MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally pick up my M&P9c on the 9th and I just have a quick question. From what I've read all I would need to make a 40S&W caliber conversion kit is a slide, barrel, and a magazine. Is this correct? I've searched but I haven't found a firm answer. I can't justify another $600 (California price w/tax & fees) for something that I wouldn't shoot that often. I can talk myself into spending $300 for an intermediate to fill the gap between 9mm and my 45s while I wait for the 45c to hit the market. Has anybody tried this or have first hand knowledge?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Definitely would need a new slide!! The OD of the 9 and 40 bar is different, and so is the hole in the end of the slide that they stick out of :wink:

I don't think S&W will sell a slide will they? If you find out let us know, please.

yes that is all you would need by the way.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
coltman1985 said:
I don't think S&W will sell a slide will they? If you find out let us know, please.
Midway is taking backorders with 30+ day delivery for the slide assembly. The price is $196 w/white dot sites, and $339 with night sights. Delivery estimates are 2-3 months but they don't ding your card until it ships. I think I'll go ahead and order the slide and then wait and order the barrel and magazines when the slide ships.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Thanks for the info and the link. I have been wanting to get a "conversion" bar. for my fullsize 40 to go down to a 9mm. Maybe a slide assembly is the way to go. What isn't included?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coltman1985 said:
Thanks for the info and the link. I have been wanting to get a "conversion" bar. for my fullsize 40 to go down to a 9mm. Maybe a slide assembly is the way to go. What isn't included?
I'm sort of winging it here but from what I understand from what I understand the assembly is a complete assembly including sights. So I'm going by the premise that the only other thing that I will need is a barrel and a couple of magazines. I'd probably pick up a guide rod assembly just because they are so cheap and that way the only thing I'm swapping is a complete assembly - but that's a luxury.

I wanted a compact 9mm for the cheap ammo and it's what my dealer had in stock. This is kind of my way of dipping my toe back into the world of compact 40S&W pistols cheaply. My Kahr PM40 is way too much of a handful to shoot often and I'm hoping that the M&P will be less unfun.

FYI: With S&W's backlog I'll be shocked if see that slide in less than 3 months.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I did the math last night...

new complete gun $460.00

less slide -$196.00

less bar. -$100.00

less rebate -$50.00

less 4 mags -120.00

------------

equals $-6.00

Looks like I would be better off to buy another complete gun, apply for the rebate and free mags!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably true in a lot of states and I did the math to. Where I live they sell for roughly 530 + 8.5% tax = 575.05 plus a + $35 state registration fee = $610 plus you over priced the barrel by $25. All I'm saving doing it this way is about $120 if you count 4 mags and the rebate. Plus by the time I sent the new 40 in for a trigger job with shipping that adds about another $180 so total savings should be about $300ish. So yes good thinking many places but this should work out for me. Besides I'm doing this for the fun of it, and wouldn't otherwise have added another 40S&W to my collection. It's just not my favorite thing to shoot in a compact.

Plus our Commissars stuck us with a one gun a month law and since I'm thinking about picking up a full sized 9mm (maybe) I'd have been bumping up against that unless the rebate gets extended again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
is the guide rod spring the same between the two? i want to get a .40 caliber and drop in a .357 sig barrel into it...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 12 of 12 Posts