,
I spent a few hours over at the pistol-training sight last night and liked your articles, very well put together. I think it may have stemmed from that....I am sure you send links with the best of them too
I just put mine on the scale, pull is at 3.4 with the trigger job and right at 1000 rounds. Wouldn't mind going back in taking off a little more....

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Serbmarine -- thanks. Your comments remind me of an article I've been meaning to put up about the endless quest for lighter trigger pulls. 8)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want it to go bang if I think about it to hard.....
I shot rifle comp back in college and love a light trigger. Hard to shoot anything else after you get use to that Anschutz. But frankly I have no intention of changing the stock trigger on the carry MP, I like the feel and shoot damn near the same patern with that as I do the 40, biggest thing on the MP is a good grip. I that big comfy palm swell made me revert back to bad habits the first few trips. When I hold the damn thing right the trigger doesn't make all that big of a difference. But there is something to be said for knowing you did all the work to the gun yourself (even when it didn't need any :wink: )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts