MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after all this is labeled 'General Discussion'

Anyone here sold a boat before?

I'm selling a year 2000 17' sterndrive bowrider and get calls from people who want me to take them out for a 'test drive to see how it handles' before they buy it. I bought the boat new from a marine dealer and obviously they don't give people the privilege of taking boats out for a test run. Start and run sure, but no lake cruises. The reason I'm selling the boat is because I have no time for such pleasures anymore and that includes the investment of 3-4 hours to launch and cruise on the river (I live in a crowded metro area, waiting lines to launch a boat) in contrast to test driving a car which usually doesn't take more than about 20 minutes.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Best two days of a boaters life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Maybe a boat broker could help you if ones around but they want to get paid too. Good luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been a boater all my life. I have also bought and sold many boats. If I had the boat in a slip then I would take them for a quick ride. If it was a small boat on a trailer I would only run the engine on the trailer for them for a few minutes. I don't think a sea trial is needed for a small boat especially if it takes 3 or 4 hours to do it.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I've been in the same situation of everyone wanting a test drive. One way to to make sure only serious buyers get a test drive is to make them give you a $500 deposit towards the purchase of the boat if they want a test drive.

If everything runs as you advertised, then you knock $500 off the purchase price.

If everything doesn't run as you advertised, then you give them the money back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts