MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to both MP-Pistol dot com and my new M&P 9mm Compact. I am in the market now for holsters. I've broken my needs down to 3 types and I think I have the first 2 covered fairly well, but any input is much appreciated. My main question centers around a dedicated CCW holster.

1) OWB - Something I can wear around the house, at the range and/or anytime I have jacket or something that gives a lot of cover. I have a Blackhawk Sherpa for my Sig P220 and I was planning on getting one for my new Compact 9mm.

2) IWB/clip on style: I was looking for something I could get immediately that will give me a IWB option as well as I can use it for very casual wear..i.e. jeans and no heavy belt, around the house, etc. I like what I've seen so far about the Don Hume H715-M W.C.: Waistband Clip-On. The price is right too. I'd love any feedback on this one.

3) IWB/Normal CCW wear: So far, based on all of my reading and research prior to picking the S&W M&P Compact, most folks were always saying Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 or Comp Tac CTAC when the question of "best IWB CCW holster" came up. Same seems true now that I'm focused just on the M&P market.

For those that have used each or better yet, both, is there any significant difference or reason why to pick one over the other? I know the wait is significant for the MS VM2 as well as more expensive. The CTAC is supposedly more available as well as less cost. I'm fairly new to CCW so I don't have any experience or bias for or against the leather vs. klndex. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
1) OWB - Something I can wear around the house, at the range and/or anytime I have jacket or something that gives a lot of cover. I have a Blackhawk Sherpa for my Sig P220 and I was planning on getting one for my new Compact 9mm.

The Blackhawk is fine, but I don't really like the retention system. I have one for my G19, but really prefer the Comp-Tac FBI Paddle for OWB. I have one for my M&Pc .40, and my 1911. It retains fine, is uber easy on/off and the draw is smoother and faster, at least for me. YMMV.

2) IWB/clip on style: I was looking for something I could get immediately that will give me a IWB option as well as I can use it for very casual wear..i.e. jeans and no heavy belt, around the house, etc. I like what I've seen so far about the Don Hume H715-M W.C.: Waistband Clip-On. The price is right too. I'd love any feedback on this one.

For IWB, I am very happy with the Comp-Tac Infidel with the belt clip. Easy on/off, easy re-holster, sufficiently comfortable. I followed the advice of one of the other guys here Morgan Walker, maybe?) and added some moleskin to the parts that touch my skin when I'm not wearing a T-shirt between it and my body. I have the Don Hume 715 for an older model S&W, and it's is OK, but can't compete with the Infidel.

3) IWB/Normal CCW wear: So far, based on all of my reading and research prior to picking the S&W M&P Compact, most folks were always saying Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 or Comp Tac CTAC when the question of "best IWB CCW holster" came up. Same seems true now that I'm focused just on the M&P market.

The Sparks VM2, Gary Brommeland's MaxCon V or VI or Nate Gable's Canute (UBG Gunleather) are hard to beat. Nate's turnaround time is significantly less, as is his price, but frankly I'm anxiously awaiting Gary's MaxCon VI. The C-TAC is also hard to disagree with. Any of these will do very nicely, and the choice is really just your preference for leather over kydex, delivery time and cost. The other custom holster guys are also excellent.

You will get a lot of advice from this forum, and it will all be good. Just read and apply your own personal criteria to the choice. I just read over this response, and decided it might not be much help, since I am very satisfied with the wide variety of holsters I mentioned, but over all, I have used all of the ones I mentioned (except the MaxCon VI, which is on order) and can say from experience that these are all great holsters.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Crossbreed QwikClip works for me. I use them for a variety of guns. Also check out the offereings from KD Holsters. Shown below is an M&Pc 9mm in a QwikClip (great with jeans):

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
IWB - Comp-Tac CTAC. I have CTACs for each of my carry guns. I can't imagine a better concealment holster. Do a search on this forum, a lot has been said about the CTAC.

OWB - Comp-Tac FBI Paddle. Sits close to the body, and its slight forward cant makes it easy to conceal. Easy on and off, yet very secure. I have several of these as well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
638 Posts
choochboost said:
IWB - Comp-Tac CTAC. I have CTACs for each of my carry guns. I can't imagine a better concealment holster. Do a search on this forum, a lot has been said about the CTAC.

OWB - Comp-Tac FBI Paddle. Sits close to the body, and its slight forward cant makes it easy to conceal. Easy on and off, yet very secure. I have several of these as well.

Holsters are like women, cars, and everything else. Personal needs and tastes vary and one' built plays a big role in how successful your purchase will be. I have a Comp-Tac FBI Paddle and would not say it's favorite holster - then again, I much prefer IWBs as a rule for maximum concealment. 'Love my Tucker Answer, Crossbreed SuperTuck (find it more comfortable for all-day carry than the CTAC) and Crossbreed Qwikclip (fast on and off and very stable, and am now looking forward to receiving my KD IWB for my M&Pc.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
choochboost said:

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up an M&P9c at the end of this month and I'll be looking for either an Infidel or CTAC holster for it. Maybe I better order it now?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
m4arc said:
[quote name='choochboost']They do.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up an M&P9c at the end of this month and I'll be looking for either an Infidel or CTAC holster for it. Maybe I better order it now?[/quote]

It should only take a week to receive your order. If you're unsure about whether to get the Infidel or the CTAC, you could order both and send one back. They have a great return policy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='m4arc'][quote name='choochboost']They do.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up an M&P9c at the end of this month and I'll be looking for either an Infidel or CTAC holster for it. Maybe I better order it now?[/quote]

It should only take a week to receive your order. If you're unsure about whether to get the Infidel or the CTAC, you could order both and send one back. They have a great return policy.[/quote]

I'm good to go with the CTAC. I have one for my M&P9 and one for my G19. I want to try an Infidel now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts