MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The .40 is loud as hell w/o earplugs. I was out shooting some clays w/ my brother in law earlier today and a stray dog started walking towards us from about 70 yards away or so. I didn't want to kill it just make it go away, so I fired one shot at the ground in front of it. It ran off, but my ears are still ringing 2 hours later.

Everyone, make sure you use ear protection even if you are just out at a farm shooting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Guns are loud, Yes. I really don't think you should be shooting at anything

you don't fully intend to destroy though.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Back when I started shooting seriously, a lot of people didn't use ear protection, and there was quite a campaign to get people to start using hearing protection. I'd go out to the range for an afternoon of shooting and come back with the worst headaches, that got me started using ear protection, and I've used it religiously every since, and my hearing is still good, but a lot of the guys who were shooting a lot before that had lost a lot of hearing. I grew up around music, I played in the band since I was a kid, and continued in various types of music through college, I like music, and would sure miss hearing it in the detail that I am used to!

Use hearing protection, it's very important, don't ruin your hearing for the rest of your life like so many have done in the past.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the past, when I was a teenager, I have shot several guns w/o earplugs. Mostly 9mm, .22 and .45. This was the first time that I have heard a .40 w/o plugs and I never want to again.

Besides, a strange dog 70 yards away isn't a threat, yet. It wasn't acting in a threatening manner, but it was on private property. If I had wanted to kill it it would be dead. I didn't know if it was just lost or maybe belonged to one of the neighbors. I would feel bad if I killed some little girl's dog. Had it been aggressive, the 12ga. would have taken care of it quite nicely.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
guns go bang buddy.... I know my hearing will diminish due to the noise exposure in Iraq oh well gotta have proof to get the pudding so I am good..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have spent most of my life working in the performance automotive business installing stereo systems and building race cars. I have built some loud systems (155db) and my hearing isn't the best anymore, but this was nuts. I can only imagine someone that has to use their gun for self defense in an enclosed area like a hallway or a car.

I just posted this to remind everyone to always use hearing protection.

G56, I was the same way. When I started shooting, no one wore protection either. I also played in a band in college. At that point, I was the only one in the band to wear ear protection during a set. Now the other guys either can't hear crap or have hearing aids.

·
Registered
910 Posts
One day I was out at the range all by myself shooting my 11.5" SBR AR-15. I shot it a few times to get on paper, went out and moved my target out further, dorked around a bit, called my wife at work to BS for a while, and when I got done I sat down and squeezed a round off - completely forgetting to put my earmuffs back on. Our range is outdoors, but there's a pretty low roof right above you to protect you from sun/rain. Having a 5.56 round go off 11.5" from your ear with a compensator directing some of the blast back towards you and with a low hanging roof it will screw you up for a few minutes for sure. It took me a couple minutes to figure out what the hell had happened, and why it was so damn loud.

The gun is uncomfortable to shoot even with the earmuffs on. Earplugs and muffs and it's fine. Or just suppressed it's fine and no hearing protection it's fine. With nothing... it's like someone shooting a gun right next to your head and simultaneously punching you in both ears.

Not one of my proudest moments.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I think some of the worst offenders I have shot would be my p3at and the sks!! We were out on my friends farm target practicing and everybody forgot their friggin ear plugs/muffs! I have let of 5 rapid shots with the m&p with out protection it was horrible but still, how do cops cope during a shootout?

·
Registered
910 Posts
mad212 said:
I think some of the worst offenders I have shot would be my p3at and the sks!! We were out on my friends farm target practicing and everybody forgot their friggin ear plugs/muffs! I have let of 5 rapid shots with the m&p with out protection it was horrible but still, how do cops cope during a shootout?

Tons of heart-pumping adrenaline would be my guess. Everything I've read says most people involved in shootings claim they don't even remember hearing the guns go off.

Craziness.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think that its called auditory exclusion. I hunted ducks for years and never used ear plugs. Most of the time I did not remember hearing the sound of the gun or feeling the kick of the recoil. I was so focused on hitting the target that other sensations were simply blocked out. I suspect that in a life or death situation the same would happen.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm curious ... how much of the sound comes from the explosion of the primer, the ignition of the powder, and the bullet breaking the sound barrier?

I'm told that some folks shoot nearly silent .22LR and I saw an episode of Ted Nugent's show where he was using a .22LR round that barely went "tick" when the primer was struck.

Anyway, if someone knows the acoustical break-down, I think it would be neat to have a better understanding of where most of the noise is originating.

Cet.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The noise comes from the uncorking of the barrel once the bullet exist, and the gas behind it expands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts