MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already have a full size.. The compact is .8in less in length,1.2in less in height and .1in less wide.

How much difference does this make in the real world?

Would especially like to hear from anyone who has carried both sizes and can compare.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Barrel length is almost a non-issue when it comes to concealment. The hardest thing to conceal is the grip. Most can conceal the fullsize but with the short grip of the compact its that much easier.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Personally, I can conceal a Gov't sized 1911 without a hitch, and with very little printing (in the right attire, of course). The M&Ps are practically invisible in normal clothing for me, especially withthe flat-bottomed mags. The grip is, after all, the hardest part to conceal - especially IWB when the muzzle is hidden. I think you'll find it far easier to conceal than its service-sized counterparts.

Not to get lewd...but here's an association: Ask a woman what difference that 1 inch can make
This equivalently applies to concealing a pistol grip.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I carry a MP40 fullsize in a CTAC and an untucked shirt... When standing, I conceal the pistol with no problems (they wont even know ur packing). But when seated or bending ur body even a bit, the grip prints at once.

IMO, The compact will surely be easier to conceal coz of the shorter grip. The real questions are... does the 1/2" shorter barrel make a big difference in terms of accuracy and recoil for you? Is the +5 ammo capacity difference an issue for you? Do you intend to compete with this pistol?

With question#1, maybe someone out there who owns both fullsize and compact of the same caliber can aswer this.

If there aint any diff from a 25yard shot, might be swayed to buy one when it comes out here.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have carried both.

The grip in the compact is easier to conceal. And I shoot the compact just about as good as I shoot the fullsize. In fact, I usually shoot it just as good. The compact does have a little more recoil; but it's easily controlled.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Good holster and good location on "your" body and you should be able to conceal anything!! I have had a "print" on occassion with a fullsize, but not one that looks like a "gun." If anyone where to ask, "It is my 2-way radio."

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Extra inch not a problem...

choochboost said:
Barrel length is almost a non-issue when it comes to concealment. The hardest thing to conceal is the grip. Most can conceal the fullsize but with the short grip of the compact its that much easier.

I totally agree with the above statement. No problem with barrel concealment, it's the grip that's harder to hide. A lot depends on the weather. Cooler weather permits the wearing of more clothing thereby easier to conceal a weapon. The summer months, especially here in Texas, can be a little more challenging. I use a Desantis Nemesis for summer pocket carry of a S & W 442 snubbie but I can use several different types of holsters in the winter for larger guns. I'm still looking for a good outside the belt holster that will accomodate and snug up my full sized MP 40 and/or my MP 9mm compact. Maybe like a Galco Fletch?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I recently ordered a Desantis thumb break scabbard for my M&P9c. I'll give a report and pictures when I pick it up on the 17th. As long as it doesn't push out too far it'll conceal with a regular shirt over it, no doubt.

I can hide my 1911 in a very similar Bianchi holster, and that's got a full sized grip and an extended beavertail. The M&P is tiny compared to it, just slightly wider.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Onuma said:
I recently ordered a Desantis thumb break scabbard for my M&P9c. I'll give a report and pictures when I pick it up on the 17th. As long as it doesn't push out too far it'll conceal with a regular shirt over it, no doubt.

I can hide my 1911 in a very similar Bianchi holster, and that's got a full sized grip and an extended beavertail. The M&P is tiny compared to it, just slightly wider.

Thanks. I'll be looking foward to your report. As I said in a earlier post, I'll be buying a belt holster that snugs the grip up close for better concealment and comfort soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts