MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this is not the HK forum or anything but how do you all feel towards the USP & compact. i have an M&P 9mm and like it a lot, i am going to try out a usp compact 40 soon and want to know what you all think.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I love them, and still have one. I got rid of my P2K in favor of a M&P for carry. Do you have any specific questions?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm looking into the HK's too. I've seen the P2k and USP standard (quite big for me). How would the USP compact size compare to size of the P2k and USP, and how do they compare shooting too?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
All the specs are here: http://www.hk-usa.com/le_products.html The P2K is only slightly longer and is listed as wider than the USP compact but it is a little misleading as the wider measurement is due to the ambi slide release levers on the P2k which the USP does not have. The P2K is arguably more concealable due to the tapered slide. The shooting experience is very similar and they use the same recoil reduction design. One of the biggest differences of course is that the USP can be configured in so many different ways and is capable of being carried C&L. The P2k with its interchangeable backstraps would win in the ergos department. The P2K has the perfect grip length IMO. I don't remember how it compared to the USP compact. If you're into hanging stuff off your pistol, the USP has a proprietary rail so you'll need an adapter. Of course both pistols are very reliable and durable.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
With th LEM trigger they are ok. The standard DA/SA trigger is just craptastic.

I like the compact better than the fullsize. Mostly due to the weight of the slide. Much heavier than it needs to be. Mass is good for recoil dampening, but not when it is reciprocating mass. Also, two stage recoil springs are more common on compacts, so you can't be as picky about the weird sight movement during rapid fire caused by it. Then there is the high bore axis. I'm in the vast minority with regard to the mag release as I can reach it with my strong hand thumb just fine and actually kind of liked the control layout. It did go bang reliably though.

Had a fullsize USP, was my first gun. Got rid of it now that I know better. If they were cheaper, i'd consider one with a LEM trigger. But at their current prices, I would go elsewhere.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've owned a USPc in .45...and now have a P2000 LEM 9mm...I definitely prefer the P2000 over the USP for both shooting and for carry. While the P2k and USPc are dimensionally similar, as has already been mentioned already the P2000 is more ergonomic and just seems more comfortable to carry.

·
Registered
190 Posts
To be honest I love my P-2000. Ive got it in a SA/DA which I frankly prefer over the LEM. Its my main carry gun. However I love my M&P's as well. The HK's are great guns...but its just going to come down to what feels the most natural in your paw. I'll have a week carrying an M&P, and an HK the next. You just cant beat these M&P's for bang for the buck though IMO. They are a doggon' good reliable gun so far. So shoot away and see what feels good to ya. If you get a chance though...try a P30. I tried it once, and already have one on the way as a result...unless...of course...you live in one of those "peoples republic states."

·
Registered
14 Posts
USP40c and M&P 40c here (among other things
) I love them both. I have Variant 1 sa/da safety decock. I am used to that manual of arms. I typically carry the USP. At first I didn't like the LEM trigger when I fondled it at shops and shows, but it is growing on me lately. I may have mine converted. I shot the USP in IDPA last year, and it was rough having to go DA first shot against all the Glocks and M&P's. I didn't realize that I could have gone c&l but it would have put me in ESP instead of SSP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HKs are excellent pistols I'm sure. Here's the problem I can't seem to overcome with HK. Are they really worth the additional $300-$400 more than a GLOCK or an M&P? I just don't seem them being that much more superior to these other pistols. I may be wrong but that's just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Calculated said:
HKs are excellent pistols I'm sure. Here's the problem I can't seem to overcome with HK. Are they really worth the additional $300-$400 more than a GLOCK or an M&P? I just don't seem them being that much more superior to these other pistols. I may be wrong but that's just my humble opinion.

USP's re around $125 more than Glock and the M&P. P2000/P2SK is around $200 more. I think it comes down to personal preference .For the improvement in accuracy, placement of magazine release, and general refinement, HK's are worth the price.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The P30 and HK .45 are significantly more than an M&P and I would expect them to remain that way for some time. I do not think either is worth the price premium over the M&P especially since the M&P's I am seeing these days are showing much more consistency and better quality control. I have shot both of them fairly extensively and they are nice but not that nice. I don't like the triggers, high bore axis, or mag release. It seems to me that unless you buy a USP there is a gap in the Hk line for .40's right now. I don't know if the P30 is supposed to come out in .40 or what.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts