MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just got done with my home trigger job today, I was pretty happy with the way it turned out, it seems to be around the 4.5 lb mark which is good for me. The polishing definitely did away wit hthe stock sandpaperey trigger. The only thing is that I wish the trigger would be stationed at a point further toward the rear of the trigger guard. To me it feels like it is very soft until it really catches near the rear of the pull, there isn't any slop however from the point it engages and after the first trigger pull it is very nice to let it just go past the reset point. I just would like to have the trigger rest at the point of engagement. How can I pull this off. In the last 3 days I have done this, stippled, polished the barrel, and painted my sights....so I am kinda wanting to get it perfect for the range this weekend.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
koumiss45 said:
I just would like to have the trigger rest at the point of engagement.
IANAG, but I don't think this is possible due to the nature of the M&P's trigger safety.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a good reason...lol. Bowie tactical has one on their website that looks like it could be shortened. It is the second one on the page of his m&p work. I am thinking of media blasting the slide, but I love the look of the polished barrel against the melonite.

·
Registered
97 Posts
IMOH I don't think this extra travel has a negative impact on much of anything. The more important aspect is the short reset and little over travel. That combined with a nice smooth pull is sweetness.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Shoot the pistol from reset, aka "catching the link" and youll soon forget about the pretravel, or takeup.

The only time it bugs me is when Im shooting weak hand only, then I wish it was further back.

Ill soon address this with a pretravel stop.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is exactly what i am talking about! I do catch the link already, it is that first shot that really bugs me. I shoot a lot of single shot exercises with some buddies...and i don't really mind it as much as I like to complain about it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You can put a pretravel set screw in the front of the trigger. I have done this on quite a few competition only guns and it works very well. You just don't want to set it back so far that you disable the FP stop. I basically set it so that the trigger bar just touches the FP plunger but doesn't actually raise it at all. This will not work so well on a 45 if it has the thumb safety, not that it cannot just cannot set it back as far. You also want to re cut the trigger safety so that it works again. I have a few that I have done with the pretravel reduction and welded over travel that makes for a really short total travel. I may try and take some video of the different triggers so that the differences can be seen.

But to answer your question yes you can do it, just do yourself a favor and do it without disabling any safeties.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Dan,

You mean you put a set screw in the trigger bar, or actually in in the bottom of the trigger itself? (ala 1911). (edit-text in italics was a late-night brainfart; the 1911 set screw is for overtravel, 1911 trigger tabs are for pretravel.)

I was eyeing the angled flat in the trigger bar where it contacts the internal metal of the slide stop, as a place to tap for a set screw.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I put it in the top of the trigger just inside the frame and just below where the slide stop wraps around the front. As you unscrew the screw it sets the trigger back further. For competition purposes you have to do all these mods on the inside of the gun as you cannot have any external modifications including trigger stops.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I am honored to have Dan Burwell even reply to my post, I was just surprised to see him on the reply list. If anyone figures this out, post a picture on here please. I never even had the sear block out until today... so I am shooting in the dark ( without night sights). I appreciate all the ideas that have been put on this forum as a whole. I usually work on mustangs, and I am pretty good in that aspect. Gun smithing is a new area to me, ( and by no means do I consider myself a gunsmith). I can't wait to get a second m&p or xd and give it to Dan to trick out for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts