MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I decided on blue locktite for now as this is the first time I have sighted in new pair of sights and wanted to be able to reverse in case of error. For instance, I sighted in the gun at 15 yards, but later realized that I probably should have sighted it in at 25 yards and used a benchrest, which was not available.

Jester,

Do you or Warren have spare set screws should mine works it way loose and come up missing?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Jester can probably give you a better answer, but I will say anecdotally that is is materially wider than the stock sight, or appears to be visually anyway.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
moshooter said:
I decided on blue locktite for now as this is the first time I have sighted in new pair of sights and wanted to be able to reverse in case of error. For instance, I sighted in the gun at 15 yards, but later realized that I probably should have sighted it in at 25 yards and used a benchrest, which was not available.

Jester,

Do you or Warren have spare set screws should mine works it way loose and come up missing?

I can probably round some up, or I'm sure Scott has some. If you let me know if you want some I'll see what I can do.

I don't have a hi-viz out of the package, maybe someone can chime in that has one on their pistol.

John

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Jester,

Please put me down for at least one, two if available. They appear to be a very specialized screw and I would feel better having one on hand, particularly as this is my CCW and I have not used the permanent red locktite yet.

Thanks

Paul

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
ok, I'll make some calls. If worst comes to worst, I'll pull the one out of my factory sight and send it to you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
moshooter,

Yes, the only thing keeping my Warren rear sight from sliding out of the dovetail is the set screw. Once you have it sighted in use loctite on the bottom as Jester said.

The HiViz front has about .004" clearance between it and the slide which I don't think is a problem.

UPSguy,

The Hiviz front sight on my pistol measures .127" wide.

KO

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jester said:
The warren is designed like that, and I reccomend that you put red locktite between the slide and the sight.

I think Hiviz are typical for having a gap also, not much, but some. It should be fine.

I would like to try one of the Warren sights, but I don't like the fact that it's not snug and the only thing holding it is the set screw. He could have designed them to fill in the gaps of the slide as well. Nice shape, but still needs work before I'll purchase them for the M&P. Most people don't want a sight designed for dummies. :roll: I wait to see the Heinies.

·
Registered
495 Posts
KO41, thank you for the measurement. Good to know, it is a slight bit narrower than the stock sight which will help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Jester,

FYI, the screw off the factory site and the one that comes with the Warren appear to be a different thread type. My smith and I compared them when he changed out the sight to see if they were interchangeable.

I understand why Warren would have made them a little loose if they wanted to make it easier for folks to change themselves, but the factory one was not that loose, so some measure of force is still needed to remove the stock sight. I am not sure a change in dimensions was really necessary then. I am not entirely comfortable with putting locktite between the slide and sight. What if I want to change it later. Will the locktite break free without harming the finish on the slide, or the sight if I want to sell it to someone else? It's a laymans opinion, but most sights I have dealt with do not require anything but friction and, in the case of the M&P, a set screw. I am happy with the sight's functionality and looks, time will tell if it holds up.

-Paul

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
moshooter said:
Jester,

FYI, the screw off the factory site and the one that comes with the Warren appear to be a different thread type. My smith and I compared them when he changed out the sight to see if they were interchangeable.

I understand why Warren would have made them a little loose if they wanted to make it easier for folks to change themselves, but the factory one was not that loose, so some measure of force is still needed to remove the stock sight. I am not sure a change in dimensions was really necessary then. I am not entirely comfortable with putting locktite between the slide and sight. What if I want to change it later. Will the locktite break free without harming the finish on the slide, or the sight if I want to sell it to someone else? It's a laymans opinion, but most sights I have dealt with do not require anything but friction and, in the case of the M&P, a set screw. I am happy with the sight's functionality and looks, time will tell if it holds up.

-Paul

Its actually a standard practice to put locktite on the dovetail. Dawson reccoments it, and most gunsmiths I know do it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I stand corrected Jester. Thanks! Should it ever fall off I will take that step. Please let me know about the set screws - no rush.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I got an interesting email from Hi-Viz today. I had asked them how wide the overmolded sight for the M&P is and they responded within a day .125", just like KO41 measured. More interesting though was their answer to my question about how one would go about replacing the fiber optic if it got damaged. They said it shouldn't, was strong enough for concealed or duty use and if it broke they would replace it free of charge. I think I am going to try one of these with the Warren sight and one with the 10-8 sight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Follow-Up

Got a chance to double check everything the other day at the range and I really like this sight combo. I need to remember to get a lane at the range that has more ambient light and is not in the shadows. Due to a lack of any white surround around the fiber optic, the sight can easily disappear in low light environments. If Trueglo comes out with their F/O Tritium hybrid, I think that will be the best compromise.

The blue loctite on the set screw is still holding too.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: Follow-Up

moshooter said:
Got a chance to double check everything the other day at the range and I really like this sight combo. I need to remember to get a lane at the range that has more ambient light and is not in the shadows. Due to a lack of any white surround around the fiber optic, the sight can easily disappear in low light environments. If Trueglo comes out with their F/O Tritium hybrid, I think that will be the best compromise.

The blue loctite on the set screw is still holding too.
Just got an email response from Truglo which gave absolutey no clue on when of if they are going to make a set for the M&P.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts