MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have used it exclusively (as carry ammo) for quite a while now.

I initially blew off 100 rounds or so, to check it out... and everytime i get a new gun, I blow 50 or so through it, to make sure the gun likes it.

I've even, and I hope this dosent offend anyone, tested it on dead hogs. I'm not into abusing corpses... my "uncle in law" is a hog farmer, and sometimes some die. Occasionally we have tested defense rounds in a deceased animal, to see the flesh and bone reaction.

These arent some magical super expanding rounds, but they never failed to expand and they alays did the damage i wanted to see in a defense round.

Now, I'm concerned. I got a .45 last week. all tests went well. the other day, we had the opportunity for a "hog test"... the .45 acp one, 5 rounds... none of them expanded. they all cut straight through the hog, and hit the haystack.

when we fished them out... all of them where intact, not expanded, and 2 of them actually folded inward.

I dont know if i have an odd box, or if the .45 is no good. I have however, NEVER had any problems with .9 or .40. These are some good rounds for sure.

you didnt specify your chosen caliber... I'll give thumbs up to any of them, but I'm undecided on .45 right now. Hopefully, it was just a odd box, or an odd hog. lol.

·
Registered
380 Posts
ok, the 230 +p is what i had a small problem with. It's probably just a few strange rounds or something, as i said... no problem feeding or firing.

when it comes down to it... even if those rounds didnt expand... the human body dosent respond well to projectiles of any sort puncturing into it. lol.

you're good to go.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
f-bomb said:
when it comes down to it... even if those rounds didnt expand... the human body dosent respond well to projectiles of any sort puncturing into it. lol.
If that is acceptable to you, then just save yourself some money and load up with FMJ.

·
Registered
380 Posts
no, choochboost, i certainly dont mean it like that.

out of hundreds of these things, a few where odd. that's not desirable...

I'm just saying, condsidering other bad lots of something else might have FTF or whatever...

I just meant... fired but failed to expand, is still better than didnt fire.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
rlmxracer said:
I have not seen any mention of Hornady TAP-FPD has anyone tested or used it?
I have tested it in 9mm.

It tends to expand less, and penetrate more, than it's competitors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts